U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 03:04 PM

24,591 posts, read 25,653,468 times
Default Worst Proposal Ever?

I heard this one at a dinner party the other night. Both members of the couple were there, so I know it's true.

The guy got a call from his longstanding girlfriend about his weekend plans. He replied, "Oh, I'm going with my Mom to decorate the family headstone at the cemetery." It's a big deal in the South.

The girlfriend says, "Oh, I'll go with you."

They get out there, plant the flowers, and the guy's mother leaves to go home. Standing out there, he asks her the question, "So, how would you like to be buried with my people?"

They both swear that's how it actually happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 03:28 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,511,987 times
Maybe not the most romantic setting, unless there was a nice sunset, but it could be interpreted as "I want you buried next to my family because I love you that much". Heck, I didnt even want my wife to know my family when we dated because it would be that much harder to dump her. So I can see commitment written all over the guys proposal.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:43 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,431,735 times
That, IMO, is FAR from the worst proposal ever. I'd much rather see something heart-felt like that than the cheesy crap that others do.

But, then again, I've never been much of a "conventional gal" when it comes to this.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:54 PM

1,759 posts, read 1,997,320 times
I seriously think I am abnormal, or I just missed that girly wedding/engagement gene.

Some big huge proposal would have embarrassed me. The way my husband proposed was.. well we talked about moving west and getting married quite a bit... off and on, but nothing super serious. One morning, we were lying in bed together, and I just commented on how happy he seemed. And he told me that he was happy -- happier than he ever had been. Then he said that we should get married... and my response to him, in my morning haze, was "is that a proposal" he said yes.

Old 03-03-2008, 04:42 PM

2,308 posts, read 3,935,854 times
Well, my husband is the sweetest man I know. However, the first time he proposed to me I was at the dinner table. I was sick from the stomach flu, my hair was messed up in a bun after sleeping all day, I had an asparagus hanging out of my mouth... too sick to care about my manners and he says, "We're both adults, why don't we get married?" Huh? "Are you on crack?" I asked. I'm sicker than a dog and he's asking me to marry him? It's not the worst but I've always been amused by it.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:45 PM

620 posts, read 1,182,788 times
I don't think that proposal was bad, definitely not the worst ever. Maybe I'm just strange, but I found it a bit funny and sweet.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:08 PM

11,763 posts, read 17,764,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Samadhi View Post
I don't think that proposal was bad, definitely not the worst ever. Maybe I'm just strange, but I found it a bit funny and sweet.
I was thinking the same thing...

Old 03-03-2008, 11:25 PM

5,072 posts, read 2,947,196 times
Mine was yucky, my ex and I had lived together for about a year, maybe a little longer, and it was kind of expected that he would propose...but not this way. My best friend was over the apartment, we were just hanging out, and I was so pissed because my ex was super-late, didn't call, and I didn't trust him to begin with (huge red flag). So, he gets home, and I went OFF on him (not to get into it too deep, there were a lot more issues than him just being late). So then, in the middle of me having a complete meltdown, he pulls out a ring and proposes to me. It sounds like it has the potential of being romantic, but, believe me, it just felt like a consolation prize.

Needless to say, that didn't work out...to my immense benefit!!

Now, the guy I'm with...well, he hasn't proposed yet, but I don't really feel the necessity, to be honest. We are already living together and in a "partnership" as I see it.
Much, much healthier in so many ways. I don't feel so needy at this stage in my life, like I so desperately need that proposal. I'm confident in our relationship, and happy just to stick with it and keep going, and see where that takes us.

xoxo hollygolightly

Last edited by hollygolightly; 03-03-2008 at 11:49 PM..

Old 03-03-2008, 11:34 PM

8,144 posts, read 3,761,032 times
For me the proposal was just done in conversation...Maybe we should get married? Do you think? yeah Ok, maybe we should...I was 20 and wanted something romantic, not business as usual. The next day we went and got the rings and that was that...Not that I like overly romantic stuff but once in a while it's nice. No honeymoon, nothing, we just got married at cityhall and the mayor shoved the rings on our finger and that was that!

Old 03-04-2008, 01:43 AM

3,951 posts, read 8,245,017 times
In 1969 we were living together and both going to school when we heard about Food Stamps and that college students could qualify.

As we sat in the Food Stamp office filing out the forms, my girlfriend noticed that a married couple got more stamps than two individuals.

"Check box A instead of box B", she said. "Then we will be a married couple and get so many Food Stamps that we will have some to trade for weed."

"Far out", I said.

And we have been married ever since.

Last edited by Fat Freddy; 03-04-2008 at 02:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships