Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 04:42 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,541,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
How does your co-worker know how old your fiancé is?
This is my question too. It is not your co-worker's business and I would politely tell her that if I wanted her opinion I would ask for it. She sounds jealous.

Why do you ask our opinion too, Cragnox? Any relationship can work if two people want the same things and love each other. As long as you talk about what you want like children, where to live, what kind of future to plan for etc. there is no reason this can not work. It is between you and her and nobody else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 05:01 PM

1,505 posts, read 1,810,323 times
If you are happy together, that's all that matters. Enjoy your relationship.

Old 11-28-2016, 05:37 PM

34 posts, read 22,196 times
Thanks for all the support! I do try to ignore the negative stuff, I don't know why she feels the need to be so rude about it. Very much looking forward to getting married. I know there are some obstacles but somewhat different things needed to take into account but really it's just important to treat her right and be honest and fair about things.

Also, the reason she knows is due to eavesdropping. It's not as if I ever went super public about it, but after we took a trip together I put a picture of us on my desk and she saw it and got curious asking some questions to which I was neutral on, however a short time later I was talking to a few guys I am friends with at work and brought it up and apparently she overheard.

Old 11-28-2016, 06:06 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
She's nosey. I'm happy you found someone.Congrats.

Old 11-28-2016, 06:32 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Congratulations! Many happy years together.

Old 11-28-2016, 08:06 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cragnox View Post
Thanks for all the support! I do try to ignore the negative stuff, I don't know why she feels the need to be so rude about it. Very much looking forward to getting married. I know there are some obstacles but somewhat different things needed to take into account but really it's just important to treat her right and be honest and fair about things.

Also, the reason she knows is due to eavesdropping. It's not as if I ever went super public about it, but after we took a trip together I put a picture of us on my desk and she saw it and got curious asking some questions to which I was neutral on, however a short time later I was talking to a few guys I am friends with at work and brought it up and apparently she overheard.
I'm married. No one has ever overheard a conversation discussing his age.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-28-2016, 08:11 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,026,621 times
Quote:
I am 30 and the woman I am getting married to is 42. We have been together three years and I really love her and have been very happy to be with her. I have dated women my age and nothing against them not at all as if they were bad just simply ended up not being compatible for the long term, I am not one that tries to view or say all women are like this or that.

We actually met at a concert and I got her number and we went on a few dates the rest is history lol. Most of my friends and family are fine with it we both have good jobs after we got engaged I moved into her house and haven't had hardly any issues living together at all. There is this woman at work though that is my age who has made a number of disparaging comments about it but I don't let it bother me. Do you think such a relationship is so wrong? She has said it's "gross" and said I am being selfish and just taking advantage of an older woman.
As long as you both are planning on not having children, I see no added risk
You say you like her so I believe you best of luck to you both

Old 11-29-2016, 08:06 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,449,916 times
Quote:
I am 30 and the woman I am getting married to is 42. We have been together three years and I really love her and have been very happy to be with her. I have dated women my age and nothing against them not at all as if they were bad just simply ended up not being compatible for the long term, I am not one that tries to view or say all women are like this or that.

We actually met at a concert and I got her number and we went on a few dates the rest is history lol. Most of my friends and family are fine with it we both have good jobs after we got engaged I moved into her house and haven't had hardly any issues living together at all. There is this woman at work though that is my age who has made a number of disparaging comments about it but I don't let it bother me. Do you think such a relationship is so wrong? She has said it's "gross" and said I am being selfish and just taking advantage of an older woman.
There's nothing gross about being 42 years old. How are you taking advantage of a woman if you're making your relationship legal? That is actually being respectful.

All relationships have challenges. Age is typically not a big deal unless the two of you don't share strong common interests. Enjoying some of the same ideals and activities makes life together easier.

However, you and your fiancé do need to work on communication skills. She will be hitting perimenopause in the next few years and her hormones will get a bit skippy. It's no joke. Many women can sail right through without much trouble, but most women need to see a doctor regularly to manage their symptoms and keep their sex drive intact. You're a younger man and your urges will remain steady for a long time.

Be supportive and encouraging. She's likely to remain hot to trot as long as you're a good lover to her.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:11 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
30 and 42 is likely to work better than it will when it's 40 and 52. Just sayin'. If she stays in shape aggressively, it could still be working 10 to 15 years down the road.

But when you are 50, she will be 62.

These May-September relationships in general work worse as time goes on. Like I said, "Just sayin'".
You say that like him being 50 means he's super young and not 50.

Would this magically be okay if he was going to be 62 when she's 50? Because that's a really crappy double standard.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:19 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,152,762 times
Quote:
She has said it's "gross" and said I am being selfish and just taking advantage of an older woman.
I find that last bit pretty ridiculous. No man would have been able to take advantage of me at age 42. When I was younger, maybe, but by the time women hit 40, we're pretty damn savvy.

The co-worker sounds pretty gross, herself. Single and bitter, is she?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships