Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 09:09 AM

971 posts, read 688,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibit_B View Post
Hello!

I'm mid-30s, the GF is early 20s. There's a 13 year ago gap between us. She's a full-time grad student. We started off casually and moved in together after a few months of dating. We've been dating for 2 years now and I've provided all her tuition and expenses, as well as the perks of dating an established bachelor with disposable income and lots of toys.

Since she's young, she's still influenced by her peer group and the grad school social life. It has caused issue in our relationship early on. I made a point to allow her to feel as free as possible and no longer displayed jealous or insecure behavior. This helped a lot and she opened up to me a lot more over the years.

We haven't discussed marriage or kids directly, it's more of a vague or open ended comment here and there. Her girlfriend's are pretty cordial with me and privately state to me "you guys are an awesome couple", "I hope you guys get married". "I tell your GF all the time, how wonderful of a guy you are"., etc..

I'm conflicted because there are hints of us being serious; and at the same time, she expresses a want of independence and can be hot/cold, sometimes distant (We're both introverts).

Because of the ambiguity of the relationship and the uncertainty of dating a 20-something; I've been considering breaking it off for my own sanity. Her final grad school classes can be taken online. I have the opportunity to relocate across the country for leisurely life on the beach. My logic is that if she is serious, she'll relocate with me. If its all fake, and I'm more of a convenience for her I'd imagine she'd have an excuse to stay behind.
Been in your shoes with a bigger age gap. Same deal. The young friends loved me and told her how lucky she was to have me and what a cute couple we were. She talked long term and i wouldn't hear of it. She was not long about leaving. If i had it to do over again things would be different.
Big risk on your part to give an ultimatum. Hope you have a plan to live this carefree beach life happily without her if you are willing to gamble she will come with. Good luck to you. Let us know what she says.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 01:05 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
You sound like her Sugar Daddy...not her boyfriend.
This. I never understood why the OP is paying her tuition and bills. Who was paying for that before they got together? It sounds like basically, he bought her attention. And he's wondering why she's distant sometimes, and hot/cold? Dude, it sounds like she's just not that into you. And why would someone in their mid-20's, still in school, want to get involved long term with someone already in middle age, soon to show signs of aging, if it's not for the free ride and as you called them--"the perks" of being with an older guy with lots of disposable income and a lot of toys?

It's so interesting the way the OP phrased the situation, and then he's surprised she might only be in it for the free tuition and "the perks". It really sounds like--whether consciously or unconsciously--he set it up to be that way from the get-go.

OP, move to the beach, and find someone closer to your own age who has their own income and can buy their own "perks". Someone on an equal footing to you, whose affection you don't need to buy. Someone who's into you for you. Or are you afraid you don't have that much to offer, other than material benefits?

Old 02-17-2017, 02:52 PM

1,199 posts, read 730,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
It's generally not a good idea to test someone you supposedly love with "logic" like that.

It reads like you want to move to a new opportunity and are ambivalent about her being a part of that. If that's the case, then say so. She will know full well what her own choices are, although she may not be emotionally mature enough to make a choice that makes the most sense for both of you.

This doesn't even address the fact that you've been supporting her for these years and now are considering stopping that, which isn't the most important factor here but certainly will influence her emotional state and decision-making process.
Yes it is good to look at with that logic.

He mentions that she is hot and cold. He has second thoughts that her feelings for him are genuine, that she may be using him. In his mind, a male mind, a logical mind, this is simply an A or B conclusion. And I agree.

Old 02-17-2017, 03:09 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings18 View Post
Yes it is good to look at with that logic.
What he was planning isn't logic. It's deflection.

Quote:
He mentions that she is hot and cold. He has second thoughts that her feelings for him are genuine, that she may be using him.
Then he needs to ASK HER what her actual feelings are. But he never did that. He hinted.

Quote:

In his mind, a male mind, a logical mind, this is simply an A or B conclusion. And I agree.
**ew**

Come on.

Old 02-17-2017, 03:38 PM

1,199 posts, read 730,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
What he was planning isn't logic. It's deflection.

Then he needs to ASK HER what her actual feelings are. But he never did that. He hinted.

**ew**

Come on.
Yes because if she doesn't love him and is using him she is going to readily admit that. lol please.

Old 02-17-2017, 03:48 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Yes because if she doesn't love him and is using him she is going to readily admit that. lol please.
I've already explained my approach to that problem. It's not my fault you're late to the party. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Don't use gross generalizations at least, as if all men have logical minds or all women don't/can't.

Old 02-17-2017, 04:52 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,450,158 times
She is easily influenced not just because of her age...that's an excuse to excuse her responsibility in all things

If you feel she is incapable of having a mutually respected relationship, you should just move on. I mean really...at the end of the day what are you doing here with her?

Who wants to feel like their spouses parent?

Old 02-17-2017, 09:50 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibit_B View Post
Hello!

I'm mid-30s, the GF is early 20s. There's a 13 year ago gap between us. She's a full-time grad student. We started off casually and moved in together after a few months of dating. We've been dating for 2 years now and I've provided all her tuition and expenses, as well as the perks of dating an established bachelor with disposable income and lots of toys.

Since she's young, she's still influenced by her peer group and the grad school social life. It has caused issue in our relationship early on. I made a point to allow her to feel as free as possible and no longer displayed jealous or insecure behavior. This helped a lot and she opened up to me a lot more over the years.

We haven't discussed marriage or kids directly, it's more of a vague or open ended comment here and there. Her girlfriend's are pretty cordial with me and privately state to me "you guys are an awesome couple", "I hope you guys get married". "I tell your GF all the time, how wonderful of a guy you are"., etc..

I'm conflicted because there are hints of us being serious; and at the same time, she expresses a want of independence and can be hot/cold, sometimes distant (We're both introverts).

Because of the ambiguity of the relationship and the uncertainty of dating a 20-something; I've been considering breaking it off for my own sanity. Her final grad school classes can be taken online. I have the opportunity to relocate across the country for leisurely life on the beach. My logic is that if she is serious, she'll relocate with me. If its all fake, and I'm more of a convenience for her I'd imagine she'd have an excuse to stay behind.
Say bye bye and see how she reacts.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:26 PM

273 posts, read 503,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Well, how did it go, OP?
It has been a huge learning lesson. After posting I was set on making a stance of "you're either in or you're out"... This didn't go over well. In fact we argued, she ran home to family and friends. We had over a week of no contact. It was a painful but refreshing break.

After some time away we finally had an open and honest discussion. She laid out her stresses; course load, potential job offers, summer travel plans, cities she had been considering moving to after graduating. I didn't take this as her being selfish or planning on doing things without me. I listened to her talk and I understood exactly where she was coming from.

This lead to me traveling more and plotting what it was that I wanted. As I started focusing more on myself... she gradually started to open up. I noticed she was pursuing me more and had a much calmer demeanor in my presence. She'd say things like "my last classes are online so I'm free to go wherever". She asked me point blank why I wanted to relocate and I pulled my notes out and we talked about pros and cons of my choices. After a few days I noticed she would talk in terms of "we" and her thoughts on the cities I was narrowing down to. She's now actively involved in "OUR" relocation plans.

In hindsight, maybe she was looking for me to take the lead all along ?!?

Old 04-27-2017, 12:42 PM

2,094 posts, read 1,925,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegal View Post
How is 41 "mid-30's"? And 26 is mid, not early twenties. I pass for 5-10 years younger, but I don't claim to be...

I guess the next time someone says they're 35, I should assume they're really 40-something.
Right- very weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships