Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 11:51 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,144 times

Advertisements

This is why I like my friend and his gf's idea to mix up the holidays. They get to celebrate on their own terms, and the supplies are cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 12:04 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,369,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post
It's really easy for those of us who have partners to say that it is just another day and who cares. But my memory is long enough to recall Valentine's Days where I was single and not happy about it, and it sucked. We all know that these are commercialized holidays, but there are still alot of emotions and expectations that get aroused by them. For example, I have a tough time around Christmas because I don't have a close-knit family. I can definitely have empathy for those that are having a rough time today.
I can definitely understand and empathize with those who feel left out during certain holidays and celebrations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiangirl_2015 View Post
I see what you are saying. But I was single for a long time. I guess the difference is I liked being single. I just don't think people should put some much emphasis on one day of the year. I find a lot of these things the expectations are too high. Perfect xmas, perfect valentines, perfect new years eve, etc etc. It's really important to remember that people try to act like their relationship is perfect to the outside world. I know a few people like this, constantly posting on facebook about how much they love their wonderful hubby, etc, but in reality they are miserable.
This seems more like what folks tell themselves in order to feel better about their life or situation. While I have known people like this, I also know others who are nothing but genuine about the details they share on occasion. I'm definitely one of those people who can and does gush about my husband on many occasions, but it isn't a front. We are genuinely happy. I don't need to fake it.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:13 PM

888 posts, read 555,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
I can definitely understand and empathize with those who feel left out during certain holidays and celebrations.

This seems more like what folks tell themselves in order to feel better about their life or situation. While I have known people like this, I also know others who are nothing but genuine about the details they share on occasion. I'm definitely one of those people who can and does gush about my husband on many occasions, but it isn't a front. We are genuinely happy. I don't need to fake it.

I feel fine about my situation. I'm happy. The people who do this bragging on facebook I know for a fact are miserable. They have told me flat out. But she likes to pretend to have the perfect life with her husband and to appear that way to the outside world. And it's constant. I never go onto facebook and mention anything, I don't want flowers at work, I don't need to " brag" about how happy I am. Not saying you are doing that, you like to gush and that's cool. But don't assume everyone who does this on social media is as happy as they say.

And people should try to be happy with what they have. There is usually something good in someone's life even if they don't have a partner..... cuddle your dog or cat, have tea or a drink with a friend, binge watch your favorite show, volunteer somewhere that calls to you. I guess my point is, you can be happy without a " valentine" and single, but it's up to the person who is single to make that happen. No good comes from thinking your life is going to suck until you find someone.

Old 02-14-2017, 01:44 PM

1,921 posts, read 1,740,395 times
I thought I could get through V-Day without crying ... Massive fail.

Went to the gym, sat there for hours on end doing nothing, checking his FB profile and making assumptions as to whether he's found someone new. Then my mind kept going round and round in circles wondering 'what happened' and telling me 'it's for the best, he's not ready for someone like you'. After two hours of moping, I removed both his phone numbers from my phone and blocked him on FB, so I stop checking/torturing myself.

Then, I chose not to work out, headed home and tried to fight those stupid tears on the way. When I got home, I cried endlessly wondering 'why' and remembering how things went. Then, I started picturing him with someone new and my heart shattered instantly. Those stupid tears kept running down my face. I then finally calmed down, telling myself that we don't know what the future holds and I've been through worse.

Yet, I know I will be crying myself to sleep tonight because I don't know what's worse: 1. Having an amazing connection with someone who is blinded by the substance and cannot see how great it is 2. The fact that we both randomly wound up at the same place at the same time halfway through the damn continent after a year of not seeing each other which in my eyes signified we were meant to be 3. Or the fact that someone I instantly fell for the moment I saw them and seemed to reciprocate ended up treated me like utter garbage a year later, therefore shattering all my dreams.

I'm going to stop here, but I cannot handle it.

Last edited by LostinPhilly; 02-14-2017 at 02:02 PM..

Old 02-14-2017, 02:49 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,539,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
I thought I could get through V-Day without crying ... Massive fail.

Went to the gym, sat there for hours on end doing nothing, checking his FB profile and making assumptions as to whether he's found someone new. Then my mind kept going round and round in circles wondering 'what happened' and telling me 'it's for the best, he's not ready for someone like you'. After two hours of moping, I removed both his phone numbers from my phone and blocked him on FB, so I stop checking/torturing myself.

Then, I chose not to work out, headed home and tried to fight those stupid tears on the way. When I got home, I cried endlessly wondering 'why' and remembering how things went. Then, I started picturing him with someone new and my heart shattered instantly. Those stupid tears kept running down my face. I then finally calmed down, telling myself that we don't know what the future holds and I've been through worse.

Yet, I know I will be crying myself to sleep tonight because I don't know what's worse: 1. Having an amazing connection with someone who is blinded by the substance and cannot see how great it is 2. The fact that we both randomly wound up at the same place at the same time halfway through the damn continent after a year of not seeing each other which in my eyes signified we were meant to be 3. Or the fact that someone I instantly fell for the moment I saw them and seemed to reciprocate ended up treated me like utter garbage a year later, therefore shattering all my dreams.

I'm going to stop here, but I cannot handle it.
I'm not gonna say it gets better because I know I didn't want to hear that when I was going through what you're going through now. But know you're not alone, and it's the "going through" that gets you through to the other side. *Hugs*

Good idea, blocking yourself from the social aspects of "peeking in" to see what such-and-such is doing. For me, 5 years later, I still don't peek lol. NO PEEKING!!

Melissa

Old 02-14-2017, 02:56 PM

1,921 posts, read 1,740,395 times
Thank you so much, Melissa

Love your name by the way!

Old 02-14-2017, 03:04 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,369,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiangirl_2015 View Post
I feel fine about my situation. I'm happy. The people who do this bragging on facebook I know for a fact are miserable. They have told me flat out. But she likes to pretend to have the perfect life with her husband and to appear that way to the outside world. And it's constant. I never go onto facebook and mention anything, I don't want flowers at work, I don't need to " brag" about how happy I am. Not saying you are doing that, you like to gush and that's cool. But don't assume everyone who does this on social media is as happy as they say.
You'd see that I make no assumptions if you took notice to this part:

Quote:
While I have known people like this,
I've known people who act this way when it is less than genuine. I was simply saying that just because some people put up a front or facade doesn't mean everyone does.

Old 02-14-2017, 03:37 PM

599 posts, read 693,257 times
It went okay today. The stores are packed with people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships