Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 01:13 PM

112 posts, read 66,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'm going to tap out now, I can't follow your logic.
My logic is that teaching someone about "bad people" doesn't lead to the conclusion that they will date well.

When that same boy meets a little minx that is far more experienced than he, and perhaps even has cruel intentions, that sort of teaching won't make a bit of difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 01:15 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Aaah. The demon alcohol.

Personally, I think the whole puritanical attitude about alcohol in the United States is what causes the problem. If you grow up with a bottle of wine on the dinner table as a normal thing and don't treat alcohol as some horrible sin, we wouldn't have teen binge drinking.
I agree and it frankly used to annoy me when people would get all prudish about alcohol, typically the bible thumper set, but after I gave it a thought, most of these types of people are the ones that have had destructive relationships with people that had problems with the bottle.

People that have a few glasses of wine here and there throughout a week aren't horrible people to avoid, at least in my experiences.

Old 01-20-2017, 01:23 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyGerbil View Post
I'm wondering what I should tell my son if/when he asks me about dating and different types of women. I want the best for him but I don't really know what I should tell him. How should I advise him as to which women to go for and which types to avoid?
I told mine to stay away from crazy bytches. But of course they have to be thinking with their big heads to do that.

Old 01-20-2017, 01:34 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyGerbil View Post
I'm wondering what I should tell my son if/when he asks me about dating and different types of women. I want the best for him but I don't really know what I should tell him. How should I advise him as to which women to go for and which types to avoid?
Most normal sons don't look to their mothers for advice about women. In fact, most of them are interested in the kind of women they know their mothers would not like. If they have any sense, they'd do their best to never let their mothers know anything about who they are seeing. I learned this through bad personal experience. Women should be spared having to deal with mothers-in-law. Just the fact that the OP is suggesting that she would have a say in who her son chooses, shows her intentions.

Old 01-20-2017, 02:25 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,541,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckOfMs View Post
As has been mentioned, by the time one is dating they should have some ideas about what kind of people they are more and less compatible with.

Of course, people change over time.
And we should always be reassessing our thought about the world we live in. So, it's good to interact with different people and even people you might disagree with; you might find that certain people you didn't like previously make more sense to you now.

Most people start dating in their teens. They do not know themselves, much less what kind of people they are compatible with. Sometimes they do not even know for sure which sex they are compatible with and if they are straight, gay, or bisexual.

However as you say people change over time. This is a point for not marrying too young, before middle 20s. It is as much about maturity and learning how to compromise and work together when you do not agree as it is about changing viewpoints and opinions. People can change opinions to agree or disagree. That does not necessarily make them compatible or incompatible depending on what it is. It is really about character, temperament, and approach to life.

Old 01-20-2017, 02:36 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,527,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Most normal sons don't look to their mothers for advice about women. In fact, most of them are interested in the kind of women they know their mothers would not like. If they have any sense, they'd do their best to never let their mothers know anything about who they are seeing. I learned this through bad personal experience. Women should be spared having to deal with mothers-in-law. Just the fact that the OP is suggesting that she would have a say in who her son chooses, shows her intentions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seija View Post
I read the other comments and threads by the OP. I think the OP is a man. That would make this thread even sillier, wouldn't it?
That's a good point actually..... I just assumed it was a bloke asking

I'll take Seijas word for it....So thank you for the clarification ( Edit just checked it is a bloke 1000000% )

Old 01-20-2017, 02:40 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,306,679 times
He'll have to find out on his own sometimes kids don't listen despite the fact that older mature people know the game.

Old 01-20-2017, 02:40 PM

5,741 posts, read 4,699,967 times
Assuming he's of appropriate age, buy him a big box of condoms, and tell him to experience them all. Variety is the spice of life. He'll then figure out what he likes for himself.

Old 01-20-2017, 02:41 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,710,907 times
Hmm, well I was too lazy to go through the posts to see how old your son is, if you posted it . However, he needs to just go out there and chase what he likes. Chances are he goes for a girl who's a looker and not much else. Not trying to single out your son but most guys at a younger age go for the pretty women, maybe hes not into that. He needs to learn through experience.

Old 01-20-2017, 02:47 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1end View Post
Of course it is

You don't think that men make different decisions when they are sexually aroused by a person?

This is plain naivety.

Dating is it's own particular, entirely.
Nah.

If you've learned to be skilled at reading people, have insight to others' character, and have developed the ability to make sound character judgments, you have the life skills necessary to surround yourself with quality people. Period.

You either do or don't exercise good judgment about people. The, "I have good judgment, but it all goes out the window when aroused," argument doesn't wash. If this is you, you don't have good judgment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships