Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 02:27 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
"promised a night together" is an odd phrasing. More common would be just "cancelled a date".

I suspect this is not the first time.
That's what I was thinking too- that perhaps it's happened before, and the "promise" came as a result of having had to cancel plans in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 02:41 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Overall, people who opt to date others with kids needs to be realistic that parenting demands that crop up wI'll typically trump date night.

Likewise, parents who date need to be realistic that there are definitely people who will not be good dating prospects, because not being first priority doesn't sit well with them. And for some, they don't realize it until in a situation that teaches them that.

Old 03-01-2017, 03:22 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,144 times
I don't date single dads, so I have no dog in this fight, but...

If a woman is going to date a single dad, she has to expect that the child's needs are going to take precedence over the parent's dating life. That is the way that the should be. When my parents divorced, they both made it clear to me that their need to date was more important than I was. It sucked and I would never want to see a child go through that.

Old 03-01-2017, 04:30 PM

19,711 posts, read 20,240,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
You have a lot of growing up to do.

The first time my friend (from my previous post) and I had a falling out (when I was younger and as self-centered as you seemed to be) was because he and I had plans to get together on a certain night at a certain time. I waited, and waited, and he never showed up, never called. I was upset with him for bailing, and left him a voice mail telling him so. He didn't speak to me for 3 months, after calling me back and telling me that he had a family member who needed to go to the ER (not one of his kids, but his mother, who was 84 at the time and had a heart condition). If it had been one of his kids he would have been just as harsh with me, though, because family comes first with him, before any relationship, and his mother, who passed a year ago March 13 at age 94, overrode everyone else in his life.
Nice try, but your communication problem with that man has nothing to do with me.

Old 03-01-2017, 04:40 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,950,852 times
You know ladies... The OP never came back but you all keep carrying on about his situation.

I think we all need to know how many dates he has rescheduled? What kind of problem was his teenage daughter having? Was it a serious health situation or was she just playing the Dad to ditch his date?

Lotsa unanswered questions here.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:04 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,950,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Nice try, but your communication problem with that man has nothing to do with me.
I was responding to your comment about promises being broken. A man's promise to be a good father to his child (or to be there for his elderly mother if he is her POA which my friend was for his) far outweighs a promise made to a woman he is merely dating for a night together if something comes up to preclude that.

Seriously, if you need this explained to you....

Old 03-01-2017, 05:11 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,030,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
I think we all need to know how many dates he has rescheduled? What kind of problem was his teenage daughter having? Was it a serious health situation or was she just playing the Dad to ditch his date?

Lotsa unanswered questions here.
^^ This.

There is never just one answer to cover all situations.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:22 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,707,699 times
I would never have dated a single Dad to begin with. I only dated men without kids, because I didn't want those kinds of complications.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:27 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pperalta9 View Post
Ladies: If you were dating a single dad who is raising his teenage daughter and he promised you a night together with him but then he gets a call that his daughter is going through a difficult time and she needs him for the night how would it make you feel if he rescheduled with you because he needed to be there for his daughter?
So you are telling us that you found a guy who is a great dad.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:27 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,865,153 times
Last year I was seeing a single dad of 4 boys aged 10 through 17. Something always came up! I expected a guy with that much going on to have to be good at planning.
One night he called and asked if I would drive, he had to let 2 of his sons use the vehicles, no way around it. I didn't mind. Then he called back and asked if we could hang around his house, he had to be home by midnight bc the older one was having a problem making his curfew. I asked if he wanted to reschedule? He said "no, but this is the life I have right now."
Best date ever: I drove to his house and when I got there he had a big fire going in the backyard, steaks on the grill, and the picnic table set. The littlest one was home with a friend, but it didn't matter, he was very well mannered and came out to say good night.
If you're going to get involved with someone who has kids, you'll have to picture what your life would be like with them. If it's inconvenient and disappointing, then don't even start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships