Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 10:26 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Partner to me sounds like a gay relationship.
Less so, now, when people can marry and actually use specific spousal titles.

Everyone I personally know who is gay and used to use "partner," now use husband and wife, because they've been able to be legally married.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 10:52 PM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Less so, now, when people can marry and actually use specific spousal titles.

Everyone I personally know who is gay and used to use "partner," now use husband and wife, because they've been able to be legally married.
I was just basically making a generalization........ It always depends on the details. LOL...

Old 12-17-2016, 08:07 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I find it very odd when people say "BOYfriend" or "GIRLfriend" when that person is older than 40.
I agree. It always makes me think of Young Frankenstein when Frau Blucher (Neigh!) says, "He vass my boyfriend!" I prefer "lover" but that may be TMI lol.

Old 12-17-2016, 08:17 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
I think that it's a combo of terminology that same sex couples used to use along with coming from Europe where long term committed but non-marital relationships are even more common than they are here. Esp. in middle and upper middle class couples, I find that in America, many couples live together prior to marriage but the majority do end up getting married whereas in Europe, a larger percentage tends to not take that step even once they buy a home and start having kids together. So partner gives a clearer indication that this is a long term committed relationship, not "just" a boy/girlfriend whose status might be more transitory.

And yes, some people like that it's gender and sexuality neutral, although with same sex marriage becoming legal in more and more places, that seems a little less relevant.

Old 12-17-2016, 08:38 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times
The problem I have with using the word "partner" for a romantic relationship is it is also the historical term for a business relationship. Until very recently, when you were introduced to someone's partner, you knew they were business partners and you could interact accordingly. Now when you hear the term, you have to guess from other cues which type and it can be awkward when you guess wrong.

Old 12-23-2016, 03:48 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,869,118 times
Well, you can always use the U.S Census Bureau's designation: POSSLQ, pronounced posselque (Persons of Opposite Sex Sharing Living Quarters). "Hi! I'd like you to meet George, my POSSLQ!" "Your WHUUUT?"

I prefer SE (Spousal Equivalent).

My 91-year-old-mother and her long-time squeeze always referred to each other as "My Gentleman Friend" and "My Lady Friend".

Old 12-23-2016, 04:26 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,518,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
The only people I've heard use it are those in LTR's who aren't married, or a few older people who think BF/GF is a juvenile term.

Why does it matter?
This exactly

Old 12-23-2016, 05:39 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by applej3 View Post
Boyfriend/girlfriend is for teenagers.....maybe 20s but not beyond that. SO is better.

My man/my lady/my woman often doesn't sit right with some people. Sounds possessive, and people often use those terms to feel they have somebody.

Friend is just that - a platonic friend, nothing more.
(Nobody with any sense/class would say "this is my friend with benefits")

Partner often denotes a business relationship, and it can also mean a person of the same gender.

The term "fiancé" is often misused - women use it to make it sound like there is a commitment when there may not be except in their mind. Fiance is usually the guy they're sleeping/shacking up with and/or the father of their children. A real fiancé = a ring and a date has been set. Men rarely use the term fiancée unless firm marriage plans have been made.
Really? I've never heard ANY woman say they were a fiance or engaged unless they had a ring to show for it...to me and many others, that's synonymous and I'd probably blurt out "where's your ring?" if a woman tried it! A woman likely won't let a woman get by with that so most wouldn't try.

Old 12-23-2016, 05:54 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,008,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Really? I've never heard ANY woman say they were a fiance or engaged unless they had a ring to show for it...to me and many others, that's synonymous and I'd probably blurt out "where's your ring?" if a woman tried it! A woman likely won't let a woman get by with that so most wouldn't try.
Dang those people who have the nerve to consider themselves engaged without a ring.

Old 12-23-2016, 06:41 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,861,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
My 91-year-old-mother and her long-time squeeze always referred to each other as "My Gentleman Friend" and "My Lady Friend".
I like this. I also picture anyone challenging them with: "but this is not your friend! Friend is platonic! Are you sleeping together? Seeing each other naked ever? Any kind of Sex or what could be described as sex? Then you may never call this person your friend." as being rude and petty. It's no one's place to decide what one will refer to someone as.

I'll stick with "Mr. Cuddlecatthumperbunny."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships