Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 09:18 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times

Advertisements

As a feminist, I wouldn't want to hang out with her on a social basis. Why would you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 09:19 AM

113 posts, read 85,845 times
While I'm female, and least she is unemployed and trying to pursue what she wants (entertainment). That being said to me at a certain age it just gets harder and harder to get discovered....

The rest of what you said would easily be a no. It reminds me of this episode of Law and Order SVU. The victim was this woman in her 20s who went from job to job only in fields where she knew wealthy men wold be there.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:21 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,346,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
I was dating this 30 year old aspiring actress/performer of shows and musicals with dreams to make it to broadway. But she basically just has one part time job at a museum that could lead to a lower paying full time job, and works at whole foods part time with the occasional low budget show performance. I see no real career in her future and what makes it worse is she is a self-proclaimed feminist who wants a guy to take care of her and won't date another actor/performer because they don't make enough. Which kind of goes against feminism. What are you guys thoughts on dating a girl like this? Would you do it long term?
As I said in another thread recently, lovely

Old 02-07-2017, 09:26 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
I was dating this 30 year old aspiring actress/performer of shows and musicals with dreams to make it to broadway. But she basically just has one part time job at a museum that could lead to a lower paying full time job, and works at whole foods part time with the occasional low budget show performance. I see no real career in her future and what makes it worse is she is a self-proclaimed feminist who wants a guy to take care of her and won't date another actor/performer because they don't make enough. Which kind of goes against feminism. What are you guys thoughts on dating a girl like this? Would you do it long term?
Too high maintenance and a dreamer to boot. Pass.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:30 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
The work situation isn't the issue, to me. It's reality for performers and artists that they'll have side jobs to support the realities of creative work. That's normal for those who choose this path. Full-time work rarely provides the flexibility to accommodate audition and rehearsal schedules, so cobbling income together with PT work is pretty standard. It's understandably not for everybody, but it's reality for people motivated to pursue careers in performance.

The issue would be more that her expectation is that an SO functions primarily as an income supplementer, which is why she is shuns the idea of dating others in her same circle of experience.

It's the attitude and expectations that are problematic, moreso than the choice of work.
Yep, exactly. As a performer, the fact that she works part time jobs in order to be flexible enough to audition, rehearse, etc. for the benefit of her career isn't what's problematic. That she wants to be a kept woman is the problem.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:30 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times
Quote:
Is it just a phase, or has she been in the same low-paying job for 10 years with the same aspirations and doing absolutely nothing to actually move closer to her goals?

Old 02-07-2017, 09:31 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,161,537 times
Quote:
Sounds delusional. Since you are with her, I suspect you think she is attractive. Maybe the problem is that she also thinks she is attractive and can coast on her looks.

I think it really depends on what YOU want/need. If you are OK with taking care (financially) of someone for the rest of her life, then no problem. For me, problem.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:07 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,368,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
The work situation isn't the issue, to me. It's reality for performers and artists that they'll have side jobs to support the realities of creative work. That's normal for those who choose this path. Full-time work rarely provides the flexibility to accommodate audition and rehearsal schedules, so cobbling income together with PT work is pretty standard. It's understandably not for everybody, but it's reality for people motivated to pursue careers in performance.

The issue would be more that her expectation is that an SO functions primarily as an income supplementer, which is why she is shuns the idea of dating others in her same circle of experience.

It's the attitude and expectations that are problematic, moreso than the choice of work.
What she said.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:48 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
No career, but she does have a passion and works to make ends meet? No problem.

Wants a partner "to take care of her" and claims to be a feminist? You have a possible psychopathic narccissist on your hands! Run!

Old 02-07-2017, 11:01 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,037,189 times
I wouldn't date someone I blatantly didn't like and/or respect. I'm not sure why you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships