Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2011, 12:50 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,591,323 times

Advertisements

I do remember reading an article that talked about crime statistics involving men who caught their wives cheating and what they did about it. I wish I still had the link but what it said was that Southern men were significantly more likely to engage in some sort of violent activity against the man who was sleeping with their wife. That would presumably mean either assault or murder. I do think there are some cultural differences between both women and men from the South as compared to the north now that I've lived in both parts of the country. However I think that most of those differences are not negative and I've met some very nice people now that I live in the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 01:51 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,733,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
See, it really depends on how you behave. I mean, just because there's a Gap and a Target and an Olive Garden in your neighborhood, doesn't mean that it's a carbon copy of whatever burg you came from up North. I think the biggest problem people have adjusting here is understanding that there are indeed nuances to how you deal with others.

Mind you, these nuances aren't terribly hard to figure out. You just have to be aware of them in the first place. Look at it this way. You wouldn't move to Tokyo and behave towards others just the way you did back in Cleveland, would you? Then why would you do the same in Mississippi or South Carolina?
Why not, people are basically the same wherever you go, at least from my own experience. Granted there are cultural differences to take into account, but good manners are fairly universal. I behave the same way in Korea, Japan, South America, and the Middle East as I do in NYC, California or Alabama, it's never been an issue, I'm polite and civil to everyone. Most times that courtesy is reciprocated.

There are rivalries among regions and some states, but overall I think people are similar wherever you go, and I've never been treated any better down south than I have in any other region of the country. That's why Southern Hospitality just seems more like a rhetorical moniker that's been applied by folks who are proud of where they're from and really doesn't carry all that much substance. People are alike wherever you go for the most part.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:58 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,432,997 times
I suppose there is no real difference between Southern men in general and others.

I know I like the 'modified Redneck'--alpha male and I have lived in the South for many decades and am biased. The good ones are great. They enjoy being men and enjoy women. Moody and stubborn, sensitive but charming.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:57 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,206,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
I lived in the deep south for 3 years. Without a doubt, those men are different from any other men that I've met. The women too. It tripped me out the first time (as a 26 or so year old), I was called "ma'am".

Is it a "better" thing? Obviously, since I'm now in the PNW and thoroughly enjoying myself, I don't think so.
You've never met a man of law, military or formal education?

Old 06-08-2011, 08:59 AM

5 posts, read 8,358 times
i don't think there's a difference...:-??

Old 07-25-2011, 10:02 AM

2 posts, read 6,016 times
i am from the south (way, way down south). i have met several YANKEES that are overbearing,loud mouths,know it alls,they think we are slow minded,stupid,lazy rednecks. BUT i know lots of men from the south that are just the same ..southern men are not all wonderful gentalmen that open car doors and say yes mam,most of the younger ones today have no respect for anyone not even for themselves....o wait thats just COONASSES ....REAL southern men come from small towns across the south and are raised with so much respect for a woman that yankees and coonasses think its fake(coonasses might live in the south but they are a world apart from southern) i for one know it is not sugar coated or fake i have raised 2 southern "boys" and their respect for women started at home with their "momma" its not fake: it is raised with respect and manners that most parents of coonasses and yankees should instill in their children. i love being from the south and i love my boyfriend who is a big ol yankee,but even he thinks he knows everything and he is always right and us southerners are slow minded and stupid....in the years i have known him he has done a complete turnaround,because he let that simple minded northern way of thinking stop clouding his judgment and just looked,listened and watched all our southern ways and realized that no matter what he thought he knew about us southerners he was wrong...we are actually pretty damn smart we just do not boast about it,we have all our teeth,you just never looked,we do hunt and contrary to what people think most of it is not for sport,its for food,we do speak our minds and if you yankees werent so uptight you would realize its not being a smartass or trying to hurt feelings we are just getting to the matter at hand:how we feel ,and then we will offer you a glass of sweet iced tea and be a loyal friend....because its all out in the open now and we forgive and forget.... AND PLEASE REMEMBER MOST COONASSES FROM LOUISIANA ARE NOT REALLY SOUTHERN...THEY ARE PRETTY MUCH A YANKEE IN THE SOUTH

Old 07-25-2011, 10:15 AM

2,501 posts, read 3,641,278 times
What about Eastern and Western men? Men from the east coast in contrast to the west coast?

Old 07-25-2011, 10:27 AM

138 posts, read 218,992 times
A Yankee man will threaten to shoot you. A Southern man will just shoot you and get it over with.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:28 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,360,415 times
There is a big difference besides the economic differences and because of in the two. For the most part southern men are nice, when you hit on a common interest during a conversation they will go on in lengthy detail but without them sounding like they wrote the book. As a northern born guy its more than humbling to have a story told out of genuine enthusiasm than to have it told to you including all the chips on their shoulder.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:38 AM

133 posts, read 330,234 times
I'm from the north, and I think it's really the way you were brought up, although obviously you will find the stereotypes. I myself was brought up to open the door for a woman, hold out her chair, etc.

Just to throw in a slight curveball, in my experience, I found Southern women more friendly, approachable, and easier to talk to than Northern women. I don't know why that is, but it's just something I found when I've been traveling for work over the course of the last 10-15 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships