U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 12:02 AM

201 posts, read 322,689 times
Default How do you know if they're the one?

So..

How do you know if they're the one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 04:13 AM

13,039 posts, read 14,836,373 times
You just know.

If you can't bear to be parted from them, if the idea of them dying is just too much to even contemplate. If you would take a bullet for them. If you Love them so much you would sacrifice your own happiness for theirs even if it would destroy you inside.

If you light up when they come into the room, if you stop seeing anyone else ( in a sexual way). If they are all you need to be truly happy. If you would be willing to follow them to the ends of the earth leaving your family, friends behind you just to be with them.

If your Life is better just for knowing them. If they make you a better person.

You just know.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:31 AM

2,355 posts, read 1,492,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
You just know.
I agree with Mooseketter...you just know. In my single days, I really never believed when couples would describe how they just knew they had found a partner for a lifetime...and that when you weren't looking, your other half would find you. But after the first time my husband kissed me, I just knew...this was it. I found him. Hubby and I had been friends for six months before the day we hung out, just as friends, and it came out he liked me...then I realized I liked him...the rest is history.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:48 AM

2,490 posts, read 4,668,610 times
I will second that, if you have to ask the question then the person isn't the one. Hubby and I knew on the first date. We went to dinner and ended up talking about everything under the sun for like 5 hours in the restaurant. (Bet the waitress wasn't happy) Then we had our first kiss and it was fireworks, drum roll, earth moving, you name it, it just was it. He was the one. My other half, what made me complete.

It's something you can't really put into words, you will know it when you feel it.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:25 AM

857 posts, read 3,189,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayersd1 View Post
So..

IMHO, you don't! Sometimes you think you found "The One" because you can't stop thinking about them, you can't wait to see them again, you long to hear their voice, etc, etc. Sometimes it is love, sometimes it is addiction.

I think it is as possible to become addicted to a relationship as it is to become addicted to drugs or alcohol. If you feel like you can't live without them that is bad. If you feel like you can live without them but you can live a more content life with them then that is a healthier relationship.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:53 AM

52 posts, read 136,942 times
And then You wake up and Realize you were WRONG
Quote:
You just know.

If you can't bear to be parted from them, if the idea of them dying is just too much to even contemplate. If you would take a bullet for them. If you Love them so much you would sacrifice your own happiness for theirs even if it would destroy you inside.

If you light up when they come into the room, if you stop seeing anyone else ( in a sexual way). If they are all you need to be truly happy. If you would be willing to follow them to the ends of the earth leaving your family, friends behind you just to be with them.

You just know.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:14 AM

13,167 posts, read 11,763,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayersd1 View Post
So..

if you have to ask, then, they are not...

Old 03-04-2008, 10:19 AM

2,885 posts, read 140,054 times
Quote:
You just know.

You just know.
Very well said, Moose. Heck, this is the way I feel about my granddaughter, though I know what the poster meant

Old 03-04-2008, 10:39 AM

2,406 posts, read 4,645,351 times
There is no such thing as "the one".

There are many people out there for us. Most people have felt they have found "the one" more than once in their lives. What does that say? That they were wrong then but right now?

There is someone there for us at different stages of our lives. Maybe that someone will last during several stages, or more or less. That does not make them more important.

What about the widow who spends 40 years married to her beloved husband only to have him pass away. She then meets someone else in her 70's. Who is really the one?

Appreciate what you have without worrying about the labels and other issues. Your heart has room for many.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:41 AM

2,885 posts, read 140,054 times
There can be several "the ones" but at different times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships