Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 04:29 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,354,404 times

Advertisements

I am in my almost mid thirties...

I like this time I am in now, but there is no comparison at all between now and my twenties.

In my twenties I was raising a family, and I lost both of my parents... In my thirties, I am still raising a family, and at it now alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 04:52 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,656,986 times
Man, I'm in my 60s and if I knew then what I know now.... I forgot....

Old 03-01-2008, 04:59 PM

23 posts, read 92,123 times
Every decade only proves that the more I think I know the more I realize how I little I know.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:01 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,231,607 times
Well I am going to have to go with my 20's. They had to be good, I don't remember very much from that decade...............

Old 03-01-2008, 06:35 PM

730 posts, read 2,254,125 times
Doglover- I have the same anxieties you have. I am turning 30 this fall.I have always dreaded getting older, even though it beats the alternative.

My 20'a were pretty much wonderful. Went to college for awhile, but didnt finish.I married young,was a military wife with two great children. I got to see so much of the country and stay home with the kids.What a blessing.The upside of him getting out of the military was that i finally got to establish a stable career.The pivotal moment was my divorce which was final by the time I turned 27. Life-just when you think you know how it will go-you get to start all over! This was a very dark patch.

I will say however- I much as I dread 30, as it approaches my life once again has so much promise.Like others have said, I feel it will be a more stable decade. My children are well rounded and doing great, I have the chaos of single mother hood down to an art, have gotten past the emotion of my divorce and have a positive and even thankful attitude towards my ex for leaving,I have a job that provides a comfortable living for the kids and my career continues to advance. I am in a healthy relationship with a great man- and even more valuable I have the peace to know if that even if there is no man in my life (besides my son) That I will be just fine.

So as much as harsh as it will be to see 30 on paper and as much as I don't like the thought of wrinkles and no longer getting carded, etc,etc. When I see some young pretty thing-I don't really know that I would trade places with her.I think back and think "WOW, I made it through that" I feel a little wiser for the doing so.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:54 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,384,252 times
For me turning 30 was really no big deal. I had a BLAST all throughout my 20s. Dating, going out with friends, starting new jobs, exploring the city. I am only in my early 30s, but so far I am loving it too. In my 30s, I married my husband, we moved across the country to Utah, and are living in a mountain town. I really miss living in the city, and all the excitement that you get from living in the city, but every morning, I wake up and see those beautiful mountains, and I get excited all over again. And I am happy that my husband is here to share this with too.

I guess I have no preference. Although my 30s were never anything to dread for me.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:23 PM

672 posts, read 5,822,106 times
Another interesting thing to think about is what your interests were in your 20's versus your 30's.

For instance, in my early 20's my interests were dating and grad school. In my mid 20's, I was excited about getting married. Now, in my early 30's, my interests are real estate (buying our first house) and more domestic things surrounding that, such as were to settle down, etc.

However, I had a lot more fun in my 20's than in my 30's. I really miss that. I had great friends and had a lot of fun.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:55 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,384,252 times
hmmm, for me my interests are pretty much the same. (except that I had way more free time to pursue my interests once I finished grad school in my mid 20s).

Old 03-02-2008, 02:03 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,829,848 times
In my 20's I had just set out on the Highway of Life.

In my 30's I was well into my Journey, but wasn't certain where it was taking me.

In my 40's my life travelled forward with an occasional Pothole and maybe a little Roadkill.

In my 50's I could navigate the Road of Life on Cruise Control.

In my 60's I could see my destination just up ahead. I had finally made it.

Then I ran out of gas, my engine burned up, and all my tires went flat.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:48 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Thirties over twenties, definitely.

I still battled acne in the first half of my twenties. Thereafter, I had a clean complexion. LOL.

Much more confident in my thirties. Heck, I even went up to car rental counters in Spain and Portugal, renting cars and handling the transaction in their language and then driving around those countries, talking to the locals like it was nothing. I was pretty much able to do whatever I wanted.

Also, by my thirties, I was able to tell people where they could go. In my twenties, I would have never dreamed of doing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships