Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 02:26 PM

102,063 posts, read 106,870,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Exactly. She did by having unrealistic, selfish expectations then having a snit when they weren't realized.
Yup. Shocking, really. So, why are you with this woman, OP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan;
OP, I think that your girlfriend owes you an apology.
This. A good test of her character, OP, would be to ask her for an apology. Tell her you're hurt because she made it clear that your thoughtful gift collection and your dinner and cake plans didn't cut it for her, and that you'd like an apology.

Something tells me that her reaction will tell you all you need to know about whether you want to stay in the relationship or not. Whose name is on the lease, btw?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 02:34 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,401,996 times
Are you sure she is upset about her birthday becoming CS:GO day?
Have you ever only done something for "15 minutes" on occasions where something was expected or important?

She sounds like she had expections that you never heard or where never spoken

Have you ever had issues like this before with her in other areas of your relationship?

Logically, This reads more like a general or accumulation of let downs than it does a one time offense to me.

It's hard to come to any conclusion with just one side of things to go by for anyone reading this and not experiencing it for themselves.

If you are really confused about "who's fault" it is, you should be asking yourself the opening statements in my post before jumping to immediate accusations.

This issue would be a great starting point to a further discussion on expectations in your relationship with you GF and get all confusion you may have on the topic leveled out.

Last edited by rego00123; 03-31-2017 at 02:47 PM..

Old 03-31-2017, 02:40 PM

13,262 posts, read 7,931,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen963 View Post
You didn't ruin her birthday or do anything wrong. She sounds a bit spoiled and ungrateful to me.

It wasn't your fault.

I'm thinking that rather than her being spoiled and ungrateful (well...yeah...she was ungrateful) that she (and you) were tired, stressed, sad and maybe even hormonal.

She was up the night before working on grad school homework, sad that this was the first year she didn't have family around, and maybe the hormones just added to the whole thing.

Hope you two can kiss and make up.

Old 03-31-2017, 02:52 PM

2,148 posts, read 1,683,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greddleok View Post
I told her exactly what I wanted and she got it. She did take me out though, but it was a Sunday where we both had nothing to do.

I think she just wanted dinner waiting or something. I told her I would make her something after she voiced her initial "concern". I think she was mainly just pissed I was playing games. I got off after like 2 minutes though, I was playing with people so after the round I told them I had to go.
So, the part about her birthday may not have been the underlying issue...

Have the two of you had discussions regarding game play, previously?

IMO, it sounds as though she used her birthday as a means to express her displeasure over behavior she doesn't like. I would at least try to address this before you do anything in response to what may not even be her primary issue.

Old 03-31-2017, 02:53 PM

9,333 posts, read 6,870,607 times
Tell her to kick rocks and to get a steppin.

Old 03-31-2017, 03:07 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,245,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greddleok View Post
I told her exactly what I wanted and she got it. She did take me out though, but it was a Sunday where we both had nothing to do.

I think she just wanted dinner waiting or something. I told her I would make her something after she voiced her initial "concern". I think she was mainly just pissed I was playing games. I got off after like 2 minutes though, I was playing with people so after the round I told them I had to go.
According to your OP, you had just gotten home from work that night as well. Were you supposed to stare at the wall until she got home too?

A few minutes of game time while you're waiting for her to get home shouldn't set anyone off. She sounds way too controlling here, and yes, she does owe you an apology for making a mountain out of a molehill.

Good luck.

Old 03-31-2017, 03:08 PM

15,932 posts, read 12,179,960 times
As usual show her this thread to let her know what neutral parties think of the behavior.

Old 03-31-2017, 03:11 PM

35,095 posts, read 50,961,628 times
OP, you should have a discussion *not a fight* with your girlfriend about this incident and depending on her reaction/responses you may want to consider sleeping in the second bedroom until you find a place of your own and a new girlfriend.

Old 03-31-2017, 03:38 PM

914 posts, read 732,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
Are you sure she is upset about her birthday becoming CS:GO day?
Have you ever only done something for "15 minutes" on occasions where something was expected or important?

She sounds like she had expections that you never heard or where never spoken

Have you ever had issues like this before with her in other areas of your relationship?

Logically, This reads more like a general or accumulation of let downs than it does a one time offense to me.

It's hard to come to any conclusion with just one side of things to go by for anyone reading this and not experiencing it for themselves.

If you are really confused about "who's fault" it is, you should be asking yourself the opening statements in my post before jumping to immediate accusations.

This issue would be a great starting point to a further discussion on expectations in your relationship with you GF and get all confusion you may have on the topic leveled out.
That's what I thought of as well.
I would love to read the same thread, but from the girlfriend's perspective!

OP, how often are you needing 'just a couple of more minutes' before you switch off a game? Who usually does the cooking in your relationship? 10pm is quite late... I know if I had a busy evening, I would certainly appreciate if my partner had cooked (or was at least in the process of cooking) when I get home that late, birthday or not.
I think you need to sit down with her and have an honest and open conversation about what upset her so much. Or I could be totally wrong and she might just be spoilt!

Old 03-31-2017, 05:00 PM

926 posts, read 669,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen963 View Post
According to your OP, you had just gotten home from work that night as well. Were you supposed to stare at the wall until she got home too?

A few minutes of game time while you're waiting for her to get home shouldn't set anyone off. She sounds way too controlling here, and yes, she does owe you an apology for making a mountain out of a molehill.

Good luck.
I was just going to post almost this exact same sentiment, but Gretchen beat me to it.

This woman sounds VERY immature to be upset with you because of this. I mean, seriously, you gave her a bunch of lovely presents the night before...AND you were planning on making her supper and giving her a birthday cake the day OF her actual birthday!!

She seems VERY spoiled and entitled. She should have been more grateful and appreciative if you ask me. Her treatment of you is complete and utter rubbish IMHO.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships