U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-06-2008, 09:17 AM

57 posts, read 153,628 times
I think there are alot of differences. I've dated quite a bit from Montana to Arizona, NH to Louisiana and a few places in between.
Northern men in my opinion are much more direct. Southern men sugar coat things a bit more to spare your feelings. Southern men call you ma'am, Northern men don't.
When I say Northern I'm talking Northeast and that general area.
Western men( Wyoming,Montana,etc etc) are a whole other category of Northern men who I think have alot more in common with southern men in their treatment and expectations than Northern men.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 12:32 AM

564 posts, read 1,506,089 times
Well, if we're talking about how we deal with relationships, I can only speak for myself and for the Southern side. I fall really hard, really quickly. I tend to sweet-talk a little too much. I try to tell a woman everything she wants to hear a little too often. I still open doors for every woman within about 20 feet when I can. I enjoy a slower pace, quiet life. I'm not a redneck stereotype whatsoever, in fact I'm more the opposite, but I am proud of my accent and my home state (Mississippi.) If I found someone I was completely in love with, I would take a smaller home and lower pay just to be able to be with her, whereever she was.

I remember being in Nebraska and women loving my accent. Lots of girlfriends. Lots of guys that hated my guts too, haha. Ahhh, the wonder of high school.

Are all these things in contrast to Northern guys? Not sure. Hopefully not. Just going by what I know.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:57 PM

3 posts, read 15,050 times
Default i know there is a difference

i know that there is a difference i have dated a few men in my time and now i am married to a gentlemen and i am greatful .. so is there a difference between MEN< GUYS and Gentlemen ? u all tell me

Old 06-11-2008, 11:17 PM

2,588 posts, read 3,487,429 times
Just like with the women, those northern men seem to be further away from the equator than the southern men.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:31 AM

21,241 posts, read 15,037,369 times
Northern men get cold at night during the winter

Old 06-12-2008, 07:17 AM

5,079 posts, read 8,224,581 times
I was just having this conversation with my co-worker yesterday! I (being from the south myself) and now living in the north find a big difference between southern men and northern men.
Granted, I still feel that if a woman raises her son with good boy manners then maybe they are close.
Here are the differences I've personally noted;
Men from the South...
they are "yes maam, no maam" (and I'm incuding Texans in this)
they open doors
let you sit before they do
are more polite in general
are the kind of men who do the right thing
are respectful of women
might constantly be on the make for a$$ but always accept it if a woman isn't interested.

Men from the north....
are not typically polite
don't hold doors
walk 10 steps ahead of you
have poor manners
are rude, brash and inconsiderate
constantly on the make for a piece of a$$ and get offended if you say no - oh well!

Now, I'm NOT talking about every man from the south and every man from the north. I have met nice guys up here who fit the bill for me and what I look for in a man. However, for the most part and in MY own opion from what I'VE experienced. I do not feel this way about every single man so please don't get offended men LOL

Additionally, when I met my fiance here in PA, he is a southerner, he's from South Carolina and before moving there, he went to school through high school in VA - so he's a true southern gentleman.

I think women from the south are generally nicer, more polite, have better manners, are more charming, etc... So, I feel the same about both sexes.

For me, there is something very charming, sexy, appetizing about the good ol' boys. I did grow up watching the Dukes of Hazzard though, maybe that had something to do with it! LOL
What can I say? I am a southerner so I'm partial.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:19 AM

5,079 posts, read 8,224,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by undertheironsea View Post
Well, if we're talking about how we deal with relationships, I can only speak for myself and for the Southern side. I fall really hard, really quickly. I tend to sweet-talk a little too much. I try to tell a woman everything she wants to hear a little too often. I still open doors for every woman within about 20 feet when I can. I enjoy a slower pace, quiet life. I'm not a redneck stereotype whatsoever, in fact I'm more the opposite, but I am proud of my accent and my home state (Mississippi.) If I found someone I was completely in love with, I would take a smaller home and lower pay just to be able to be with her, whereever she was.

I remember being in Nebraska and women loving my accent. Lots of girlfriends. Lots of guys that hated my guts too, haha. Ahhh, the wonder of high school.

Are all these things in contrast to Northern guys? Not sure. Hopefully not. Just going by what I know.
THIS is what I'm talking about!!! Yay you!

Old 06-13-2008, 12:43 PM

320 posts, read 608,849 times
My fiance' is from the South and wow what a difference! He has charm and is a true gentlemen. I have dated men from the North and they do NOT compare at all...well at least the men i've dated.(IMO)

Old 06-13-2008, 09:49 PM

13,779 posts, read 16,055,913 times
My husband and I are both from the south and we have ALL of our teeth, our children have ALL of their teeth, we do not watch NASCAR, drive pick up trucks, fly a Confedarate flag, sing Dixie on special occasions or sign our names with an 'X'.

With that said, my children have all attended etiquette class and cotillion. My boys open doors and car doors for women and wait to sit and eat until the women are seated. What is wrong with that?

I love the manners my husband and children have. Hopefully the boys will marry women who appreciate the southern gentlemen I am raising.

Southern men seem to have more respect for women and this is instilled at early ages by the women in their lives.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:56 PM

3,887 posts, read 7,986,703 times
The differences in men depend more on their social class, education, and upbringing rather than their geographical origin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships