Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 10:45 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times

Advertisements

Lol

My husband doesn't have a "man cave," and likely wouldn't even if we had a den/basement or whatever. I'm not even sure what that would be. We'd have an entertainment room with a projector, theater seats, love sacs, steam machine, movie/TV show posters, mounted lightsabers, and our other cool stuff if we had the extra space.

They're not his electronics. We're both into electronics and gadgets. I'm the one that suggested getting a curved 4K TV and blu ray player and sound system. And I convinced him to get a steam machine despite having three other gaming consoles and a gaming PC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 10:45 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Steam machine??!?!?!

Old 12-13-2016, 10:50 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Lol

My husband doesn't have a "man cave," and likely wouldn't even if we had a den/basement or whatever. I'm not even sure what that would be. We'd have an entertainment room with a projector, theater seats, love sacs, steam machine, movie/TV show posters, mounted lightsabers, and our other cool stuff if we had the extra space.

They're not his electronics. We're both into electronics and gadgets. I'm the one that suggested getting a curved 4K TV and blu ray player and sound system. And I convinced him to get a steam machine despite having three other gaming consoles and a gaming PC.
We have a goal of updating the electronics in our living room. A nice big TV is first on the list. We want a better entertainment center, too. The video game stuff (my husband plays once in a while; otherwise, it's the kids) is already in the living room. I can't imagine wanting to stuff it somewhere else. It's entertainment so here it is, out in the open where it can be played with. So we would like to be able to organize that all right here in the living room a bit better and keep everything easy-access.

There's no reason to shove all that stuff into some room somewhere, although if my husband wanted a room for his own special stuff (so the kids couldn't get their hands on it and work it over, LOL) and we did have an extra room, I'd be totally fine with him doing that. For now, though, everything's "right here" and I can't see why it shouldn't be. It's not a dirty secret or a pain, it's entertainment.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:54 AM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
The only time I've seen a woman object to a man cave is when there wasn't enough space in the house to begin with.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:57 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,932,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Steam machine??!?!?!
Had to look it up too, some kind of gaming system, I would get more use out of a steam machine to iron clothing. It wouldn't really fit the decor in my man cave.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:01 AM

195 posts, read 161,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Lol

Can I take some of your DNA to clone you???

Old 12-13-2016, 11:05 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I think it's just an area that a man can have that is laid out as he likes it. Decorated in a way that is "man-ish" with sports team paraphernalia , stereo system, gaming systems, large screen TV, whatever other stereotypical things that men are into.

I can see this because anecdotally speaking we all know that women tend to be a bit more into house decorating and furniture and all of those types of things. Heck, we watch a lot of HGTV shows such as Fixer Upper and Property Bothers and a good chunk of the time the woman of the husband wife couple is pretty much calling most of the shots, generally speaking. So I think that's where the idea of a "man cave" came from.
A big-screen TV? So, this is assuming the couple has agreed to splurge on two TVs: one for them both to share, and one for him exclusively? Is this a thing? Or does this presume the wife doesn't watch TV, so he keeps it in his cave? Still trying to get my mind around the concept. And does it mean the house has two stereo systems, then? I'm not getting why a stereo system would be a guy thing.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
There are a few examples here:

Creating the Ultimate Basement Man Cave - The Six Key Elements - Unfinished Man

Most women I know have very strong opinions on how and whether electronics like flat screens, musical equipment and video game components "fit" into the decor of a home's common areas.

The man cave gives a guy a place free from female influence. He can set stuff up without worrying if "it goes" or if the wires are showing, etc.

OP, if your woman objects to the concept of a man cave, then it's a problem. However, if you NEED to retreat to a man cave, it could also be a problem.
The second photo represents both our interests: gaming and movies/TV. We're both cinephiles with a huge movie collection that we don't have the space for. Our "cave" would be a mix of gaming/music/movie/TV related things. Currently, our lightsabers are hung in the living room, along with my husband's guitars, and various items we've collected (Star Wars, Marvel, DC, Dr. Who, etc.) We're planning to rearrange a wall in our living room to mount our lightsabers and collect a few hot toys figures I've been eyeing. Our PS4, SNES and steam machine are in the living room. That's where we play. If we had a den or basement it would get turned into a really cool entertainment spot. It's something we talk about and plan in our heads for the future.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:09 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fratrock View Post
Do you have any issue with a man or specifically a man you are in a relationship with having a "man cave". A room/garage where all his electronics and such are and where he goes when he wants some me time?
No. Every mature adult needs some "me" time.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Steam machine??!?!?!
PC console gaming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships