Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 06:33 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times

Advertisements

If I break up w/ someone, it's for a good reason, so we'd be done FOR GOOD. A person doesn't normally change & even if they do, I would have been so moved on & not want to go backwards & relive any of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 10:23 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,415,461 times
I've a few that fall into the "ex" files, most have stayed all the way there. There are some though that, while not reconnecting as a couple, we have reconnected to be social, civil, with each other. In some cases time wipes away the anger and you remember the good times. That doesn't mean any of us are looking to reconnect on a deeper level. There were issues then, why commit to possibly suffering through them again?

Old 12-15-2016, 10:51 PM

1,544 posts, read 924,123 times
Tread with caution.

I'm already in that situation now with an ex. Much as I'm tempted, I'm also leery. If he messes up even once, he can about-face out of my face.

Old 12-16-2016, 02:20 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
Risky business with a huge downside and little upside = Do NOT invest in this.

Old 12-16-2016, 07:00 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfoxGod View Post
If she didn't have go on a banging spree then I would absolutely however I wouldn't easily let my girl go away unless the relationship did not build much. I would work with her so she is able to pursue her dreams and or obligations out there but where we would still be together. Either I would move or visit once a week and talk with her every night. My baby is mine and I wouldn't let her just go like that.... hope that explained your question.
The bolder sentiments might explain why you struggled with past relationships. You seem possessive.

Old 12-16-2016, 07:37 AM

345 posts, read 276,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz Ree View Post
I seem to be in the minority here, but I believe in second chances. Just because you both weren’t on the same page back then doesn’t mean you aren’t now. With time, circumstances change and people change with them. If either or both of you had other relationships in between isn't even relavent.
I agree. It amazes me how black and white people seem to be on here about some things. Relationships don't have to end because of some horrible circumstances. Just because you broke up doesn't make your ex a villain. If the breakup occurred just because you were in different places in life or whatever, there's no reason to discount the person.

Or discount them. Who am I to tell anyone what to do? I just know that I'm not that unyielding. Life is more nuanced than simple yes or no questions and a blanket statement that covers every situation.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:47 AM

2,867 posts, read 1,539,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
The bolder sentiments might explain why you struggled with past relationships. You seem possessive.

I mention this is in other threads by the OP. From all the things he says here I get the impression that he does not have a good sense of boundaries. He has publicly posted private conversations with them with their names and faces on it. He has made assumptions about others (like me) based on his own experiences and feelings. It all points to bad boundaries.

I mean no offense by this. There is really no way to tell if he has poor boundaries that can be helped by counseling, like if he is codependent, or if he is a narcissist and sociopathic with low empathy and can only see the world his way with his needs at the center and the whole world just a tool for getting those needs met, which generally can NOT be fixed by counseling.

Either way as long as he cannot see women as autonomous and not an extension of himself and what he wants and expects them to be, he will continue to have the problems he is having. I see this at work sometimes and it is generally in the partner or spouse's interest to end the relationship. Their needs will never matter unless his meeting those needs is payment or a deposit on something he wants from them.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:51 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,943,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Yeah, I'm not dumpster diving once I throw garbage away. Getting back with ex's is nonnegotiable for me. Friends, however, I will consider.
Right... Like a dog going back to his vomit.

Old 12-16-2016, 02:19 PM

466 posts, read 314,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I am to an extent, I wouldn't deny it because you are not the 1st to tell me this. My relationships are more along the lines of:
stay in communication with me a few times a day
If I call you, pick up your phone unless an emergency or unable to, if you cannot, just get back to me asap.
No traveling to far places without discussing the matter with me such as going out of state, in most cases I will want to be present.
No clubbing or drinking without my presence.
I require sex everyday if possible and if we are living together multiple times(doing it any where).
I require the person being attentive such as wishing me a good morning, good afternoon(see how I'm doing and lmk how your day is going), and a goodnight.
I require seeing the person if we are living together at least 4-5 times a week and if it's not possible due to other important matters then it's ok.
Essentially I will do whatever you need me to and always be there for you and will be at your beckoning call as needed. I am the type of person that will drop anything I am doing for my woman but as you said I am possessive to an extent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seija View Post
I mention this is in other threads by the OP. From all the things he says here I get the impression that he does not have a good sense of boundaries. He has publicly posted private conversations with them with their names and faces on it. He has made assumptions about others (like me) based on his own experiences and feelings. It all points to bad boundaries.

I mean no offense by this. There is really no way to tell if he has poor boundaries that can be helped by counseling, like if he is codependent, or if he is a narcissist and sociopathic with low empathy and can only see the world his way with his needs at the center and the whole world just a tool for getting those needs met, which generally can NOT be fixed by counseling.

Either way as long as he cannot see women as autonomous and not an extension of himself and what he wants and expects them to be, he will continue to have the problems he is having. I see this at work sometimes and it is generally in the partner or spouse's interest to end the relationship. Their needs will never matter unless his meeting those needs is payment or a deposit on something he wants from them.
I don't take any offense, however I will say that once you are in a relationship you cannot act as if you are single. In my eyes if you are together there is a sense of belonging to the other individual. I'm not saying that they own you and that you cannot make choices on your own but now once unified you need to see if your partner is ok with it. If a woman cannot accept this then I will just have fun with her and I wouldn't be in a relationship or committed to her at all. It would just be a sexual relationship and that's about it. I know you will disagree with me totally but I am honest with my feelings.

Old 12-16-2016, 05:39 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Possessive, demanding and controlling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships