Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2017, 11:14 AM

9 posts, read 6,323 times

Advertisements

am 53, new to Alexandria, I consider myself avg. looking, got a good job, no financial issues to go out have a good time, have free weekends, I was looking for a lady friend to go out and share good things with. didn't have any luck yet with dating sites. I love women, simple women, I can adjust to any one, look, race not important but it seems that I can not find what am looking for.
I know there are a lot of ladies out there with same situation, looking to be with men. how do we connect. why it is becoming hard to connect with someone these days?
any advice? what to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 11:22 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,030,796 times
Who are you as a person? What interests/hobbies do you have?

There are far too many posts started here by guys who mention their job and average appearance, as if somehow that's enough.

Old 03-19-2017, 11:26 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waelnassar View Post
am 53, new to Alexandria, I consider myself avg. looking, got a good job, no financial issues to go out have a good time, have free weekends, I was looking for a lady friend to go out and share good things with. didn't have any luck yet with dating sites. I love women, simple women, I can adjust to any one, look, race not important but it seems that I can not find what am looking for.
I know there are a lot of ladies out there with same situation, looking to be with men. how do we connect. why it is becoming hard to connect with someone these days?
any advice? what to do?
Alexandria where? Louisiana or Virginia? Big difference.

Old 03-19-2017, 11:36 AM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
One common strategy for making friends of any sort in a new location is to join hobby groups, volunteer orgs, and other activity groups. See what Meetup in your area has to offer. Read the weekly events calendar in your city. Google your favorite hobbies, and see what organizations there are that support those. Maybe check out independent bookstores to see which ones have a program of author readings and other events. Check out the local recreational equipment store to see if they have travel seminars or other social events.

Look up the local Parks Dept., to see what activities they sponsor: aside from soccer and volleyball leagues in various neighborhoods, they may have facilities around town that host martial arts classes, music or drama groups, maybe photography groups and exhibits, etc. You never know what their programming may include. Granted, a lot of it is for younger people, but you never know. Also, test the waters at your town's Swing Dance venues, Salsa Dancing or folkdancing. Maybe you have two left feet, but with Swing and Salsa, you can at least enjoy observing, and listening to the music.

That's how it's done, OP. Join stuff. It's a good way to meet a number of people more or less all at once. It gives you an opportunity to get to know people gradually over time in a low-key and fun environment of shared interests. At least you'll know you'll have interest in that one activity in common; instant conversation-starter.

Old 03-19-2017, 11:56 AM

Alexandria VA
I like nature, going out, restaurants, downtown, coffee shops, country sides, camping...

Old 03-19-2017, 11:59 AM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Alexandria VA
I like nature, going out, restaurants, downtown, coffee shops, country sides, camping...
There are Meetups that are about sampling restaurants in their city. There are hiking clubs that also have social events in the winter, when hiking isn't possible. There are Meetups for people who are new to town, that meet at various coffee shops in town for neighborly chat, and sharing info on the city.

Also check your local community college to see what classes and activities it offers to non-students; they may have a separate curriculum--a separate course catalogue--for non-students that, aside from offering computer skill workshops and other college-based topics, also offer introductions to bridge or mah-jongg, ethnic cooking classes, photography, craft classes, and a variety of other practical and leisure-time skills. It can't hurt to try to branch out from your own standard interests, to try something new and meet new people in the process.

Google is your friend. A new world, a new community, is at your fingertips.

P.S. Have you tried posting in the Alexandria forum, to see what people there can suggest for you? I'm sure they'd love to help.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 03-19-2017 at 12:10 PM..

Old 03-19-2017, 12:00 PM

Ruth,
what you wrote is very valuable
thanks

Old 03-19-2017, 12:05 PM

628 posts, read 695,571 times
Quote:
Alexandria VA
Good Luck! Approach with caution.
Loads of single women in your area.
Everyone "LOVE" Downtown Alex, VA--King Street.
Once more be very careful.....

Old 03-19-2017, 02:02 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
In my experience, 50ish was a great age to be to attract women as long as you were single, weren't ugly and had a decent job. There are more women that age, and younger, who are single, divorced or widowed who also want to date. Just be careful of the "hungry" ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships