Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 07:58 AM

69 posts, read 55,842 times

Advertisements

thanks all.. i have OCD and obessive thoughts.. i needed outside reassurance. i have gotten good straitfoward advice on there before.. i am trying so hard to over come this

this felt bigger than my typical concerns
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2016, 08:26 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninabell View Post
my BF called his ex wife "my wife" during an argument with me
They were married FIFTEEN years. He slipped up. Come on, you are better than this.

Old 11-09-2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:
To me it's way different than a name skip.
to me " my wife" carries a lot of weight and meaning.. and I can't help but wonder why that type of lifetime commitment wording came out of his mouth
Are you pressuring him to get married?

Old 11-09-2016, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Are you pressuring him to get married?
no, we both have kids and its only been 2 years.. we have talked about it and both want to be together

Old 11-09-2016, 08:29 AM

19,697 posts, read 20,221,774 times
Well, he was either an idiot or being malicious.. Intention is what matters most.

Old 11-09-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
we were together through his divorce (got together After his separation tho) and i had to watch it all and it was intrusive and stressful to me, to watch the fights and the court and all of it.. i have always felt threatened because she was his only girlfriend ever and they were married for So long. it ended very ugly, she left and dragged him through court
Aaaaaaah. Now the crux of this comes out.

You are going nuts over it because you feel guilty and insecure.

Old 11-09-2016, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Aaaaaaah. Now the crux of this comes out.

You are going nuts over it because you feel guilty and insecure.
i dont feel guilty at all.. they were separated for a year before we got together..the paperwork was already in the court, it just takes a long time to sort it all out.... but i have no guilt at all

Old 11-09-2016, 08:34 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,943,603 times
Quote:
I'm not. I love him so much and I'm so hurt by this. I just feel that it's possible that it has some huge meaning that I don't want to ignore.. I have ignored things with other relationships in the past, stupidly
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
You're creating a crisis where none exists.
Quote:
its been 2 years. we talk about marriage. i brought her up.. and he got frustrated with me

hes is really honest. but i dont expect anyone, even the most honest man to say im thinking of my ex wife as my wife still, or i sometimes miss her or anything like that to his current girlfriend.. no one would say that!
This guy almost drowned but you are already talking about swimming.

Yeah, he slipped but this is still a very fresh wound.

Old 11-09-2016, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post

Yeah, he slipped but this is still a very fresh wound.
i guess i ask myself i have any business being with someone who is still wounded from a past relationship.. isnt that a bad place for me to be?

(it ended 3 years ago, is that fresh?)

Old 11-09-2016, 08:46 AM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
Quote:
To me it's way different than a name skip. Once I said my ex's name when calling my son and he called her name when talking about his daughter.. that did Not bother me.. to me " my wife" carries a lot of weight and meaning.. and I can't help but wonder why that type of lifetime commitment wording came out of his mouth
In my experience, if you are referring to something that happened in the past, DURING that relationship, it is easy enough for your brain to pull up the past tense "My Wife" rather than default to the present tense "My ex-wife".

So if he was saying something like "______ used to do the same darn thing" he might say MY WIFE. It does NOT have some deep meaning that you need to deal with.

I think you have a choice. Make a big deal out of this and make your BF feel small and stupid, or forgive him and move on with your life.

YOU brought her up? cheap shot.

If you have insecurities, OCD and obsessive thoughts, get some help and take some meds. That's a poor excuse for being short tempered and demanding of your SO. Your kids deserve better, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships