Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 10:28 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times

Advertisements

Negative on meeting the kids.

Obviously the couple is not stable enough for them to have brought the kids into this.

I have a friend who thought EVERY guy was the exception to her rule of not meeting the child for 6 months, and thus, a parade of men.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 10:52 AM

622 posts, read 395,926 times
I don't have a Facebook page and don't know that much about it, but it sounds like what she has been doing is pretty much the norm. You seem to have some trust issues though and need to come to terms with that. Is she really untrustworthy or are you just letting some bad experiences in past relationships affect your ability to trust anyone again? I really can't answer that for you. Only you can. I would say the two of you are still in the get-to-know-you phase and recommend you not rush into anything more than being exclusive for now.

Old 02-05-2017, 11:13 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
You know, kids meet people all the time that aren't 'forever' people that they might like or form temporary attachment to, like a teacher, for instance. It doesn't destroy them.
Moving in and taking on a full time parent type role can be different but even that can be comparable to having a nanny or frequent babysitter or even neighbors that have become great friends but move.
I think too many people go too far in the "don't let him meet your kids" bit.
Kids know they'll be getting new teachers every year and obviously the teacher is not a possible lifetime parental surrogate/figure. They know that their parent and SO do "special stuff" together and that makes much more of an impression than a frequent babysitter! I'm sure some kids really get their hopes up...just like the adults do and it's not fair for it to happen all the time - as in multiple times a year or even every year.

Friends moving? That's clearly beyond their control...but mom or dad CAN control bringing their "friends" home too soon.

Old 02-05-2017, 12:12 PM

10,342 posts, read 5,864,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Kids know they'll be getting new teachers every year and obviously the teacher is not a possible lifetime parental surrogate/figure. They know that their parent and SO do "special stuff" together and that makes much more of an impression than a frequent babysitter! I'm sure some kids really get their hopes up...just like the adults do and it's not fair for it to happen all the time - as in multiple times a year or even every year.

Friends moving? That's clearly beyond their control...but mom or dad CAN control bringing their "friends" home too soon.
Agreed. Unless the parent is doing "special stuff" with the teacher and babysitter also, it's entirely different.

I'm happy I waited, I won't think back and wish I had brought a parade of men around. Alternatively I would've regretted adding to the drama in my child's life caused by her parents, had I been trying to recreate a 'mom and dad atmosphere' after that big failure, if more were to follow.

She's an adult now and moved out last year. She told me she hopes the parade has started now that I don't have to worry about her emotional state.

Old 02-05-2017, 12:38 PM

107 posts, read 138,577 times
how long is the honeymoon phase supposed to last?

Old 02-05-2017, 12:58 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,523,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypennington View Post
When you're no longer like rabbits it ends

No seriously there's no set time mate

Old 02-05-2017, 01:20 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,028,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypennington View Post
There isn't a set time, however with kids, I think reality hits much sooner than a couple with no one to think about but themselves.

Old 02-06-2017, 07:29 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,721,722 times
There are always adjustments in relationships before reaching equilibrium...or chaos.

Can you tell if the adjustment path is steadying out, or unstable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships