Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 06:54 PM

926 posts, read 669,967 times

Advertisements

In the past three LTRs I've had, I've noticed red flags in each of them early on in the relationship. Because I know that no one is perfect (I know I certainly am not), I always gave each guy a chance to demonstrate to me what kind of person he truly was. I just thought that perhaps their idiosyncrasy or "red flag(s)" might be something that would go away or something that I would be willing to live with.

But now I see that - from now on - if I see ANY red flag or character dysfunction from any guy I date in the future, I'm just going to end it right then and there. Because EVERY TIME I've given a guy a chance to be a good person and EVERY TIME I have given him the benefit of the doubt, it ALWAYS turned out that they have purposefully hurt me without having a shred of remorse or compassion.

I will NO LONGER continue dating ANY guy that I determine to be emotionally damaged or exhibiting any or multiple red flags. I am done having my heart shredded...I am done being taken advantage of and taken for granted...I am also done with allowing any guy to talk me into thinking that he will do or say "whatever" he says he will do to make a future relationship viable and happy. My current experience with this severely emotionally damaged (and seemingly inexperienced with women), unmotivated, overweight and emotionally/physically/sexually distant diabetic man has sealed this declaration for me.

I appreciate anyone who has taken the time to read my post. I needed to get this out...and feel that this is therapeutic for me to get my emotions and heartache out.

What I'd like to know from any of you fine people is if you've ever noticed ANY red flags or personality defects from a person you were dating but continued to date them anyway and entered into a relationship with them because you had a sliver of hope that it would somehow work out?

I feel as though I am an oddity, as well as feeling extremely FOOLISH for making myself emotionally, physically and spiritually vulnerable to 3 guys in total that have crushed my heart and that seem to go on with their lives without feeling any remorse, guilt or even just feeling bad for lying and leading me on? I'm so sorry if I'm boring anyone with this. I'm in tears right now...because I know - in my heart of hearts - that he will NOT make ANY effort to improve his behaviour (or his mindset) towards me. And, this is why:

After carefully reviewing our in-depth discussion last Saturday, I remember him saying that he wondered why "I still hung around this long, and how most other women would be long gone by now..." AND he also said that with the fact how he saw me sad all the time and how he was "too scared" to be intimate with me and KNEW that he wasn't giving me what he KNEW I needed, that he was "waiting for me to PUT A STAKE THROUGH IT (our relationship)"... I think he basically gave me his honest answer on how he feels about this "relationship"...

He is currently waiting for ME to END this relationship! ...

Last edited by AprilFlowers17; 03-07-2017 at 07:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 07:02 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,246,786 times
I know you feel bad right now, but cutting the cord on a dying or dead relationship, is probably the best thing you can do for yourself at this point.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:09 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,650,303 times
at least you are working on strengthening your self now. better late than never. i will caution you however to not go overboard with this effort, as you may be cutting the cord on someone you should have in your life.

just remember it is a balancing act that we all take on with relationships.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:10 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,534,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilFlowers17 View Post
In the past three LTRs I've had, I've noticed red flags in each of them early on in the relationship. Because I know that no one is perfect (I know I certainly am not), I always gave each guy a chance to demonstrate to me what kind of person he truly was. I just thought that perhaps their idiosyncrasy or "red flag(s)" might be something that would go away or something that I would be willing to live with.

But now I see that - from now on - if I see ANY red flag or character dysfunction from any guy I date in the future, I'm just going to end it right then and there. Because EVERY TIME I've given a guy a chance to be a good person and EVERY TIME I have given him the benefit of the doubt, it ALWAYS turned out that they have purposefully hurt me without having a shred of remorse or compassion.

I will NO LONGER continue dating ANY guy that I determine to be emotionally damaged or exhibiting any or multiple red flags. I am done having my heart shredded...I am done being taken advantage of and taken for granted...I am also done with allowing any guy to talk me into thinking that he will do or say "whatever" he says he will do to make a future relationship viable and happy. My current experience with this severely emotionally damaged (and seemingly inexperienced with women), unmotivated, overweight and emotionally/physically/sexually distant diabetic man has sealed this declaration for me.

I appreciate anyone who has taken the time to read my post. I needed to get this out...and feel that this is therapeutic for me to get my emotions and heartache out.

What I'd like to know from any of you fine people is if you've ever noticed ANY red flags or personality defects from a person you were dating but continued to date them anyway and entered into a relationship with them because you had a sliver of hope that it would somehow work out?

I feel as though I am an oddity, as well as feeling extremely FOOLISH for making myself emotionally, physically and spiritually vulnerable to 3 guys in total that have crushed my heart and that seem to go on with their lives without feeling any remorse, guilt or even just feeling bad for lying and leading me on? I'm so sorry if I'm boring anyone with this. I'm in tears right now...because I know - in my heart of hearts - that he will NOT make ANY effort to improve his behaviour (or his mindset) towards me. And, this is why:

After carefully reviewing our in-depth discussion last Saturday, I remember him saying that he wondered why "I still hung around this long, and how most other women would be long gone by now..." AND he also said that with the fact how he saw me sad all the time and how he was "too scared" to be intimate with me and KNEW that he wasn't giving me what he KNEW I needed, that he was "waiting for me to PUT A STAKE THROUGH IT (our relationship)"... I think he basically gave me his honest answer on how he feels about this "relationship"...

He is currently waiting for ME to END this relationship! ...
I don't know the guy, but if he's such a good person like you said that he is, I doubt that he purposefully tried to hurt you or lead you on. He has problems that have nothing to do with you and you're taking it personally.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:12 PM

8,917 posts, read 7,669,870 times
Well at least you KNOW why you've gotten into those situations and have self awareness.

Now all that is left, is to act on it.

Allow yourself to heal, reflect, and incorporate what you've learned in future.

Sorry you're going through this, but it will get better.

As for the guy, I don't think he didn't care about you or the relationship. He's had issues long before he met you, so don't beat yourself up too much.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:35 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,430,432 times
You asked if we'd ever entered into a relationship even though we saw red flags.

My answer is way too many times! You are SO not alone in this. It took me until I was 30 to learn that it wasn't a real good idea to say the least.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:39 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,006,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilFlowers17 View Post
...from now on - if I see ANY red flag or character dysfunction from any guy I date in the future, I'm just going to end it right then and there.

Agree 100%. Always trust your intuition. Always believe what others are showing themselves to be.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:17 PM

19,603 posts, read 20,054,858 times
Omg, of course I've been there done that!

Don't let him fool you into feeling sorry for him!

Imagine how long he was willing to let you sit there and rot in that pseudo-relationship ,, good riddance!

Old 03-07-2017, 09:23 PM

926 posts, read 669,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
at least you are working on strengthening your self now. better late than never. i will caution you however to not go overboard with this effort, as you may be cutting the cord on someone you should have in your life.
just remember it is a balancing act that we all take on with relationships.
Yes, I was thinking about that - I don't want to go overboard with regard to kicking someone to the curb just because they exhibit a "red flag", emotional damage or a personality dysfunction - but at the same time, I NEVER *ever* want to go through this EVER again. So, at this point, it would almost be worth living alone than trusting another guy to date if he exhibits ANY sign of emotional dysfunction or any serious character flaws or red flags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I don't know the guy, but if he's such a good person like you said that he is, I doubt that he purposefully tried to hurt you or lead you on. He has problems that have nothing to do with you and you're taking it personally.
Well, maybe he didn't intend on hurting me intentionally at first...but, I DO know that he DID lead me on for 8 months and was waiting for me to "put a stake through" our relationsip because he TOLD me this last weekend. So yeah, I took this personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
Well at least you KNOW why you've gotten into those situations and have self awareness.
Now all that is left, is to act on it. Allow yourself to heal, reflect, and incorporate what you've learned in future. Sorry you're going through this, but it will get better.
As for the guy, I don't think he didn't care about you or the relationship. He's had issues long before he met you, so don't beat yourself up too much.
Thank you for your post Auraliea...your suggestion is exactly what I am currently doing. As for your last two sentences, I have also come to that conclusion. I'm trying not to beat myself up over it, but I still feel like a fool for taking a chance on him...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
You asked if we'd ever entered into a relationship even though we saw red flags.
My answer is way too many times! You are SO not alone in this. It took me until I was 30 to learn that it wasn't a real good idea to say the least.
Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone in this, Missy. But, trust me, I have learned my lesson.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:25 PM

1,265 posts, read 965,034 times
Ive ran into relationships that had so many red flags, I thought they were a bullfighter...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships