Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 07:03 PM

18 posts, read 29,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gue View Post
So which one are you? & your Dr Rogge sucks for sending you out into the internet & putting up your real names on his website.

Edited post: So that I would only use initials of the students. But another question is why does your professor only use women graduate students to do HIS work which he will then publish under his own name? His 4 most recent publications are his graduate students work.

Current and Recent Graduate Students

E B - Examining the associations between partner social support and relationship change over time

K C - Exploring how mindfulness is associated with relationship processes and outcomes

J F - Examining how marriages might differ by neighborhood, understanding marriages from the inner city to the suburbs

S-H L - Developing implicit measures of marital satisfaction as an alternative to self-report

A R - Examining the dimensions of psychological aggression and their associations with change
relationships over time

M S - Exploring the relationships between adult attachment styles and romantic relationship quality and stability over time
Hi Gue,

This is Dr. Rogge. I understand from your post that you have some concerns about the study that we are posting on city-data.com.

First, thank you for your interest in our work. You are right, I currently have a lab of primarily female collaborators. This is primarily because psychology is a field heavily populated with women. When selecting graduate students, I simply try to select the strongest candidates - regardless of their gender. However, as over 90% of the applicants to my lab happen to be women, it has been the case that I have ended up accepting women to work with me.

I would also like to explain how collaboration works in our field. Research in psychology is much like an apprenticeship. I work very closely with each of my graduate students, designing studies, implementing them, training them in advanced statistical techniques and helping them with each and every step of the joint projects we undertake together. These projects are truly joint ventures and will ultimately become part of the graduate students' dissertations in addition to becoming joint papers.

The authorship that you were commenting on as listed on our website merely reflects the joint nature of this partnership. I can assure you that this arrangement is not only commonplace, but it is a mutually beneficial arrangement and ensures that the students get fair credit for the work that they have invested (as do I).

I would also like to assure you that I put my graduate students' names on our website with their consent. As they prepare for their own academic careers, it is very helpful for researchers at other universities to be able to quickly find the basic information that I have posted for each of them. Again, this is pretty common place in academia and is being done to help them, not to put them in harms way.

I hope this clears up your concerns. Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any other questions.

Sincerely,
Ron Rogge, Ph.D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 07:05 PM

18 posts, read 29,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
I did it, and didn't find it too annoying. Actually made me think a few times. Especially on how I communicate with my DH. I definitely fight dirtier than he does - I'm not what I would consider bad, but I will occassionally bring up stuff that happened in the past and really isn't relevant any more, and I am quicker to raise my voice and get snippy than he is. I'm going to try and remember this next time I feel annoyed about something.
I thought the feedback was pretty accurate to be honest.
Thanks a lot for helping me out, Hobokenkitchen! I'm so glad that like the survey and feedback. I really really appreciate your support and participation

Old 02-18-2009, 10:50 AM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,137,983 times
Your rationalizations for publishing your women students names do not supersede common sense.

Of course, they agreed to your requests to publish their names. & if they didn't would they still be your graduate students?

As a fellow New Yorker, the bottom line is would I want my daughter to be in this position?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships