Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 12:08 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,069 times

Advertisements

I keep seeing the issue about payment coming up. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I've never been to or worked at a restaurant that would charge you for a meal that you sent back. The one exceptIon might be Chinese or other ethnic run eateries that have a different culture. Restaurants operate under "the customer is always right". Of course it's not always true, but establishments would rather eat the cost of one meal then lose repeat business. My managers would usually visit any table that had a send back just to make sure the patrons were satisfied and knew their complaint mattered. It's called the service industry for a reason. You get a meal but a little lip service goes a long way in that environment.

All this she could of offered to pay or he should of just ate the cost of the second meal is moot because there would not be a charge for the returned meal.

After reading the OP' s further explanations. I'm getting the idea that by the time you knew she was unhappy it was probably beyond the practical time for her to reorder and still be able to eat your meals together. So I can understand your hesitancy to push the replacement issue. Wether the OP is chivalrous or not ,the onus was on the date to fix the situation. I wouldn't of been too happy about paying for an uneaten meal myself. She was rude to you as the host and I can't imagine acting that high maintenance on a date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 12:09 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I missed the part where she disliked everything.

Still, you can order fries - who doesn't like fries?

If she knew in advance she should have offered an alternative.

I'm not sure why the communication is so non-existent here. For the most part, I feel it falls on her.
A lot of women don't. Fattening. Grease and starch. Mmmm, yummy.

Yes, as previously noted, IF she knew in advance, she should have spoken up. She doesn't seem to be assertive or communicative in general. Still, when faced with a date like that, the host should rise to the occasion and make an effort to see that the guest is having a good time, IMO. Though it can be hard to muster the energy for that, if someone's being very passive, or a wet blanket.

Probably there's no right answer to this. The date bombed, it happens.

Old 03-07-2017, 12:16 PM

2,233 posts, read 2,403,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
I keep seeing the issue about payment coming up. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I've never been to or worked at a restaurant that would charge you for a meal that you sent back. The one exceptIon might be Chinese or other ethnic run eateries that have a different culture. Restaurants operate under "the customer is always right". Of course it's not always true, but establishments would rather eat the cost of one meal then lose repeat business. My managers would usually visit any table that had a send back just to make sure the patrons were satisfied and knew their complaint mattered. It's called the service industry for a reason. You get a meal but a little lip service goes a long way in that environment.

All this she could of offered to pay or he should of just ate the cost of the second meal is moot because there would not be a charge for the returned meal.

After reading the OP' s further explanations. I'm getting the idea that by the time you knew she was unhappy it was probably beyond the practical time for her to reorder and still be able to eat your meals together. So I can understand your hesitancy to push the replacement issue. Wether the OP is chivalrous or not ,the onus was on the date to fix the situation. I wouldn't of been too happy about paying for an uneaten meal myself. She was rude to you as the host and I can't imagine acting that high maintenance on a date.
This is the truth. Customers at restaurants send back food all the time. It's just food... Smart restaurant owners would never make a customer pay for a meal he sent back...that's just bad business.

Old 03-07-2017, 12:20 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
While it's not common for me to send back food, I just did over the weekend. Just took it up to the counter and told them it was inedible. It was genuinely horrible, and my husband came right up once he tried his. No rudeness. The gave us our money back, and gave us a free 2nd order for us both.

When I order a burger I am very clear on what comes on it, and whether I need to change any of those items.

I think Ruth is right, the whole date was just a bust.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-07-2017, 12:22 PM

6,558 posts, read 8,389,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
The server did ask and she said all was fine It wasn't until much later that I discovered that she had not made any progress on her food. She did not even mention what was wrong until I started probing into why she isn't eating her food and even then she did not give any clear explanations if she merely did not care for the food and she would eat it anyway or if she could not eat it.
Sounds like she was nervous, and then embarrassed by her mistake.

She sounds horrible, OP. You dodged a bullet there! {sarcasm}

Old 03-07-2017, 12:22 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,998,989 times
From the title of this thread, I thought it was going to be about your date eating half her meal and you wondering if it would be tacky to eat the rest for her. Guess I've been here too long.

In your case, I would have just sent it back and asked for the same thing without the part she didn't like. Easy fix.

Old 03-07-2017, 12:32 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
From the title of this thread, I thought it was going to be about your date eating half her meal and you wondering if it would be tacky to eat the rest for her.
Haha that's what I thought too.

Old 03-07-2017, 01:16 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:

In your case, I would have just sent it back and asked for the same thing without the part she didn't like. Easy fix.
It takes 7 pages for someone to think of this no-brainer. OP, remember this, in case it ever happens again.

Old 03-07-2017, 02:33 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,346,925 times
Quote:
From the title of this thread, I thought it was going to be about your date eating half her meal and you wondering if it would be tacky to eat the rest for her. Guess I've been here too long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It takes 7 pages for someone to think of this no-brainer. OP, remember this, in case it ever happens again.
Agreed. I think it would be appropriate for the OP to make the request, also.

Only thing I'd add is that I'm not sure this means the date is a picky eater. I'm a picky eater, and I always make sure what's on a sandwich I'm ordering and if I have any doubt I ask for it on the side. I don't think I've been surprised since 1988.

Old 03-07-2017, 02:43 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
She has the same
She could have done a bunch of stuff to fix the situation.
It's possible that she didn't see it as a situation to be fixed, but more as "Eh, well, picked a dud, it happens." She may or may not have seen it as a big deal. Per the OP, she didn't complain. Maybe it was NBD.

However, the fact that it was apparently a HUGE deal to the poster indicates that it probably just wasn't a good date. If he'd found her awesome, I doubt it would have been a big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships