Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2008, 12:48 AM

468 posts, read 1,637,284 times

Advertisements

I've never met a southern woman in my life, but I can honestly say, I have a thing for the accent...

Old 04-23-2008, 11:51 AM

35 posts, read 166,130 times
This is something that might blow your mind...

There are pretty, ugly, smart, stupid, friendly, rude, educated, and ignorant people everywhere, from the south to the north to the midwest to the west. All women everywhere are the same and all women everywhere are different. That's all there is to it. I would especially think all of the northerners who are so far more educated, worldly, and cultured would know this. It's not rocket science, you know.

You absolutely cannot say one region, one population of individuals is more this or less that than another. Sure, when you base your knowledge of the south on films like 'Deliverance,' you're going to come to the conclusion that all southerners are inbred rednecks just as when you base your knowledge of the north on 'Sex and the City,' you are going to come to the conclusion that all big city northerners are botox-injected, fashion obsessed, and bitter.

There are many colleges and universities in the south that do allow southern women to attend. You may have heard of a few of them...perhaps Vanderbilt in Tennessee and Duke in North Carolina?
There are women in the north who choose to get married and have children as opposed to perservering in their education and are as happy as those who end up with masters degrees.

Not everyone in the south considers a cook out in their backyard with all of their family to be the happening event of the century just like not all northerners are wealthy jet setters or educated political activists.

I hope, hope, hope, hope, hope that we don't live in a world where people base their opinions on an ENTIRE region of a country soley on their experience and perception of the place or through what little number of people they know from such place. That is a biased and inaccurate conclusion as the result of faulty research methods. Didn't you learn anything in statistics?

Old 04-23-2008, 12:01 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,489,531 times
i didnt read the whole thread but noticed that in the first pages people saying southern women take more pride in their appearence...
really? have any of you been to ny/nj? that is all the women think about!
i am from nj, and now live in nc--and the women down here dont spend nearly as much time or money on their hair and nails as they do back home...not to mention clothing
although i think women everywhere are concerned with their appearence, to say it is more so in the south than in the north i think is completely wrong

Old 04-24-2008, 09:09 AM

1,348 posts, read 3,586,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
From what I've gathered on this post (NOT what I personally think):

Northern women are b*tchy, aggressive, overly-independent minded, and are more attracted to the prep and Broski-Guido types who are loud-mouth and chauvinistic

Actually, "northern" women tend to be attracted only to those guys that match their intellectual/education level (I'm talking about the professional, college-educated single young women in DC, NY, Boston, etc), or choose amongst their inner circle of friends or co-workers for partners. The only women I've seen who really go for the frat/prep types are in the south, like NC, SC, and Florida. Women in NY and DC don't like those types at all, and its hilarious watching them get rejected in bars and clubs over the weekends, with their stupid popped collars.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:48 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
i didnt read the whole thread but noticed that in the first pages people saying southern women take more pride in their appearence...
really? have any of you been to ny/nj? that is all the women think about!
i am from nj, and now live in nc--and the women down here dont spend nearly as much time or money on their hair and nails as they do back home...not to mention clothing
although i think women everywhere are concerned with their appearence, to say it is more so in the south than in the north i think is completely wrong
That's kind of what I was thinking. Having moved down south, I've gotten used to it. I have to admit that, when I traveled up to Philadelphia and Delaware on a biz trip recently, I found myself thinking, "Man, why are so many women up here dressed like slobs?"

As far as New York goes, I would agree that Manhattan is that way. But get into the other boroughs, and you wonder if these women look at themselves in the mirror before they go out.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:13 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
Actually, "northern" women tend to be attracted only to those guys that match their intellectual/education level (I'm talking about the professional, college-educated single young women in DC, NY, Boston, etc), or choose amongst their inner circle of friends or co-workers for partners. The only women I've seen who really go for the frat/prep types are in the south, like NC, SC, and Florida. Women in NY and DC don't like those types at all, and its hilarious watching them get rejected in bars and clubs over the weekends, with their stupid popped collars.
Well tell that to the kids at the university that I attend, which isn't that far from DC. Here, the preps, jocks, fratboys and guidos are the ones who are usually dragging the girls out of the bars while the more intellectual and professions guys are seen as lame and not do-able.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:23 AM

8,002 posts, read 18,604,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molliejohns View Post
[b]This is something that might blow your mind...

There are pretty, ugly, smart, stupid, friendly, rude, educated, and ignorant people everywhere, from the south to the north to the midwest to the west. All women everywhere are the same and all women everywhere are different. That's all there is to it.

That about sums up my thoughts too! Imagine that, people are different and the same all over the country!

I haven't read all the posts and probably won't because I'm sure it's gotten real ugly.

I'm from the North and live in the South. I've traveled around most of this country except for the West. I have to say I've seen what is described above everywhere around the country.

Now I've actually had to tone down my wardrobe dramatically moving from metro Detroit to my small town down South. I've traded my heels and skirts and fashion jeans and fashion tops for sweatpants (well not all the time). I don't see a lot of people getting their hair done fancy or dressing up at all around here. But the same cannot be said for a few towns over or the town right next door. Same goes for all over the country - some people like to dress up, some don't.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:13 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Don't flatter yourself.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:06 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,829,848 times
Quote:

and its hilarious watching them get rejected in bars and clubs over the weekends, with their stupid popped collars.
I might go to a bar in Seattle this weekend.

Seattle is pretty far north.

I guess I had better not wear any popped collars.

What is a popped collar anyway?

Do I have them on my flannel shirts?

Should I cut them off?

Old 04-24-2008, 01:16 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,586,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I might go to a bar in Seattle this weekend.

Seattle is pretty far north.

I guess I had better not wear any popped collars.

What is a popped collar anyway?

Do I have them on my flannel shirts?

Should I cut them off?

You seriously don't know what a "popped collar" is? How old are you?

If you live in an area with no popped-collar guidos, consider yourself lucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships