Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 06:23 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,385,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by softcrunch View Post
My guess is you're gonna go with the wedding. If I'm right then be glad that you've found a good man and it seems he truly is. Some people say it's better to find someone who loves you more than you love him, might not work for everybody but the advice might give you some insights. Sometimes you don't realise what you wanted has always been there until you lost it.
I have so many mixed emotions about the OP's post.

For me my little dream when I was growing up was to have kids and a family. I was an introvert and a bit of a loner. I had a few friends, dated a few, never really had long term relationships. I did start dating a guy within my culture. Did I see a few red flags? Yes. I remember one night before we were married I thought this was going to be a mistake. In all honesty I did not want to be alone in life. He was good to me. His temper was his major flaw. I certainly was not going to go back to live at home, I wasn't going to have "roommates" my entire life. I didn't want to be alone.

So here I am 35 years later, married to the same guy. We own a home and have raised three kids successfully. The question for the OP--are you happier with or without him? I don't think anyone has the "perfect partner". I will say for me having the same culture, religion, political views is a plus. In the culture I am part of couples rarely get divorced. Couples are dedicated to their families and work things out. Do I think if I would have "held out" I would have found someone better? I don't know. I do have a man who is dedicated to me. Who takes care of me. Who supported me as a stay at home mother for 17 years. Never bugged me about getting a job while I was raising my kids. Never bugs me when I take off extra days at work. Does he still have his flaw of a bad temper? Yes. I have to look at the entire picture. His childhood was pretty nasty, everyone has their baggage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzlea View Post
Part of me is excited about getting married and starting a new stage in my life. I like the idea of a getting married and starting a family. I'm just really unhappy with myself for not knowing what I want and going after it.
I am still wondering that about myself and I turn 60 later this year. Some people in life seem to know what they want. I have kind of made it through life finding things to make me happy along the way.

Good luck OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 08:47 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times
If you have to question if you're doing the right thing by getting married, then it's not the right thing! There should be no question!

Old 03-07-2017, 09:03 AM

134 posts, read 252,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I have so many mixed emotions about the OP's post.

For me my little dream when I was growing up was to have kids and a family. I was an introvert and a bit of a loner. I had a few friends, dated a few, never really had long term relationships. I did start dating a guy within my culture. Did I see a few red flags? Yes. I remember one night before we were married I thought this was going to be a mistake. In all honesty I did not want to be alone in life. He was good to me. His temper was his major flaw. I certainly was not going to go back to live at home, I wasn't going to have "roommates" my entire life. I didn't want to be alone.

So here I am 35 years later, married to the same guy. We own a home and have raised three kids successfully. The question for the OP--are you happier with or without him? I don't think anyone has the "perfect partner". I will say for me having the same culture, religion, political views is a plus. In the culture I am part of couples rarely get divorced. Couples are dedicated to their families and work things out. Do I think if I would have "held out" I would have found someone better? I don't know. I do have a man who is dedicated to me. Who takes care of me. Who supported me as a stay at home mother for 17 years. Never bugged me about getting a job while I was raising my kids. Never bugs me when I take off extra days at work. Does he still have his flaw of a bad temper? Yes. I have to look at the entire picture. His childhood was pretty nasty, everyone has their baggage.

I am still wondering that about myself and I turn 60 later this year. Some people in life seem to know what they want. I have kind of made it through life finding things to make me happy along the way.

Good luck OP.
I really appreciated this response. I really wish I could feel more sure about what I want out of life but I don't know if I'll ever find it. But I do find joy in the little things. If I didn't, I wouldn't still be in a relationship with him. But I still feel like I'm looking for something else to feel fulfilled which is not fair to him. He deserves a wife who wants nothing more than to be with him. But even knowing this about me, he still wants to marry me. Wedding plans are on hold for now. I'm really frustrated with myself and with the situation. I want to move forward but then I start to get panic attacks when things start getting too real.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:12 AM

4,829 posts, read 4,283,297 times
Quote:
I really appreciated this response. I really wish I could feel more sure about what I want out of life but I don't know if I'll ever find it. But I do find joy in the little things. If I didn't, I wouldn't still be in a relationship with him. But I still feel like I'm looking for something else to feel fulfilled which is not fair to him. He deserves a wife who wants nothing more than to be with him. But even knowing this about me, he still wants to marry me. Wedding plans are on hold for now. I'm really frustrated with myself and with the situation. I want to move forward but then I start to get panic attacks when things start getting too real.

This is your mind telling you that something is amiss. Marriage is a huge undertaking and it shouldn't be taken lightly. There's either something missing from your partner, or there's something missing within you. Have you thought of talking to a therapist to have a third party talk out how you feel?

Old 03-07-2017, 09:50 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
I want to move forward but then I start to get panic attacks when things start getting too real.
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
This is your mind telling you that something is amiss.
I agree. That's not even just intuition; that's your body full-on telling you to put on the brakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships