Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 01:29 AM

52,226 posts, read 52,648,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
My husband and I are both from the south and we have ALL of our teeth, our children have ALL of their teeth, we do not watch NASCAR, drive pick up trucks, fly a Confedarate flag, sing Dixie on special occasions or sign our names with an 'X'.

With that said, my children have all attended etiquette class and cotillion. My boys open doors and car doors for women and wait to sit and eat until the women are seated. What is wrong with that?

I love the manners my husband and children have. Hopefully the boys will marry women who appreciate the southern gentlemen I am raising.

Southern men seem to have more respect for women and this is instilled at early ages by the women in their lives.
It's all good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 07:20 PM

564 posts, read 2,341,323 times
By the way, to add to this--while the certain Northern guys are walking ten steps ahead and letting women "get their own door"..you know, because you don't want to treat them like children, or whatever crappy excuse they have...we're ten steps behind, opening the door for your girlfriend.

Just saying.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:40 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,530,712 times
My experience is southern men are more laid back, kinder, more polite and gentler. They're also proud (in a positive way)

I used to work with a man who was raised in the south. I was whining about a new diet I was on and he said "Ya know. Some men like their women built for comfort not for speed.". I thought that was nice way of saying you have some meat on your bones.

I like going south. The people seem nicer.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:45 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,482,031 times
1- a Southern male friend usually has no problem coming to pull your drunk a** out of a ditch at 3 am.
2- a Southern man and his 12 gauge actually MEAN IT when they post a "no trespassing" sign.
3- a true Southern mans family will never go hungry. He can fish,farm,hunt and scrounge.
4-a true Southern man has absolutely no problem admitting that our women run our homes. Southern families are quite matriarchal.
5-And a true Southern woman is smart enough to let us true Southern men THINK we are the boss!

Old 06-17-2008, 09:47 AM

4,189 posts, read 3,481,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
1- a Southern male friend usually has no problem coming to pull your drunk a** out of a ditch at 3 am.
2- a Southern man and his 12 gauge actually MEAN IT when they post a "no trespassing" sign.
3- a true Southern mans family will never go hungry. He can fish,farm,hunt and scrounge.
4-a true Southern man has absolutely no problem admitting that our women run our homes. Southern families are quite matriarchal.
5-And a true Southern woman is smart enough to let us true Southern men THINK we are the boss!

Its ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-17-2008, 10:28 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,147,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pushkinswife View Post
Its ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This was the most weird and inconceivable crap I've ever seen...

Old 06-17-2008, 02:31 PM

2 posts, read 30,244 times
The Southern men that I've met in my life all fall into one of the following descriptions with many exceptions since you know, there are always exceptions and I'm just grouping off the top of my head here.

-- You have the guy who comes from upper middle class to plain wealthy. Think a southern version of "preppy" (and I'm not talking about the ridiculous Abercrombie version of preppy). He has manners, loads of charm, and maybe just a little too much ego. He's good looking in your slightly generic All-American way complete with a tan and an athletic body. He likes to think he's a badass because he drives fast and has smoked a few blunts in his life. There's nothing particularly bad or wrong about this guy but in my experiences I've found out that unless he has a great personality (And I did use to know one who was an amazing guy... **sigh**) he becomes stale quick.

-- There's the redneck. I don't mean country or southern, I mean redneck and trust me, it's different from the other two. I just have one word to say: Dip. I don't really need to elaborate here. You get my point. Expect lots and lots cussing to the point where you want to buy the guy a Webster and then run to a city.

-- Regular guys. They don't have extreme accents. They don't do anything that screams Southern. They're your average guy that you could find anywhere in the USA and to be honest, these guys were always my favorite. I could see them being somewhere besides the South and not suffering from withdrawals.

A few things I have noticed about people in general from the South is that

- Yeah, there is this sort of "fake" vibe. People like to ignore anything bad or different and pretend like it never happened or existed. It just seems like there's a stress for everything to appear "perfect and pretty" if that makes any sense. And this affects the way people act. Being flat out rude or straight forward isn't seen much.

- Sometimes it seems to me like people in the South are more resistant to change then people from the North. Maybe it's because things are slower down here or it could be because some people technically live in a "bubble". I've also met people with closed minds down here but then again there's many of those up North as well.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:05 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,481,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
This was the most weird and inconceivable crap I've ever seen...

My take on guys: I have interacted with both Southern and Northern men, more so with Southern since I live in the South. Chivalry is dead, at least in my city. My bf opens my doors to the car and places we go, but before him it was nonexistant. Northern guys I have encountered are not as "forward" as Southern guys. Southern guys tend to come up to you and try to talk with you and are rather blunt. I did not notice this with Northern guys. Also the guys in the South tend to like thick girls-although a few including my bf don't mind petite women. Not sure about northern men though

Old 06-17-2008, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC2300 View Post
The Southern men that I've met in my life all fall into one of the following descriptions with many exceptions since you know, there are always exceptions and I'm just grouping off the top of my head here.

-- You have the guy who comes from upper middle class to plain wealthy. Think a southern version of "preppy" (and I'm not talking about the ridiculous Abercrombie version of preppy). He has manners, loads of charm, and maybe just a little too much ego. He's good looking in your slightly generic All-American way complete with a tan and an athletic body. He likes to think he's a badass because he drives fast and has smoked a few blunts in his life. There's nothing particularly bad or wrong about this guy but in my experiences I've found out that unless he has a great personality (And I did use to know one who was an amazing guy... **sigh**) he becomes stale quick.

-- There's the redneck. I don't mean country or southern, I mean redneck and trust me, it's different from the other two. I just have one word to say: Dip. I don't really need to elaborate here. You get my point. Expect lots and lots cussing to the point where you want to buy the guy a Webster and then run to a city.

-- Regular guys. They don't have extreme accents. They don't do anything that screams Southern. They're your average guy that you could find anywhere in the USA and to be honest, these guys were always my favorite. I could see them being somewhere besides the South and not suffering from withdrawals.

A few things I have noticed about people in general from the South is that

- Yeah, there is this sort of "fake" vibe. People like to ignore anything bad or different and pretend like it never happened or existed. It just seems like there's a stress for everything to appear "perfect and pretty" if that makes any sense. And this affects the way people act. Being flat out rude or straight forward isn't seen much.

- Sometimes it seems to me like people in the South are more resistant to change then people from the North. Maybe it's because things are slower down here or it could be because some people technically live in a "bubble". I've also met people with closed minds down here but then again there's many of those up North as well.
I guess I'm a mix of 1 and 3. My family is upper middle class but we started out on the bottom. I'm fairly fashion aware. I think I have charm and my looks aren't too shabby, but my ego isn't out of control. I've never smoked a blunt (or drank for that matter) and I only drive about 5 mph over the limit, haha. I have an accent but not to the point I sound like Larry the Cable Guy.

And no, not all of us try to make things "perfect and pretty." Catch me on the wrong day and I could tell someone to eat **** just as quick as tell them hello. I am Irish, afterall. I'm not resistant to change. I'd just rather do my own thing and have people leave me the hell alone.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
I could actually say no to all of those things.

1. You get in a ditch, your ass is staying in that ditch unless you were sober and it was no fault of your own.

2. Eh, it's an apartment or hopefully a subdivision. The no trespassing is pretty much implied.

3. I can spot the best deal at Kroger like a madman. I've fished once and hunting is just inhumane.

4. This is true for a lot of guys, although it kinda pisses on the whole 50/50 marriage thing. I'm not very keen on being bossed around and just sitting around like a rock. That's just not healthy. I want a partner, not a manager.

5. Meh.

Holy crap.....I'm actually a Yankee......I need a shower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships