Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 05:46 AM

113 posts, read 85,865 times

Advertisements

I guess this is more of a question for men. I think women generally are more forgiving on looks since looks fade.

So many posts here by men mention a woman's looks more than women here mentioning a man's looks. The whole "but men are visual" is one of the biggest BS excuses for someone to think with their penis more than with their heart and brain! What are you going to do when your SO gets pregnant and blows up? Not have sex with her because you lost physical attraction? How about when she is trying to lose the baby weight? What about if she gains weight for any other reason such as less working out and more "fun food"? The men are visual thing implies to me that if a female SO loses her looks, men will either dump you or cheat on you because they lost physical attraction to you.

Anyway what I mean by dated is more than a couple of times.

I've never really dated anyone who I would call ugly on the outside but I have dated guys that were either average looking or just below. It truly was the kind of thing where their personality was so great that they did start to look better to me. One guy in particular stood out to me. He was on the short and skinny side- he was maybe 5'5. We were around the same height and while I'm not huge, I easily outweighed him. What did it for me was this guy had the most confidence that I have ever seen in my life (it ended up being cockiness though lol). Another was a middle aged man who was out of shape and temporarily disabled with a knee injury. I met him online and he looked nothing like his pictures. The pictures were clearly pre injury when he was maybe 50 pounds lighter. His face was meh too. What I liked about him was he was charming and worldly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 06:05 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,876,035 times
Yes, I (male) have dated someone unattractive: my first girlfriend, freshman year of college. Now, she wasn't ugly, but I wasn't attracted to her, like, at all. I started seeing her for the wrong reasons: I had no dating experience before, and she was the first girl to show interest in me. The relationship grew pretty quickly. By second week, we were walking around campus hand-in-hand. She also gave me my first kiss. And yet, something was missing, and I couldn't put my finger on what it was. (Don't forget how old I was at the time.) On top of that, we had almost no shared interests, outside of the same college, so planning dates with her was more difficult than I imagined. For some reason, I didn't push for sex, either. Either out of shyness or not knowing how.

The whole thing lasted a few months, and fell apart without a lot of hurt feelings on either part. Oh well. For all I know, she may have felt about me the same as I felt about her. But we'll never know now.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:06 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Nope.
Never.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:12 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
I dated a couple guys who weren't attractive by "most" standards, but one in particular stands out. We worked together on a newspaper staff, and he looked like a young Van Morrison. Well, not even THAT cute.

But he had swagger, and in my mind that canceled out his looks. Prior to that I always focused more on the pretty boy type, but the way this guy treated me just got to me. He was confident and laughed a lot and treated me like a queen. We lasted about a year, and he made me second-guess some life choices I was making.

Ah, well ....

Old 02-07-2017, 06:32 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,348,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaCollie View Post
I guess this is more of a question for men. I think women generally are more forgiving on looks since looks fade.

So many posts here by men mention a woman's looks more than women here mentioning a man's looks. The whole "but men are visual" is one of the biggest BS excuses for someone to think with their penis more than with their heart and brain! What are you going to do when your SO gets pregnant and blows up? Not have sex with her because you lost physical attraction? How about when she is trying to lose the baby weight? What about if she gains weight for any other reason such as less working out and more "fun food"? The men are visual thing implies to me that if a female SO loses her looks, men will either dump you or cheat on you because they lost physical attraction to you.

Anyway what I mean by dated is more than a couple of times.

I've never really dated anyone who I would call ugly on the outside but I have dated guys that were either average looking or just below. It truly was the kind of thing where their personality was so great that they did start to look better to me. One guy in particular stood out to me. He was on the short and skinny side- he was maybe 5'5. We were around the same height and while I'm not huge, I easily outweighed him. What did it for me was this guy had the most confidence that I have ever seen in my life (it ended up being cockiness though lol). Another was a middle aged man who was out of shape and temporarily disabled with a knee injury. I met him online and he looked nothing like his pictures. The pictures were clearly pre injury when he was maybe 50 pounds lighter. His face was meh too. What I liked about him was he was charming and worldly.
Edit: Lovely

Old 02-07-2017, 06:46 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
No. I've said before that nothing (e.g. personality, wealth, height, body) can make up for a face that I don't like, but some people think that's shallow. I don't care though.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:00 AM

19,715 posts, read 20,244,680 times
Unfortunately yeah, but I didn't find out til he took his pants off..

Old 02-07-2017, 07:04 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
I have dated a few men when I was younger that were not "gorgeous", but by no means ugly. I married at 27 so no more dating, but one needs to remember that beauty fades with age. Besides that other things can happen that can alter one's appearance. Such as, my husband was in a horrific auto accident and has had 4 reconstructive facial surgeries. So he definitely looks different from when I married him, but to me he's still handsome. It's true what people say, you must be attracted to someone, but beauty goes deeper!

Old 02-07-2017, 07:09 AM

332 posts, read 294,605 times
Not really, if I'm not physically attracted to a guy, I won't even bother wasting his or my time. Finding an attractive guy combined with a good personality isn't as hard as it seems, and I'm pretty picky. It's definitely not all about looks, but it plays a pretty big role to me.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:09 AM

113 posts, read 85,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Unfortunately yeah, but I didn't find out til he took his pants off..
You are so bad LOL!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships