Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 09:18 AM

1,080 posts, read 836,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Opps, again, I should have said "sites or apps". I said "sites" as an umbrella term, referring to all online dating platforms. (That's the word I should have used: "platforms".) It seems like they're becoming oversaturated, as far as their membership is concerned. Just as they're becoming filled with unreplied messages (for men) and d*ck pics (for women).
You're really splitting hairs here. Online dating has moved from sites to apps, and will eventually move to the next technology, and the one after that, along with everything else.

Does that answer suffice, or do you have further stipulations you'd like to make in an attempt to get the response you are seeking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Meh. Again, it's a "some person" thing. Some people have this sense that if they send out an unsolicited message, they are entitled to at least a conversation. Again, not the fault of the platform- just an "entitled human being" thing.
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to mishigas73 again."

Yep. Well said.

Old 12-05-2016, 09:34 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,872,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarkPhotoBooth View Post
Online dating has moved from sites to apps, and will eventually move to the next technology, and the one after that, along with everything else.

Does that answer suffice, or do you have further stipulations you'd like to make in an attempt to get the response you are seeking?
I was looking for more of a yes/no answer to the thread title, along with elaborations. But this answer is good enough. (Sounds like a "no".) Thanks for taking time to write it.

I suppose the popularity of technologies has a life cycle---unless it gets embraced by the corporate world, like e-mail has. The life cycle can be long or short, but it's there.

Old 12-06-2016, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I was looking for more of a yes/no answer to the thread title, along with elaborations. But this answer is good enough. (Sounds like a "no".)
If you're asking whether the concept of people using the latest technology to find sex and/or romance will collapse, then the answer is a big no. This has always existed and always will. Before the internet there were phone dating services. Before that there were mail services. I have to assume when fire was discovered, it wasn't long before people used fires to meet and hook up.

If you're limiting it to "sites and apps" as you stated most recently, then yes, those technologies as we know them will "collapse" as they are replaced with newer ones.

Old 12-07-2016, 07:31 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
The more I use OLD services, the more impractical they seem to be.

I'm 30 - have a good job making twice the median HHI in town, no kids, no drama, well-dressed in all my pics, a little chubby but very clean cut, and I can barely even get a passing sniff from women around my age "lower on the ten scale" than me who have kids/baggage, heavier than me, aren't as articulate, etc.

About the only women I get responses from online are 18-20 year olds (fine but probably wouldn't work long term) or women 35+ whose kids are mostly grown.

I'm no Sean Connery but I get a lot more at least passing interest in real life than I do online. I don't think I've had one female Tinder match since moving back three months ago lol.

I think the expectations of women are so far and away ridiculous that many men are just going to end up opting out of OLD.

Old 12-07-2016, 07:44 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,448,254 times
The new concept will come from....
Volunteering in your community. Actually meeting them thru similar causes of interest. I think happenstance will make a more realistic way to get to vet a date.

No app is able to create the chemistry of attraction. Nature has its own method.

Old 12-07-2016, 07:48 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,922,180 times
The men I know who are successful in dating don't bother with those apps. They have good social skills, they go out and do things to meet people. If you're "so busy" that you can't meet people without using an app then you're not too serious about dating.

It seems many of the people here (and on forums on general) tend to be more of the nerdy variety. I think that subculture is more likely to use electronic applications than an average man or woman.

Old 12-07-2016, 07:49 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,887,329 times
I don't think that the reason for the collapse of those mediums for meeting others had anything to do with romance/relationships and everything to do with technology.

People prefer forums to chat rooms because they are moderated.

Really successful online dating could be moderated also. A real life moderator could weed out the nut cases, make introductions based on certain criteria, help those lacking social skills learn new ways of communicating, etc.

Will we somehow stop meeting people using the internet? nope.

Old 12-07-2016, 07:53 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,986,961 times
Well, I certainly hope it doesn't. It's been fun.

The convenience is appealing, but sure, there are cons as well, like suitors being easily disposable due to the myriad of options.

Old 12-07-2016, 07:56 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,922,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The more I use OLD services, the more impractical they seem to be.

I'm 30 - have a good job making twice the median HHI in town, no kids, no drama, well-dressed in all my pics, a little chubby but very clean cut, and I can barely even get a passing sniff from women around my age "lower on the ten scale" than me who have kids/baggage, heavier than me, aren't as articulate, etc.

About the only women I get responses from online are 18-20 year olds (fine but probably wouldn't work long term) or women 35+ whose kids are mostly grown.

I'm no Sean Connery but I get a lot more at least passing interest in real life than I do online. I don't think I've had one female Tinder match since moving back three months ago lol.

I think the expectations of women are so far and away ridiculous that many men are just going to end up opting out of OLD.
I think you would have better luck if you lived in a major metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships