Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 06:35 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,781,536 times

Advertisements

went on a date recently where my date ordered something, she did not like one of the ingredients (sundried tomato paste on a gourmet burger) in the dish so she did not eat it. It was wasted and of course she went without eating dinner. I did not know what exactly to do, has never happened to me before. I could've asked the restaurant to take it back but that would not be fair to the restaurant... after all it wasn't their fault.

Could've offered to order something else but I did not feel like paying twice for her meal when the first one was wasted. I just did nothing in this case although I did feel bad that she was probably hungry. Personally I felt she was just too picky and if she was then she should've asked the waitress beforehand to make sure that ingredient was not in her dish. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 06:38 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
Tough call,if I didn't like the taste I would probably ask the waitress if I could order something else and pay for it myself.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:51 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,028,419 times
If she didn't like it ,it's her responsibility to talk to the staff and order something else. If she only complained to you and expected you to fix her problem, trust me it won't be the last. In that respect you dodged a bullet. Servers take back things all the time. It's not personal or really a problem unless a person has a pattern of never Being satisfied. I've worked as a server for years so I'm pretty savvy about ordering correctly with reasonable expectations. However if I order a $25 stieak medium and it comes out well then it's going back . The fact that she chose to not eat, complain to the one person who really can't do anything plus go without dinner all sounds incredibly immature.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:53 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times
If this was someone you really really liked, I would have just sucked it up and have her order something else. You could have asked for a doggie bag to take it with you. Your dog or cat probably wouldn't have mind it so much. I wouldn't have let the poor girl sit there and watch me eat, no way I could have done that. If this was a habit of hers, then I could understand a little better. But, if this was a first time thing, I would have been more understanding.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:11 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,781,536 times
I occasionally order stuff I don't like too much.. I do not waste it, I just eat it. I asked her if she could eat just the patty and take the paste off but she said no, it's integrated. Asked if she wanted to take it to go, again no. I do not know why she could not just wipe the paste off her burger and eat the rest.. that is what I would have done. Although she did not complain.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:12 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,028,419 times
Seriously it's hard to believe between two adults that neither had the social skills to rectify this very common situation. If I was with someone who I knew was unhappy about their meal and was too shy or whatever reason or scared to approach the server( you know the person whose job it is to handle requests during your meal) I'd take the initiative to fix the problem . This ain't rocket science. Where are you people eating that your too intimidated to ask for something else? Your not getting charged for something you send back and though inconvenient it's better then how this date turned out.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:19 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Well, she could have scraped it off a patty. But, I guess she didn't think that would be lady like.

Hard call. If she ordered her own meal, it was on her.

Maybe net time, ask your date....Would you like me to have the kitchen take it back?

Then it is placed in their lap, and you don't look like you don't care.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:25 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I occasionally order stuff I don't like too much.. I do not waste it, I just eat it. I asked her if she could eat just the patty and take the paste off but she said no, it's integrated. Asked if she wanted to take it to go, again no. I do not know why she could not just wipe the paste off her burger and eat the rest.. that is what I would have done. Although she did not complain.
When it comes to something like that, I believe many women are different than guys about things like that. A guy probably would do just that, wipe the past off and eat it, but I just don't see many women sitting in a restaurant doing something like that. They would just have it taken back or order something else before doing all of that. Your dining experience shouldn't be about you sitting at a table taking things off your food you don't like.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:26 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,675,872 times
I'd encourage them to order something else, I would of that if I got I dish I did not like. Sounds like she did not want to rock the boat or annoy the server, so decided to not get anything.

You should not have paid for a meal that was not consumed, it should have been returned and so,e thing else ordered. That was a mistake on the part of both you. Why pay for meal that was not consumed, unless she ate most of if?

Old 03-06-2017, 07:27 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I could've asked the restaurant to take it back but that would not be fair to the restaurant... after all it wasn't their fault.
It really sounds like the OP had no idea what to do in this situation because he'd never encountered it before.

The restaurant won't charge you for an entree you don't like, OP. It's not about "being fair" to the restaurant; it happens. People don't always know how something will taste until they get it, and they want you to have a good experience.

SO next time step up and advocate for your date. Have her choose something else; just tell the server, "It wasn't what she expected."

Sure, she could have taken this on, but now you know. Don't just let your date go hungry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships