Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 04:33 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,634,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
Would never be able to get over the "ewww" factor.
What's ewwwish about it? Now if they were ugly.. well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 04:37 PM

426 posts, read 351,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
Sorry about that

lol that's ok. He is a ladies man so he is not a bad looking guy but I gotta say that kiss felt weird lmao. His mom almost saw what happened so that would have been even more awkward. Till this day when I see him he will wink at me lol. I don't see him much anyway probably like 3 times a year or less.

Old 12-28-2016, 04:41 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,621,941 times
Many older and lonely people find companions who AREN'T related to them to be with. I suggest you follow their leads.

My biggest issue aside from the inherent squick factor is what has already been pointed out -- if you end the affair then she might never talk to you again. Your thought that you can go back to what you were (just cousins I guess, hah) strikes me as naive. There is little to gain from this liaison and a lot to lose.

Old 12-28-2016, 04:51 PM

19,517 posts, read 9,537,245 times
FIRST cousin? Wrong? Oh, in so many ways

Wait, you're not related to Jerry Lee Lewis, are you? Carry on

Old 12-28-2016, 05:01 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
The OP says they didn't grow up together "as family", hence minimal "ick" factor. They don't intend to necessarily get married and are too old for kids. It is legal in many places anyway...so what is the problem? What two adults do is their business...<shrug>

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-04-2017 at 08:12 AM.. Reason: Off-topic.

Old 12-28-2016, 05:04 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,099,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Time changes a lot of things, maybe this thread belongs in retirement, but the question remains, Should You date your first cousin ? I have that opportunity I am sure, yet still feel a bit like it's wrong, not sure why, considering we are in our senior years and loanly people. I would like to know how others would approach this .
I personally see nothing wrong with it. It was common in the past and the major issues with it were the genetic anomalies that would be introduced into the bloodline. In your case, it is a moot point.

Old 12-28-2016, 05:11 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,621,941 times
Genetic issues truly come into play with many generations of incest, like what happened to the Habsburg royal family over many generations. It's unlikely two first cousins who have no genetic history of incest would have a kid with one eye or something like that.

My primary concern is still that he has a lot to lose from the relationship going south and I do not think he is being realistic as to the potential consequences of the end of the affair. It would stand to hurt him more than if he put in an effort to find someone to be with who is unrelated.

Mod cut: reply to post which has been deleted.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-04-2017 at 08:14 AM..

Old 12-28-2016, 05:29 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
Genetic issues truly come into play with many generations of incest, like what happened to the Habsburg royal family over many generations. It's unlikely two first cousins who have no genetic history of incest would have a kid with one eye or something like that.

My primary concern is still that he has a lot to lose from the relationship going south and I do not think he is being realistic as to the potential consequences of the end of the affair. It would stand to hurt him more than if he put in an effort to find someone to be with who is unrelated.

Burgler, stop trying to compare this to gay relationships. That is a different topic for many reasons and is unrelated to this discussion.

Actually it isn't.

People just pick and choose what they want to support and what is cool and hip to support at the time.

I think two consenting adults should be able to live how they wish and not have to worry about other people. But people shouldn't act like there are differences in the matter so they can still feel progressive while saying " eew" to another situation.

Old 12-28-2016, 05:52 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,272,767 times
Sorry, I'm going with ewww too. Back in HS my cousin's son (I always said 2nd cousin but I think it might be 1st cousin once removed) came to my graduation. My family is odd in that I have cousins more than 20 years older than me so often their kids are oldr as well. My friend was interested in him but I could tell he wasn't so I discouraged her. She asked if I "liked" him and I was totally creeped out. I did once flirt a little with a step-cousin but even that felt odd. It's a huge country so no real reason to "keep it in the family" ( if you're in the US of course). I realize one incident isn't much risk but I've read so much about the mess those European families made genetically my mind immediately goes to "No" even if procreation won't be happening.

Old 12-28-2016, 06:00 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,202,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Actually it isn't.

People just pick and choose what they want to support and what is cool and hip to support at the time.

I think two consenting adults should be able to live how they wish and not have to worry about other people. But people shouldn't act like there are differences in the matter so they can still feel progressive while saying " eew" to another situation.

Well, I for one, do not choose to support something based on whether or not I find it to be 'hip () or cool. I choose to support it because I have honestly thought over how I feel about a particular subject, and I support what I feel is best or the right thing to do.

Mod cut.

So, while I believe two consenting related adults can do as they please, and I would never do anything to hurt or discriminate against them, that whole thing still gets rated ewwww for me. But no one needs to care about that because that is just my PERSONAL feeling about the matter. And i'm entitled to that.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-04-2017 at 08:18 AM.. Reason: Off-topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships