Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 09:50 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Why is "therapy" the answer for everything?

Therapy can be helpful once in a while, but very often, it does more harm than good. At best, it wastes the patient's time and money, and lines the pockets of insurance companies. At worst, it retraumatizes the patient, and pushes him into unhealthy or dangerous behaviors to cope. That was my own experience with therapy. Not to mention the proverbial crevasse between the fully controlled world a full-grown adult lives in and the powerless world a 9-year-old kid lives in. Or someone who lucked out and found a non-controlling LTR vs. someone like the OP. It's like a expecting a 1%-er to understand the poverty a laid-off steelworker deals with. Granted, it was in the 90's, when Ritalin and naive platitudes were de rigeur, but still.

Because he has been unwilling or unable to make the changes himself.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2017, 09:54 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,716,485 times
Quote:

Therapy can be helpful once in a while, but very often, it does more harm than good. At best, it wastes the patient's time and money, and lines the pockets of insurance companies. At worst, it retraumatizes the patient, and pushes him into unhealthy or dangerous behaviors to cope. That was my own experience with therapy. Not to mention the proverbial crevasse between the fully controlled world a full-grown adult lives in and the powerless world a 9-year-old kid lives in. Or someone who lucked out and found a non-controlling LTR vs. someone like the OP. It's like a expecting a 1%-er to understand the poverty a laid-off steelworker deals with. Granted, it was in the 90's, when Ritalin and naive platitudes were de rigeur, but still.
I think the bolded says it all. Glad you managed to overcome the damage and live the full, happy, satisfying life you have now.

Old 02-04-2017, 09:58 AM

102,191 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:

Therapy can be helpful once in a while, but very often, it does more harm than good. At best, it wastes the patient's time and money, and lines the pockets of insurance companies. At worst, it retraumatizes the patient, and pushes him into unhealthy or dangerous behaviors to cope. .
Not with a good, skilled therapist who knows how to avoid that. I'm sorry you got one who wasn't adequately trained. I hope you're ok now, M-U.

Therapy shouldn't do more harm than good. It shouldn't do any harm. If it isn't working out, the patient needs to seek a different therapist.

Therapy is the answer for the OP, because he had already written himself off as a loser by his mid-teens. He has accepted this label for himself, and seems to wear it like a badge, and has been doing so for over 20 years. Even when he had the opportunity for a moment of happiness in highschool, he pushed that person away, seemingly on purpose, so that he could continue justifying his negative view of himself. He didn't want his self-image to be challenged.

Therapy at that age would have been much better, but the OP, even then, was clinging to his badge, and wasn't interested in changing anything. Although it should be clear to anyone posting here that deep down, he does want to change things for the better, or he wouldn't have created this thread. The OP is a very confused and unhappy person. That's why therapy is the answer.

Old 02-04-2017, 10:00 AM

50,343 posts, read 63,918,476 times
I have not read all the posts, but I'm sure there are many good suggestions about how to fix yourself, which you will probably ignore.

Let's assume you are not ever going to have a relationship. Let's assume you are not the most attractive man on the planet. Then what?

Go about being the best you that you can be. Find out what makes you happy, and do that. Maybe after you have grown into the best person you can be, you will find a woman who appreciates you.

People find partners even when they are boring and ugly. You only need to go to any mall and watch for awhile. The problem is not how you look, it is your attitude.

Old 02-04-2017, 10:04 AM

102,191 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have not read all the posts, but I'm sure there are many good suggestions about how to fix yourself, which you will probably ignore.

Let's assume you are not ever going to have a relationship. Let's assume you are not the most attractive man on the planet. Then what?

Go about being the best you that you can be. Find out what makes you happy, and do that. Maybe after you have grown into the best person you can be, you will find a woman who appreciates you.

People find partners even when they are boring and ugly. You only need to go to any mall and watch for awhile. The problem is not how you look, it is your attitude.
The OP already found a woman who appreciated him, in his last year of HS, but he pushed her away. He created his LOSER! badge, and he's not going to let any woman remove it. It's HIS badge, so HE's the one who gets to decide what to do with it. No sweet little thing sidling up to him and smiling can make him throw away his badge.

So nyah!

Old 02-04-2017, 08:24 PM

1,713 posts, read 1,106,491 times
Quote:
Go about being the best you that you can be. Find out what makes you happy, and do that.
This is the approach I favour. When you put all your time and energy into improving and fulfilling yourself, relationships cease to be a priority. As does fretting over what everyone else is supposedly doing and wondering if you measure up.

Quote:
Maybe after you have grown into the best person you can be, you will find a woman who appreciates you..
Or maybe he won't, and he'll be so busy doing his own thing that he won't notice or care. The most important relationship anyone can have is with the person in the mirror.

Old 02-09-2017, 06:28 PM

1,418 posts, read 1,268,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
As did I at 50 and my wife at 48. No, it's never too late. It's a state of mind.
Yeah he missed out on many good years of his life, most of his prime years, yeah I guess the long and short of it it's because attraction is different for women than it is for men, hence that's why a female Eeyore can get a date or get a boyfriend but not the other way around

Old 02-09-2017, 09:05 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,927,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MogwaiLover217 View Post
Yeah he missed out on many good years of his life, most of his prime years, yeah I guess the long and short of it it's because attraction is different for women than it is for men, hence that's why a female Eeyore can get a date or get a boyfriend but not the other way around
That's not really true at all.

I've been out and seen countless Eeyore looking men with girlfriends.

This is a complete misinterpretation that people make.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:06 PM

1,418 posts, read 1,268,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninglikethieves View Post
That's not really true at all.

I've been out and seen countless Eeyore looking men with girlfriends.

This is a complete misinterpretation that people make.
I know it's not the point but I doubt you can think of any woman over 30 who has never had a boyfriend before, as for the other way around I'm sure you can think of plenty of guys in that boat

Old 02-10-2017, 07:30 PM

217 posts, read 237,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MogwaiLover217 View Post
I know it's not the point but I doubt you can think of any woman over 30 who has never had a boyfriend before, as for the other way around I'm sure you can think of plenty of guys in that boat
Unless she WANTED to avoid dating for a specific reason. In general, a woman who really wants a boyfriend can easily get one with little or no effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships