Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 01:26 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,601,320 times

Advertisements

They're hotter than you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 01:36 PM

1,969 posts, read 5,956,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williboy View Post
Well, if you're a guy and he's a guy and he's trying to pick you up, that's a pretty good sign that he's gay.

LOL - thats a fair assumption I think

Old 02-27-2008, 10:37 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,260,315 times
Funny thing that there haven't been any serious posts! Does anyone really know? I don't really think there is a way to tell. Its sad these days when we have to read into things when someone is friendly, but lets face it-- whether its a member of the opposite sex or not, when someone is friendly in a given environment don't we automotically interpret that as flirting LOL

Old 02-28-2008, 11:19 PM

1,281 posts, read 2,366,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianajones View Post
what would be the top 10 signs that a man is gay. I swear a gay guy was trying to pick me up at the movies the other day.
If you seriously want to know, why not provide examples of the encounter so readers can give you their opinion if it was friendly banter or if the guy was trying to hit on you. I mean did the guy just make some friendly chatter about the movie or did they ask if you were available for drinks later at their place?

Old 02-29-2008, 01:00 PM

22,143 posts, read 19,198,797 times
you can tell if someone's trying to hit on you, whether it's a man or a woman. If it's a man they're gay or bi. If it's a woman they're straight or bi.

Also if they're hitting on you something about you is making their gaydar go off, or their bidar.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:02 PM

22,143 posts, read 19,198,797 times
as far as the difference between someone "hitting on you" or "just being friendly" how do you make that distinction with a woman talking to you? Same thing applies in the gay world. Another good way to find out that I find to be quite effective, I ask, "Are you flirting with me or just being friendly?"

Old 02-29-2008, 01:03 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,667,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
Also if they're hitting on you something about you is making their gaydar go off, or their bidar.
Not really. One friend of mine is gay - he hits on straight guys to "see their reactions" or because he "might get lucky anyway".

Old 07-22-2008, 02:19 AM

10 posts, read 26,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
Well, either he was or wasn't. If he was, and that's scary to you, just say you're flattered but no thanks. It's no different than when a woman you aren't interested in hits on you.
I really hope your kidding their because that is a tremendous difference, with a woman I am unintrested in I can readilly and respectfully decline, but a man did that and if in some way it can be construed as borderline sexual harrasment, I would certainly drill right in the grill repeatedly without even a second thought.

I'm certainly no gay basher or homo phobe and in fact I know a couple a bi individuals and are quite civil with them but with a potential situation like this all bets are off.

Old 07-22-2008, 02:49 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spree15 View Post
I really hope your kidding their because that is a tremendous difference, with a woman I am unintrested in I can readilly and respectfully decline, but a man did that and if in some way it can be construed as borderline sexual harrasment, I would certainly drill right in the grill repeatedly without even a second thought.

I'm certainly no gay basher or homo phobe and in fact I know a couple a bi individuals and are quite civil with them but with a potential situation like this all bets are off.
Are you saying that if a gay man flirted with you, mistakingly thinking you were gay, you would punch them in the face? Do you think you might be overreacting just a wee bit??

The civil thing to do is the same you would do if a woman you weren't interested in flirted with you. If you had to make a declaration then just say, hey I'm not interested or hey I gotta go. How is it sexual harassment when a gay man does it to you but if its YOU doing it to a straight woman (who is also not interested) its not sexual harrasment?

Old 07-22-2008, 04:36 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
I think Lindsey is right. Women get hit on all of the time, and usually by people we're not attracted to.

If a man seemed overly friendly he may or may not be gay. Does it really matter? If he asks you to dinner you could go. If you discovered he was gay, oh well. Just be nice and shrug it off.

I had a female classmate who seemed overly friendly. She was from Sweden or someplace. We went to the movies, out to eat, on hikes, etc. I asked my lesbian friend if she thought she was a lesbian too. We couldn't figure it out. We thought it was likely, but since she never initiated anything; it was never very awkward. She knew I liked men, didn't know whether or not I was bi, and eventually the semester ended and she went to Africa.

It was sort of odd. But she was smart and interesting. I guess I played dumb on the sexuality side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships