Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do women flirt with men
To show general interest. 23 36.51%
For no reason at all. 28 44.44%
To show an interest in having sex with a man. 2 3.17%
To show a possible romantic interest. 10 15.87%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 02:44 PM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,233,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnycakes View Post
I think some women flirt just to boost their own self confidence by seeing if the flirtations get returned, but with no serious intention of it going any further than that.
I completely agree with this post and the previous one (the guy with socks going west). I've been guilty of this myself in the past when I was going through certain phases in my life and was totally aware of what I was doing but unable to control it.

It's completely a self esteem thing. If you're interested back I've scored a point in my head. Sorted. Off home now,thanks, bye. Terrible I know, but sometimes we all act selfishly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 10:20 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
RH!
i can now put down my lamp i have found an honest man (person).
diogenes walking

Old 02-28-2008, 02:37 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,233,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
RH!
i can now put down my lamp i have found an honest man (person).
diogenes walking
lol I must just stress that I wasn't speaking for all women though! I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who are much better behaved.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:46 AM

531 posts, read 1,743,507 times
And men DON'T flirt??????

Old 02-28-2008, 05:20 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
I think too there are different levels of flirting, I know that I have been known to be flirtatious with men depending on how they are reacting to me just because we are talking, not because I have any romantic or sexual interest in them.

I also know that I have shamefully flirted with older men in my days of working in retail, tickle their ego a bit and they are more likely to purchase what your trying to sell to them.

However I have never used flirting to signal that I want to have sex with someone. Unless you count being flirtatious with someone I am already involved with.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:18 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,290,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by appalachiangirl View Post
And men DON'T flirt??????
Yeah, but we just want sex..... No mystery......

Old 02-28-2008, 10:39 AM

13,601 posts, read 21,385,992 times
Its hard to know a woman's motivation alot of the time.It could be any of the above choices.

I use to have a friend,she only wanted to be friends.At first I tried to make it more but she didn't want it.So we would hang out go bar hopping,girls would ask her if I was her boyfriend and she'd say no and then turn them on to me.Alot of her friends liked me but she didn't,but still would flirt with me to a extent but I knew she didn't really plan on doing anything.

Guys would ask me if she was my girlfriend,I'd say no and I remember one guy saying to "so what are you,chopped liver?".lol

Then one night at a party I ran into her after not seeing her for a couple months and she gave me this "look" and said "something is different about you".Next thing we are locking lips,I asked her why now and she said she saw the way I blow off girls after a while(I didn't mean to) and thought Id do it to her also.Well I did,because after being rejected all the long I kinda just couldn't get past that.Didn't mean to but conversation with her in the past made me just have reserves.But this is a while ago and I was a young pup.

Anyway flirting can get your hopes up sometimes and it can be a let down if the signals get crossed.These days I don't see a need to beat around the bush.

Rachel Whitman from Miami where ever you are hope you are doing good girl,I miss ya,hope we can run into each other and be friends again.

Last edited by lionking; 02-28-2008 at 10:58 AM..

Old 02-29-2008, 08:35 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medicineman View Post
i have experienced a woman who flirted with me, so much so i thought she wanted a relationship. she was asking me "where do you see yourself in 3 yrs? what makes you different from all the other men?" we talked for 3 hrs or so, she smiled and looked me over and all that, and she gave me her number and wanted mine. i was 85% interested, only to find out about 3 days later, she already has someone.
She may very well have just decided if she could engender a little interest from another man, her man would get a bit jealous and pay her more attention.

She could also have hit a rough spot in her relationship and have started flirting with other men as a step to leaving him, then he gets worried and starts wooing her again so she goes back to him. Happens all the time.

Flirting is a way of vaguely showing interest and getting to know someone. It is a long ways from jumping into the sack or marrying. It is just the first steps and done right is fun. How many times have you flirted but with a bit more interaction, decided the target was not of interest to you after all? I think our male-female interactions have gotten seriously mis-wired in modern times so we misunderstand signals or take them way to seriously much too soon.

I have had men hit on me when I wasn't flirting with them at all and not give up with gentle or more explicit rejection. That gets creepy and dangerous.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:37 AM

2 posts, read 4,684 times
men do flirt with ugly women.
My husband flirts with everything that moves and is female.
Everywhere we go. I also wandered why women we passed laughed, or gave a suggestive look
behind me, which is where my husband walks. Always right behind my neck, where I can't see
what he does.
After several years, I discovered by looking in windows near by and seeing his reflection
that he rolled his eyes at other women when I was speaking, or gave looks like I was
crazy, or made crazy looks to make them laugh. I couldn't speak to any woman without
him commenting silently in the background. It got to where I couldn't have woman as
a friend because he would take over, and he would get in the middle and HE BECAME THE
FRIEND, and she would talk to me like I was dirt. Over and Over this happened.
We also go somewhere and he will nod his head at women in cars passing by, every single time.
It's like he has to be seen and liked by everywoman, or has to be acknowledged by every woman.
He had 3 sisters and a mom when he was growing up, and I think they doted on him and
fulfilled his every whim, and I think it's just never enough attention from women now.

I have loved him for 30 years, but he makes it very very hard to stay!

Old 01-21-2010, 09:43 AM

2 posts, read 4,684 times
men do flirt with ugly women.
My husband flirts with everything that moves and is female.
Everywhere we go. I also wondered why women we passed laughed, or gave a suggestive look
behind me, which is where my husband walks. Always right behind my neck, where I can't see
what he does.
After several years, I discovered by looking in windows near by and seeing his reflection
that he rolled his eyes at other women when I was speaking, or gave looks like I was
crazy, or made crazy looks to make them laugh. I couldn't speak to any woman without
him commenting silently in the background. It got to where I couldn't have a woman as
a friend because he would take over, and he would get in the middle and HE BECAME THE
FRIEND, and she would talk to me like I was dirt. Over and Over this happened.
We also go somewhere and he will nod his head at women in cars passing by, every single time.
It's like he has to be seen and liked by every woman, or has to be acknowledged by every woman.
He had 3 sisters and a mom when he was growing up, and I think the 4 women doted on him and
fulfilled his every whim, and I think it's just never enough attention from women now.

I have loved him for 30 years, but he makes it very very hard to stay!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships