Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 03:12 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,404,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I can agree with Ruth4Truth here... somewhat. "Filling a void in each other's life" may be true, but what's so bad about that? Even if someone rejects the idea of LTR's, they can still benefit from having an opposite-sex friend who plays a similar role, only without relationship obligations for either party. Namely, no requirement to provide physical or emotional intimacy, just enjoying the good times in each other's company. Stuff like exchanging hugs and dancing together, that's very rare between two men (but common between two women), is a nice bonus too.

I had a few female friends in the past, who since moved away for their jobs. And I have a female friend now, who I see pretty regularly. So I'm not just theorizing.
I agree. I have a good male friend and we used to hang out all the time. We'd go on trips together and play pool all the time. We were also each other's wing people. But it seems like the OP really wants more from her friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 03:12 PM

11,393 posts, read 24,436,628 times
So what's wrong with him? Seems if you like someone, you'd want to be with them.

Old 02-22-2017, 03:26 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,869,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_silk View Post
I don't think I ruined a good thing by asking. I just know what I am looking for. Maybe at the beginning he didn't want to scare me off, but later on he also said that he wanted to be friends. It was mutual.

You're right about moving in the direction of being a couple or moving on. I am too afraid to ask, because I like where it is now and don't want to ruin that.

Everything that we are doing now is exactly what I was looking for when we were more physical with each other (kissing and such), but now it's a complete switch haha.
Don't listen to the people who push the "couple or nothing" message. Keep enjoying the fun friendship you have. Me and my female friend dance together a lot, and the dancing feels more than friendly once in a while, but we keep our boundaries. No reason you and your male friend can't have something similar. Maybe you can be cuddle buddies or something, I don't know.

Old 02-22-2017, 04:09 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,905,022 times
If he is still not looking for anything serious then you don't really have a choice but to be a friend

Old 02-22-2017, 05:50 PM

115 posts, read 98,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
If he is still not looking for anything serious then you don't really have a choice but to be a friend
Or a friend with benefits.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:19 PM

9 posts, read 6,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
So what's wrong with him? Seems if you like someone, you'd want to be with them.

Nothing is wrong with him. I would like to be with him, in fact, I think it would be great! But if he isn't on the same page, then it doesn't matter how I feel because it will be one-sided.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbpharoh View Post
Or a friend with benefits.
Ha. No I will not pursue a FWB...that isn't wise nor beneficial because in the end I know I will be hurt. I am going to let it be for now, and if something does become more between us then great! If not, also great. Either way I will be able to move forward in either direction

I am generally a positive spirit and think that if it's suppose to happen it will.

Note: I don't entirely depend on fate and will make some moves here and there, but if it doesn't seem promising then I will know my answer.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Don't listen to the people who push the "couple or nothing" message. Keep enjoying the fun friendship you have. Me and my female friend dance together a lot, and the dancing feels more than friendly once in a while, but we keep our boundaries. No reason you and your male friend can't have something similar. Maybe you can be cuddle buddies or something, I don't know.
Thank you MillennialUrbanist, I appreciate your different perspective and not viewing relationships as binary. I don't think I would pursue a cuddle buddy type thing, but I think what I have now is okay for me and makes sense for where I am at now with relationships of all sorts (i.e. romantic, platonic, non-committal...or whatever else falls into this category).

I am not one to be 100% down for a long-term relationship. The idea seems a little too constricting for me right now.

However, if I do see my friend dating someone else, I will be devastated and hurt. I don't like the idea that something like that can alter my feelings and thoughts so quickly.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:58 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,479,723 times
Except for the dating at the beginning your friendship sounds just like all my male friends (mainly back when we were in college and they were all still single). So it's not unusual. I'm not that close to any of my old college friends anymore because they are all married and do these things with wives now (and I do these things with my boyfriend). But we all still hang out as a group and such.

So I guess what I'm saying is it sounds pretty normal to me. But also realize that more so than with a female friend, a male friend may get more distant when one or both of you meet someone.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:05 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,869,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_silk View Post
Thank you MillennialUrbanist, I appreciate your different perspective and not viewing relationships as binary. I don't think I would pursue a cuddle buddy type thing, but I think what I have now is okay for me and makes sense for where I am at now with relationships of all sorts (i.e. romantic, platonic, non-committal...or whatever else falls into this category).

I am not one to be 100% down for a long-term relationship. The idea seems a little too constricting for me right now.

However, if I do see my friend dating someone else, I will be devastated and hurt. I don't like the idea that something like that can alter my feelings and thoughts so quickly.
Great minds think alike, don't they? I'm not down with long-term relationships, either. I've seen what happens to men who get into one. My friends, for instance. The only way we hang out now is with me as an odd-numbered wheel. Which is becoming increasingly awkward with passing time, because it feels like the couples subtly look down on me. Trying to arrange a guys' night or at least go work out at the gym together falls on deaf ears.

I'd probably be a little miffed if my female friend started dating someone else, but I'd at least try to find it within myself to be happy for her. The fun hugs and the dancing we do might have to stop, though. (More reserved classic dancing would still be OK, since she knows I take lessons.) Which I can understand: it'd be out of fairness to her new boyfriend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post
So I guess what I'm saying is it sounds pretty normal to me. But also realize that more so than with a female friend, a male friend may get more distant when one or both of you meet someone.
Not necessarily. It depends more on how quickly someone is willing to change priorities and loyalty, than on that person's or their friend's gender. Even though my friends kicking me to the curb was a punch in the gut, I intend to stick to my principles and prioritize existing loyalties over new loyalties, with the other parties' actions taken into account. I know not everyone thinks that way, but still.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships