Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 11:03 AM

880 posts, read 1,251,705 times

Advertisements

Because people are used to living with someone. Losing a partner without going through a nasty divorce has not made them despise the opposite sex, so they are willing to give it another shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 08:20 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Companionship can be very important to people who've never been without it for decades and decades at a time. Older men who've been widowed or divorced also tend to remarry more quickly and reliably than their female counterparts, who are more inclined to stay single in larger numbers. This is thought to be the case because women are more likely to have developed strong, supportive platonic relationships in addition to their marital relationships, and aren't as dependent upon a spouse, alone, for companionship and support. Men, especially as they age, are more inclined to put all those eggs in the spouse basket.
Doing the math, a man who is now a widower and was in a 40 - 50 year marriage most likely was socialized at a time prior to most men learning very many domestic skills.

OtoH .... someone like me, raised in a "liberated" environment and a latch key kid to boot, would have a lot less trouble if thrown into life as a widower.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:55 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
The longer you are part of a pair the harder it is to be alone. It's for friendship, support, and companionship.
I'll second that. I've been married for 45 of my 70 years. My first marriage lasted 25 years until she left me for another. My wife and I have been married for a bit over 20 years. At age 50 when we married, I couldn't easily envision living the rest of my life alone, nor did I wish to. If I lost my wife I would not remarry at this age. A good relationship requires a lot of hard work on an ongoing basis. I just wouldn't be up to it but I'd certainly have a lot of good memories.

Douglas MacArthur famously said, "Old soldiers never die; they just fade away. If I lost my wife I would welcome that fate.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:14 AM

672 posts, read 503,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I'll second that. I've been married for 45 of my 70 years. My first marriage lasted 25 years until she left me for another. My wife and I have been married for a bit over 20 years. At age 50 when we married, I couldn't easily envision living the rest of my life alone, nor did I wish to. If I lost my wife I would not remarry at this age. A good relationship requires a lot of hard work on an ongoing basis. I just wouldn't be up to it but I'd certainly have a lot of good memories.

Douglas MacArthur famously said, "Old soldiers never die; they just fade away. If I lost my wife I would welcome that fate.
I am sorry what you had to go trough but I am talking Marriages that end in death after many decades of Marriage, not Marriages that end in Divorces. Not the same.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:23 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestResident View Post
I am sorry what you had to go trough but I am talking Marriages that end in death after many decades of Marriage, not Marriages that end in Divorces. Not the same.
Sorry about that. However, I think the feelings could be similar because at the end of the day they both leave a void which some wish to fill, others not so much.

Old 03-24-2017, 12:12 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Doing the math, a man who is now a widower and was in a 40 - 50 year marriage most likely was socialized at a time prior to most men learning very many domestic skills.

OtoH .... someone like me, raised in a "liberated" environment and a latch key kid to boot, would have a lot less trouble if thrown into life as a widower.
True...if by "companionship," I were referring to someone on hand to handle domestic tasks. But, I wasn't. I was referring to the social aspect of companionship, versus the caregiver role.

Old 03-25-2017, 10:59 PM

1,155 posts, read 962,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestResident View Post
What a strange distinction. How is it not the same? All marriages end in death or divorce. Marriages that have lasted many decades all end in death or divorce. One ends up on one's own either way. Some are interested in remarriage at that point, others not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships