Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 08:29 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,469,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTroy View Post
So we developed a friendship while dating, but other people will decide to become friends first before they start to date.

When you met your Significant Other (SO). How did you meet? Were you friends before dating or did you become friends while dating
In 1991 I started work for a state department and was taken around to get the lay of the land in the headquarters and meet the people I would be working with. Among them was the secretary of the Office of Legislation. She was less than friendly and looked briefly at me like someone would look at a bug under a microscope. I was intrigued and found her attractive and somewhat exotic. However, being married I left it at that and soon realized that when it came to men she was the proverbial Ice Maiden.

Over the course of the next several years I found myself dragged unwillingly into the political and legislative arena, one that would shape my career for the next 20 years. The Ice Maiden and I often worked together on legislative issues and over time became innocent work friends, never seeing one another outside of work. Eventually she promoted to another, allied agency for which I often served as a policy consultant so we continued our friendship and worked together on occasion.

Meanwhile my wife of 25 years left me for another. For the next two years I live like a monk with no desire, whatsoever, for a social life. Finally, at age 50 I decided to try a bit and asked the Ice Maiden out. Not trusting men - she'd been divorced for 18 years and hadn't dated for 11 - she was apprehensive but accepted. By that time we'd been friends for five years and she trusted me. She was but two years younger than I was and despite many differences we had a lot in common. It just felt right. We quickly fell in love, married and have remained so for the past 20 years.

I'm a great believer in marrying one's friend. It's a good base upon which to build a strong relationship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 12:15 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
Tell that to the sap who does everything for the friend, hoping one day he/she will be recognized, only to have the "friend" treat them like a doormat! I've been there, many years ago, and boy, I've learned my lesson. Never again! If I'm not seen as relationship material, adios.
That's not sap behavior.
That's crap behavior.
*Pretending* friendship bc you're really lurking around waiting for hooha.
That's really sh***y.
Get what you deserve on that one.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:26 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,193,726 times
Thank you to everyone who put in their thoughts and opinions in for my question

Old 01-10-2017, 10:21 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,775,975 times
I can't imagine dating a stranger, and I can't imagine dating someone I know with whom I am not friends. It's very strange to me.

However most of the men of my acquaintance back then (when I was still dating) were utterly creeped out by the idea of dating a female friend. Makes me wonder just what they had planned for a date that they wouldn't do to a friend.

Needless to say, the varying attitudes did not lead to many connections, LOL!

Old 01-11-2017, 02:51 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,791,155 times
John and I were never friends when we started dating. Actually he was one of my clients. I spent way longer then I should have with him on my business call one afternoon. We were strangers meeting for the first time alone in his apartment. The chemistry between us was off the charts. We had a whirlwind romance and married 9 months after we met. Is he my friend now? No he's my husband, my lover ( and what a lover ), my knight in shining armor, my companion, but not my friend. Friends are not that romantic in my universe. They're on a different level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships