Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 02:13 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,445,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Friends are interactive, and friends know you're being friends with them.

A friend isn't something you keep in a drawer, pull out and stroke lovingly once in a while, then shove back in the drawer.

No, one doesn't "throw away" a friend but then again, a friend is allowed to decide to stay a friend, a friend is conscious, a friend is part of a whole, not some "thing" that represents a piece of a living person that is no longer there because s/he no longer WANTS to be there, and made that choice not to be there.

These are just not the same thing, no matter which tack you take (yes, keep the mementos or no, don't keep the mementos). To intimate that one requires that an SO "throw away" friends simply because that SO isn't comfortable with you pulling out your ex's underpants or a lock of her hair and gazing lovingly at it periodically before shoving it back in underneath a bunch of stuff like a dirty secret just doesn't match up or produce an adequate analogy, IMO.
I would argue that some "friends" are indeed what you claim they are not meant to be.
Your personal definition is nice and focuses on the good, but that is not the reality for everyone we keep close to us.

Sometimes is good to listen to others we care for because it's hard for ourselves to understand and see why we ourselves keep the company we do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 07:36 AM

19,695 posts, read 20,218,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
I've not been talking about "dirty little secrets" at all.

It was mentioned that getting rid of certain things once one is in a new relationship is "common courtesy", and I was wondering where that line would be drawn.
That line is certainly different for everyone..

It's a beautiful thing when two people are eachother's 'greatest love' - and are actually together.

Not everyone is so fortunate...

Old 12-08-2016, 08:15 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,030,584 times
Don't judge me. I have stocked my tool box by keeping my past exes tools. I have hoarded hammers, sockets, power tools, meters, air compressors, etc. I even have hvac gauges. I want to invest in new garage cabinets so I can organize and store the stuff.

Old 12-08-2016, 10:29 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,008,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
That line is certainly different for everyone..

It's a beautiful thing when two people are eachother's 'greatest love' - and are actually together.

Not everyone is so fortunate...
"Together" meaning?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships