Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 11:05 AM

1,026 posts, read 1,513,322 times

Advertisements

I always loved Valentine's Day when I was younger, and giving out/getting valentines in school. My birthday is also in February (well before V-Day)...so it was always sort of my favorite month. The colors (pink + red were always my favorite), the hearts...it just seems like it was meant to be my month. lol.

So, in addition to always wanting and looking forward to having a boyfriend someday, I especially always thought about how nice it would be to have someone to spend valentine's and my birthday with...someone that cared enough to remember, anyway, and to give each other gifts, etc....but, that didn't really happen. Aside from my 12-year old boyfriend, which was during the summer, before he moved away and became a jerk...lol. I didn't really date much until a couple years ago, and the last 2 years, both times I started dating someone in the fall (and they actually asked when my birthday was, early on), and after a while I thought, how nice, to have someone to spend holidays, my birthday, and valentine's with...but, both times, things ended shortly before or after my birthday. The second time, I ended things after my birthday came and went, and he didn't seem to pick up on the hint (not that he would have cared anyway), so I figured I'd rather end things myself, then let him ruin Valentine's Day too. This year, I was actually glad I was single and haven't even bothered trying to date in ages, so I can't be disappointed again. I just think it's sad. I don't know if it's because guys are so cheap these days, that they'll dump you rather than have to buy you a present? I always wanted to be able to spend Valentine's and my birthday, and New Year's Eve, with someone special...and now, I don't even bother expecting anything from anyone.

Anyone else like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 11:10 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,706,199 times
Always been single on V-day. It is depressing for sure. I may send my mother an ecard, but nothing else planned. I hate how the day just reminds you you're alone and can't do about it.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:13 AM

^Agreed. Hugs. I used to send e-cards to my friends when I was a teenager, lol. Didn't know they still had those.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:14 AM

951 posts, read 1,139,422 times
OP, Valentine's used to be my favorite as well (from such a fun experience in grade school). I always just loved giving out Valentines to friends. I have changed over the years though. My ex husband wasn't very romantic, and some friends seemed to be annoyed by the gestures I gave them. It wasn't like I was crazy about anyone; Valentines just made me 10x sweeter that day, and giving was how I showed it. Not anymore. Now it's just a day that I wish would pass on by quickly.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhRainess View Post
It wasn't like I was crazy about anyone; Valentines just made me 10x sweeter that day. Not anymore. Now it's just a day that I wish would pass on by quickly.
Lol. I loved getting and giving gifts too. It's sad that we get so jaded and bitter as we get older.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:20 AM

352 posts, read 233,905 times
Go ride that bike.......it's waaaay better than wondering about it all, and you'll be too tired to care when you're done.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:20 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,519,705 times
Not always, but this will be the second year in a row, that I will be. It's not that big of a deal. Gonna do the same thing I did last year and attend a Singles party close to where I live. It was a lot of fun last year, hopefully this year will be the same

Old 02-13-2017, 11:22 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,710,801 times
I just looked forward to the candy and sweets we'd be given on Valentine's Day when I was younger.

I've never had an SO or been on a Valentine's date. It used to bother me, but now I really don't care. It has become another day to me, and I have other things to do. I have a big test tomorrow in Abnormal Psych, so I will more than likely spend tomorrow studying and school work. I don't really care about expensive gifts or sweet cards either. I think people in relationships and in general should express their love all throughout the year in different ways, instead of just one way on one day. I think it's a little overrated. Life has a way of changing your perspective and priorities.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck-67 View Post
Go ride that bike.......it's waaaay better than wondering about it all, and you'll be too tired to care when you're done.
Haha. But, eventually I'll have to stop riding...and then what?

At least I feel a little better knowing that both of those jerks are now/still single (and looked at my profile since), and probably as alone as I am. hahaha.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
I don't really care about expensive gifts or sweet cards either. I think people in relationships and in general should express their love all throughout the year in different ways, instead of just one way on one day. I think it's a little overrated. Life has a way of changing your perspective and priorities.
That's true. I don't either. But I do like gifts, or little things to show you care, because as they say, it's the thought that counts. So something small and inexpensive, like a candle...or anything wrapped up, even in newspaper, would be more meaningful to me. I'd rather have that, than flowers, dinner, or those "traditional" things, because then you can look at it and be reminded of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships