Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 10:57 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,877,010 times

Advertisements

Why not just, "They were gifts from an old friend."

I can't really imagine what guy would ask where his gf got a non-engagement-style ring she wore anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 11:19 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,088,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
Why not just, "They were gifts from an old friend."

I can't really imagine what guy would ask where his gf got a non-engagement-style ring she wore anyway.
I would never ask and don't normally pay too much attention to jewelry. But I can imagine if I am for example kissing her hand or something similar I might pay attention to a pretty ring. I would never ask who bought it of course but I might admire it and maybe ask her where it was made, how old it is, etc... This happened once or twice and usually women told me how they got it. I cam imagine that had they said that their EX bought it, it would've been awkward. Probable better to say that it was a gift from a good friend...

Old 03-22-2017, 11:53 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I would not dump a guy because he isn't thrilled that I wear an exes ring.
It's not an ex's ring.
It's your ring.
And any meaning is purely assigned by you.
Not by your ex.
And not by whatever guy comes next.

I mean, my ex and I got a dog together and raised it for 4 years together. Should I throw away the dog not to offend my wife?
Should she have thrown away her ex's dogs that she kept by she knew her ex wouldn't take care of them?

How about these unique glasses that my ex got me while she stayed in Germany for a year? Or the custom pottery with my name on it? Or this funny shirt she had made for me that's super funny? My rollerblades?

Throw it all away! No one existed before you!

Sorry. Too lame. Find a more mature guy.

Old 03-22-2017, 12:01 PM

20,747 posts, read 19,947,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It's not an ex's ring.
It's your ring.
Not by your ex.

I mean, my ex and I got a dog together and raised it for 4 years together. Should I throw away the dog not to offend my wife?
Should she have thrown away her ex's dogs that she kept by she knew her ex wouldn't take care of them?

How about these unique glasses that my ex got me while she stayed in Germany for a year? Or the custom pottery with my name on it? Or this funny shirt she had made for me that's super funny? My rollerblades?

Good point.

Again, this is highly hypothetical. It hasn't really happened (yet) that he asks.

Old 03-22-2017, 12:07 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,300,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I'd be careful with this one!!

Remember on forums you get a lot of people who say they are "free" and " okay" with things they might not actually be OK with it it happened to them.

Early on early dates, sure no guy is gonna worry about it... but he will grow to hate that piece of jewelry!

I might be assuming many people are like me, but if I think this way and Dissenter does, there's a good chance we're not the only two. Just putting that out there.
You two aren't the only ones who think that way because I feel the same way. I'd be weirded out by it and think she's not over the guy and clinging to the past. I don't want to be reminded of your exes or see any of the reminders of them. Basically, I'd stop seeing a woman because of this. I know I'm gonna hear you're insecure blah blah blah I don't care. I will happily wear that label. I am tired of playing second fiddle to a woman's ex boyfriend or ex husband.

Old 03-22-2017, 12:09 PM

602 posts, read 395,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It's not an ex's ring.
It's your ring.
Not by your ex.

with you 100%.

Old 03-22-2017, 12:18 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,479,424 times
In the almost two years I've been dating my boyfriend he's never once asked me where I got any jewelry I wear. I can't remember any other exes asking either.

Funny thing though, I know that the watch my boyfriend wears was given to him by his ex-wife. After his divorce no less! She won it as a door prize and it's a pretty nice men's watch. I really don't care. It's just a watch.

Old 03-22-2017, 01:25 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,029,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I'd be careful with this one!!

Remember on forums you get a lot of people who say they are "free" and " okay" with things they might not actually be OK with it it happened to them.

Early on early dates, sure no guy is gonna worry about it... but he will grow to hate that piece of jewelry!

I might be assuming many people are like me, but if I think this way and Dissenter does, there's a good chance we're not the only two. Just putting that out there.
We do not have to date you.

Old 03-22-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
I was dripping in David Yurman jewelry and some other nice pieces from my ex and sold it when we got divorced.
It just had a weird energy to it and I felt weird wearing it.
I completely get why it would bother a guy to have his gf wearing gifts from an ex.

I cannot imagine ever demanding a guy buy me anything.
Does that actually work for you?
Yes all the time. My last boyfriend disliked I wore a diamond necklace from an ex. He bought me almost the same one as a replacement. I thought it was silly, but whatever. I now have two.

Old 03-22-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
How would a new guy even know? People generally don't ask where every piece of jewelry came from , that's weird. Who interrogates someone about their jewelry?

And many women these days can afford to buy their own jewelry, even expensive-looking pieces (even some of those go on sale). Also, unless it's an engagement ring, most women don't wear expensive jewelry as an everyday thing; they wear that for special occasions.
I wear diamonds every day, even with jeans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships