Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 11:36 AM

8,170 posts, read 5,998,488 times

Advertisements

Is it possible that someone could have a personality that makes them unlovable? I specifically mean someone that is happy with the way that they are and not looking to change themselves. But in every relationship, they are being asked to change?

Wouldn't it make sense that someone would love this person for who they are?

I know for me, they all dislike something about me. But this is a struggle because I am happy with me and have no desire to pretend to be someone else, just to be in a relationship. I am not good at change and jumping through hoops.

I probably should just quit the soul searching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 11:42 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,583,228 times
I tend to think there is someone for everyone, but there are people with personality disorders like BPD who definitely struggle. They think they are perfectly normal but their patterns of behaviour push people away.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:45 AM

29,623 posts, read 34,077,569 times
Nobody should have to change who they are in order to be in a relationship, but if you're expecting that you never have to do anything differently or consider the other person's feelings or preferences, then that's unrealistic. It's not jumping through hoops, it's compromise and respect.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Nobody should have to change who they are in order to be in a relationship, but if you're expecting that you never have to do anything differently or consider the other person's feelings or preferences, then that's unrealistic. It's not jumping through hoops, it's compromise and respect.
Such as?

Old 03-08-2017, 12:03 PM

26,677 posts, read 41,509,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Is it possible that someone could have a personality that makes them unlovable? I specifically mean someone that is happy with the way that they are and not looking to change themselves. But in every relationship, they are being asked to change?

I know for me, they all dislike something about me. But this is a struggle because I am happy with me and have no desire to pretend to be someone else, just to be in a relationship. I am not good at change and jumping through hoops.

I can imagine people saying a lot of things about my personality. Lovable is probably not one of them. Angry, closed off, disinterested, probably. But this is who I am and I have to be true to what I know.

Old 03-08-2017, 12:22 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,870,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post

Well, you could be opinionated for example.

It wouldn't kill you to just be happy for the person who just bought a mustard colored cube car and keep OUR opinions to ourselves.

Old 03-08-2017, 12:22 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,119,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Nobody should have to change who they are in order to be in a relationship, but if you're expecting that you never have to do anything differently or consider the other person's feelings or preferences, then that's unrealistic.
It is not just unrealistic. It is selfish. And uncaring.

Old 03-08-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Angry, closed off, disinterested, probably.
I could understand one wanting to avoid someone that has these feelings. No one wants a debbie downer.

But for me, I am generally happy-go-lucky, willing to go anywhere, low maintenance, kind, giving... I am open, and honest, and do not sugar coat anything. I will literally stop what I am doing to help anyone.

Almost a year ago I stopped being the one to initiate phone calls to friends, planning events and extending invitations. I just wanted to see who would seek me out. What I learned is I no longer need very many minutes on my phone.

Old 03-08-2017, 12:27 PM

16,233 posts, read 27,268,699 times
Try to find someone with a similar disposition to your own, that's half the battle in finding a good match.

There is a difference between accommodating and full-on changing. If for instance, a guy wanted me to wear a particular kind of outfit for a specific event, I'd accommodate. If he wanted me to burn my wardrobe and replace it with his idea of suitable attire, that is the kind of 'change' where I draw the line.

I do believe there is potentially someone for everyone out there, the determining factor is how realistically we evaluate ourselves and how openmindedly we perceive others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Old 03-08-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
Well, you could be opinionated for example.

It wouldn't kill you to just be happy for the person who just bought a mustard colored cube car and keep OUR opinions to ourselves.
That one I have no problems keeping my opinion to myself. Now if you tell me you are $80k in credit card debt and can't pay your bills, I will say "why are you still spending money on x, y and z?" I am not a sugar coater. But I do not offer my opinion unless you ask.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships