Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 10:53 AM

1,261 posts, read 971,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Wait. Didn't your just break off an engagement with someone a couple months ago because she wanted kids and you didn't?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
That was the same woman.
This confuses me. You've know her since 2nd grade and shes the love of your life, but you broke it off because you didn't want kids and now shes gone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 10:53 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
I don't know. A best friend, to me, is someone you trust enough to talk about problems you are having with your SO in confidence. On that alone, my best friend and my SO would be different people.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:05 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I don't know. A best friend, to me, is someone you trust enough to talk about problems you are having with your SO in confidence. On that alone, my best friend and my SO would be different people.
Well, if those problems arise in a trusting relationship with a maturing partner (And, yes, they do. It's not always a fairy tale), then you can have a respectful discussion of those issues with her and achieve some kind of resolution.

Mind you, that is not to say that you can't have similar discussions with someone else. After all, your SO should be your best friend, not your only friend. But if you have a relationship built on mutual trust and respect, and you have gained the ability and maturity to bring up problems and hash them out, then the need to confide in someone else about your marriage becomes a remote possibility.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:30 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,875,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, if those problems arise in a trusting relationship with a maturing partner (And, yes, they do. It's not always a fairy tale), then you can have a respectful discussion of those issues with her.
If what you're saying is true, then why does the phrase "honey, we need to talk" destroy so many relationships? And why do people keep saying it, knowing how damaging it is?

Old 12-09-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
If what you're saying is true, then why does the phrase "honey, we need to talk" destroy so many relationships? And why do people keep saying it, knowing how damaging it is?
What? Everybody has those kinds of moments in a relationship. Communication isn't always about cooing at each other at the breakfast table. Sometimes it's about couching things that are bugging you and working through it.

So it's not the phrase, "Honey we need to talk" that's of concern here. It's what happens after that that counts. Just as importantly, if your SO is coming to you and saying, "Honey, we need to talk," that's a surefire sign that you've ignored the umpteen different clues that other person has given you up to that point that something's not right. So if "Honey, we need to talk" comes up, it's more a sign of cluelessness on your part.

I had one of those HWNTT moments about three years ago. Chiefly because I felt as if MrsCPG was trying to ram a major renovation project down my throat. Every time she mentioned it, I was noncommittal to it, voicing concerns about whether or not it was time. And she'd bring it up again. And again.

So finally, I had the HWNTT moment. I simply stated that it was not the right time. I had a major account going wobbly, we had some other spending needs, and I couldn't in good conscience agree to spending the money. We batted it back and forth for a few minutes. She and I agreed to revisit the matter in another year. We did and we finally bought the bullet. So basically two things were in play there. One, I communicated with her about something that was bothering me and, Two, she paid attention to my feelings on the subject.

Here's the thing. Mature people know how to disagree. Mature people know how to deliver constructive criticism and take it. And even the best of relationships require a course correction from time to time. And those HWNTT moments are the way it happens.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:48 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Because many people react defensively to such conversations, versus approach them willing to work toward resolutions and actively improve interactions.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Because many people react defensively to such conversations, versus approach them willing to work toward resolutions and actively improve interactions.
There's a whole universe of ways to have a constructive disagreement.

For example, saying, "You always do this to me...." is a guaranteed way to push someone into a corner and start an argument. On the other hand, saying, "I know you don't mean to do this, but when you do it makes me feel this way..." is a more productive route.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:53 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,150,795 times
My wife is my best friend. I refer to my best male friend from HS as my oldest and dearest friend.

Not much of a distinction, but a distinction nonetheless.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:59 AM

888 posts, read 555,517 times
Nope. I have a few close girlfriends that are my best friends. It's a different relationship. Doesn't mean my husband isn't important to me.

Old 12-09-2016, 12:19 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,305,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hand McLovin View Post
This confuses me. You've know her since 2nd grade and shes the love of your life, but you broke it off because you didn't want kids and now shes gone?
She died!!!! We were friends before we started dating and fell in love but we broke up a few times before finally getting back together and almost marrying. How many times do I need to bring this painful memory up? I want to move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships