Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 10:05 PM

30 posts, read 32,669 times

Advertisements

There have been times, when I was watching television when there would be a story about some nice lady who married a professional con artist and lost her life savings. I know you have seen them. Usually it is a an who does this repeatedly and victimizes "lonely" or "vulnerable" women.

When I would see these shows, I would shake my head and say, "tsk tsk, how can a grown woman be so gullible and stupid, surely she could have seen through his lies if she had wanted to". I'm sure you have said something similar.

Well, I am here to tell you that it's really just not that easy. It's really not. I "fell in love" with a man and I tell you, it blinds you and makes you crazy. No, he was not a "con artist" not in the true sense of the word, but he did take advantage of my generosity and kind spirit. And he wasn't even really very nice to me, but I loved him so much I would do anything. I would have given him my last dollar and lived on the street and eaten out of dumpsters. I tell you this love thing is not good. It is not good at all.

Fortunately, believe it or not, he wasn't a con man, and that is the only thing that saved me. He had enough integrity to feel a little guilty because I kept giving him money and he wasn't giving me anything back, just a thank you. And he would ignore me all the time and treat me like I was not important to him because HEY! I WASN'T IMPORTANT TO HIM! DUH!!!!!! But I could not tell that he didn't care for me. I was so blinded.

So, please people, when you hear about someone being conned, or cheated or taken advantage of, or even abused and mistreated, don't shake your head and think to yourself how stupid that woman is. Because if it can happen to me, it can happen to anybody. It's like a drug and when you are on it, you can't see the world clearly.

Just a thought from someone who learned a very hard and painful lesson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 10:10 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Te Quiero View Post
It's like a drug and when you are on it, you can't see the world clearly.
Yep. I get it.

Thanks for sharing. Sorry for what you've been through.

The worst part about love is that it requires you to be vulnerable, and for someone to hurt a person who finally does allow themselves to be vulnerable really is the worst.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:20 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Perhaps Bob Marley said it best (imo):

"The biggest coward of a man is to awaken the love of a woman without the intention of loving her."

Just make sure this is a lesson well learned, so it won't be repeated in the future. Hugs.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Perhaps Bob Marley said it best (imo):

"The biggest coward of a man is to awaken the love of a woman without the intention of loving her."

Old 01-31-2017, 10:22 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
I know it must be something. I've seen so many female friends and relatives with this problem. I'm sure you are not alone.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:29 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

Has happened to me more times than I care to admit. Let's just say, I'm not letting my experiences jade me, I still take what is said at face value but I've learned to identify certain non-verbal cues that may belie the lines I'm being fed. Sometimes I gotta bust out the five inch heels 👠 👠 to wade around it.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Has happened to me more times than I care to admit. Let's just say, I'm not letting my experiences jade me, I still take what is said at face value but I've learned to identify certain non-verbal cues that may belie the lines I'm being fed. Sometimes I gotta bust out the five inch heels �� �� to wade around it.
Some people are pros at making it feel real, while many of us are pros at the wanting to believe! LOL

And Bob Marley was such as boss.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:50 PM

636 posts, read 392,749 times
Here's an interesting video on the topic of manipulation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaUhR-tRkHY

This is how the creator of the video describes himself
Quote:
Description
UK YouTuber with a special interest in exploring and combatting systems of undue influence — the prime example being religion.
And I discovered his videos from an atheistic standpoint

But feel free to put that aside, for this video which is a good look at manipulation.

Old 02-01-2017, 12:21 AM

574 posts, read 377,026 times
Here is a plan. Never let anyone know your net worth. There is no reason for men or women to flaunt wealth unless they wish to attract someone who is motivated by money.

Old 02-01-2017, 01:17 AM

914 posts, read 737,927 times
That's a really sad story, thanks for sharing.

I think you should spend some time reflecting on why you loved him so much when he "wasn't even really very nice" to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships