Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 11:53 AM

14 posts, read 6,959 times

Advertisements

So I dated my boyfriend for 4 years and I broke up with him over this past summer. That is the dumbest thing I have ever done and I highly regret it now. I had planned for us to get back together when I started College this past fall but we were just friends. We still talked 24/7 up until the end of January.It has now been a little over a month of no contact and I was thinking about texting him " What is the name of the donut shop you wanted to take me too?" I think that is a text that would make him remember us and reply. He quit talking to me in January because he started hanging out with this other girl at school(he's a senior in high school this year). She will possibly be going to Alaska for college and He is coming where I go in SC. I feel like there's no way they would work out being that long distance, plus the fact of starting the relationship 4 months before graduation.They should know and accept that fact too right? She seems to be trying to stay more friendly with him, and he seems to be trying to get more deep with her(that's how me and him were together, we got very deep with each other and lovey. Maybe it's true that your first love sets the standards?). Should I text him what I said above? Do I have any chance with him? I truly truly believe he is my soulmate and the ''one''. He did tell be a few months ago that he ''was considering another relationship with me but just wasn't sure, and that we should try seeing other people first at least for now.'' I asked him my chances with him when he starts college where I am and he said a 7/10 or 70% chance. Is that a good chance? I wish it were higher but I'll take it. Anyways, do I have a chance? What should I do to get him back? I have been really focusing on myself and bettering myself the last month. For anyone wondering why we broke up, it was because I wasn't allowed to date until I graduated high school and my parents forbade me to be with this guy. I broke up the day before graduation because I was afraid. So that is why I decided we'd get back in the fall. But I didn't tell him this plan until the beginning of January. He told me he wished I had told him that from the start and he would have understood. We had promise rings and constantly talked about our future together and getting married and having children. We were pretty mature for our ages. He is 18 and I just turned 20.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 11:57 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryangel707 View Post
So I dated my boyfriend for 4 years and I broke up with him over this past summer. That is the dumbest thing I have ever done and I highly regret it now. I had planned for us to get back together when I started College this past fall but we were just friends. We still talked 24/7 up until the end of January.It has now been a little over a month of no contact and I was thinking about texting him " What is the name of the donut shop you wanted to take me too?" I think that is a text that would make him remember us and reply. He quit talking to me in January because he started hanging out with this other girl at school(he's a senior in high school this year). She will possibly be going to Alaska for college and He is coming where I go in SC. I feel like there's no way they would work out being that long distance, plus the fact of starting the relationship 4 months before graduation.They should know and accept that fact too right? She seems to be trying to stay more friendly with him, and he seems to be trying to get more deep with her(that's how me and him were together, we got very deep with each other and lovey. Maybe it's true that your first love sets the standards?). Should I text him what I said above? Do I have any chance with him? I truly truly believe he is my soulmate and the ''one''. He did tell be a few months ago that he ''was considering another relationship with me but just wasn't sure, and that we should try seeing other people first at least for now.'' I asked him my chances with him when he starts college where I am and he said a 7/10 or 70% chance. Is that a good chance? I wish it were higher but I'll take it. Anyways, do I have a chance? What should I do to get him back? I have been really focusing on myself and bettering myself the last month. For anyone wondering why we broke up, it was because I wasn't allowed to date until I graduated high school and my parents forbade me to be with this guy. I broke up the day before graduation because I was afraid. So that is why I decided we'd get back in the fall. But I didn't tell him this plan until the beginning of January. He told me he wished I had told him that from the start and he would have understood. We had promise rings and constantly talked about our future together and getting married and having children. We were pretty mature for our ages. He is 18 and I just turned 20.
Trust me when I tell you that you should wait.

Go to college, live your life, and see what there is to experience. I KNOW it feels like love right now, but I promise you that there is a whole lot of "life" out there to live. You have only experienced a tiny little bit of it. He may or may not be your "soulmate," but you don't have to decide that right now.

Besides, the fact that they are both trying to be with each other should tell you something.

DO NOT try to contact him. Don't worry about the insulting "7/10 chance" thing. You are just starting out and don't need to tie yourself to this person who may or may not know what the heck he is doing himself.

Old 03-04-2017, 12:00 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Your soulmate is rarely the first person you go out with...it just feels like it because you have absolutely nothing else to compare it to. Go to college and date....lots of different guys. Then see if you still think he's your soulmate. I'm sure facebook or whatever will still be around for the two of you to find each other if you're mutually agreeable.

Old 03-04-2017, 12:01 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,256,251 times
You broke up with him and hid the reason why rather than talking it out--that's not maturity there. He's interested in someone else now, and regardless of whether it ends up being short-term or not, he deserves a chance to see if it will work with her without you interfering from the sidelines.

Let him be and move on.

Old 03-04-2017, 12:04 PM

Since he will be coming to where I go to college and we will very likely have classes together, doesn't that give me a high chance of getting him back? Especially since she is probably going as far as you can go across the country and he already said things might be different between me and him when he starts college(In a good way). Is he just wanting to experience other people now? It's just a somewhat confusing situation. I am going to continue bettering myself. I have started to do weight training to tone up my body and I have started some other things as well. Hopefully when he see's me again, probably in the fall, he'll fall for me again. I'm trying to just let him and her take the natural pace, which I do believe, and hope, won't last long because of graduation coming up in just 2 months.

Old 03-04-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Since he will be coming to where I go to college and we will very likely have classes together, doesn't that give me a high chance of getting him back? Especially since she is probably going as far as you can go across the country and he already said things might be different between me and him when he starts college(In a good way). Is he just wanting to experience other people now? It's just a somewhat confusing situation. I am going to continue bettering myself. I have started to do weight training to tone up my body and I have started some other things as well. Hopefully when he see's me again, probably in the fall, he'll fall for me again. I'm trying to just let him and her take the natural pace, which I do believe, and hope, won't last long because of graduation coming up in just 2 months.
What I am trying to get across to you is that you don't necessarily need to be TRYING to get him back.

That shouldn't be your top concern. You are looking at this situation all wrong.

You have no idea how many other guys you are going to meet when you get there. To assume that you have changes you need to make in order to "make this guy choose you" is a harmful thought process. Love is not about convincing someone to pick you. You want someone who wants you.

Better yourself because YOU want to, not because you think it will make him pick you. Make yourself stop thinking about him and let yourself see the other people around you who are worth knowing.

Old 03-04-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
What I am trying to get across to you is that you don't necessarily need to be TRYING to get him back.

That shouldn't be your top concern. You are looking at this situation all wrong.

You have no idea how many other guys you are going to meet when you get there. To assume that you have changes you need to make in order to "make this guy choose you" is a harmful thought process. Love is not about convincing someone to pick you. You want someone who wants you.

Better yourself because YOU want to, not because you think it will make him pick you. Make yourself stop thinking about him and let yourself see the other people around you who are worth knowing.
So basically it's the ''if you love someone let them go and if its meant to be they will return thing''?

Old 03-04-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
So basically it's the ''if you love someone let them go and if its meant to be they will return thing''?
Basically.

The age you are now is a time of TONS of emotional changes. Try very hard to let yourself develop in an emotionally healthy way with a good outlook about relationships.

Tying your self-worth to one guy is not healthy. Let yourself be single and focus on other things that you will be facing this fall: living on your own, your major, your roommate, etc.

Old 03-04-2017, 12:30 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
Go get an education so you can make a living in this tough world. Walk towards the future and things that are good for you. Stop wasting time chasing the past.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:09 AM

Is it possible that this new relationship could be a rebound since me and him still talked 24/7 and still sent sexy messages even after breaking up. Then he all of a sudden went from saying I still love you and want another relationship to I met this girl we should part ways and catch up at college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships