Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 02:54 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,007,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenbuddica View Post
Well he does work a lot. Even when I moved in his place was kind of dirty, and I cleaned it all up. I haven't seen him do any laundry or wash any dishes and he will give me money and a list to go get all the groceries. He is quite generous with gifts though, not that I ask.
You had absolutely no conversation about what this would look like prior to moving in?

If you are interested in continuing this, I'd heartily suggest sitting down and clarifying what these roles are and where the boundaries lie.

Old 04-07-2017, 02:56 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,944,809 times
Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I don't pay but not because I don't want to, I have offered several times and he just says don't worry about it. He also spends a lot of time in his office and likes to text me to bring him a drink or snack or something. He does spend time with his kid but I would say the majority of the time he is doing something else and says it's ok you get along great with him.
Well, there you go. You are paying, just not in the way you think you are.

As far as playing baby sitter, that expectation is completely out of bounds. Visitation is for children to spend time with the parent they aren't living with, not that parent's boyfriend/girlfriend. Does this boy's mother know this is going on?? I don't doubt she would have something to say about it.

Old 04-07-2017, 02:57 PM

735 posts, read 451,984 times
It's definitely him. He maybe raised in a very traditional household. He did his part as a provider, and he expects you to take the caretaker role. You have a choice either stay and be in that role or leave. If you stay, you'll need to change your mindset to be happy in that role. Ideally, if he's that traditional, he should marry you before moving you in.

Old 04-07-2017, 02:58 PM

735 posts, read 451,984 times
You can also hire a housekeeper to clean the house with your own money.

Old 04-07-2017, 02:59 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,944,809 times
Quote:
Well to be fair we didn't see each other that much in the beginning but he was always great when we were together.
Maybe you should have kept it that way. He has different expectations than you do of how the whole "living together" scenario plays out.

Old 04-07-2017, 03:01 PM

20,756 posts, read 19,947,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Why? I have to say I've met a lot of American men that expect these kinds of things. It didn't strike me as that odd at all. He doesn't seem to want to take away any of her independence, just thinks she has things she could do as the woman of the house, maybe that's what his mom did.

Didn't you say before that you think it's a mans job to lift heavy stuff?...Why is this so different?

If I'm not paying rent or household bills, hell yeah I'll bring you dinner! Let's have dinner at the office, less mess for me to clean up at home. Make you a drink? Sure, I'm making one for myself after work anyway...That's nothing, I'd be saving thousands in this arrangement.
I have never met an American man who expects it.

Yes, that was my statement.

There is a difference in tone though. Maybe she just worded it in a way that came off wrong.

I would be doing all the things but just the fact that she said she HAS to bring snacks when he has friends over, just didn't sound right. If he kindly ASKS her to - sure, no problem. I have been asked many time to cook for friends and stuff.
But the fact that she brings it up like he demands it, just sounded odd.

Old 04-07-2017, 03:06 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,860,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I have never met an American man who expects it.

Yes, that was my statement.

There is a difference in tone though. Maybe she just worded it in a way that came off wrong.

I would be doing all the things but just the fact that she said she HAS to bring snacks when he has friends over, just didn't sound right. If he kindly ASKS her to - sure, no problem.
I would be doing all of those things too, because I like to. So I guess that's why I don't get asked to, I'm already doing it. I'm more surprised when the guy says he wants to cook for me. Nice! I like to cook and shop and play the hostess. I guess I never asked if it was expected, but by doing those things we kind of create a role for ourselves that creates the expectation. I can't find anything negative or insulting in it-- for myself, anyway.

Old 04-07-2017, 03:09 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,014,750 times
Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I don't pay but not because I don't want to, I have offered several times and he just says don't worry about it. He also spends a lot of time in his office and likes to text me to bring him a drink or snack or something. He does spend time with his kid but I would say the majority of the time he is doing something else and says it's ok you get along great with him.

It kind of sounds like he thinks he has a maid with benefits. Or in other words...that you're being used.

Old 04-07-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
I would be doing all of those things too, because I like to. So I guess that's why I don't get asked to, I'm already doing it. I'm more surprised when the guy says he wants to cook for me. Nice! I like to cook and shop and play the hostess. I guess I never asked if it was expected, but by doing those things we kind of create a role for ourselves that creates the expectation. I can't find anything negative or insulting in it-- for myself, anyway.
That's what I meant also.

Old 04-07-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Well he does work a lot. Even when I moved in his place was kind of dirty, and I cleaned it all up. I haven't seen him do any laundry or wash any dishes and he will give me money and a list to go get all the groceries. He is quite generous with gifts though, not that I ask.
You do not pay rent. You do not pay utilities. He pays in the restaurant, he pays your groceries and gives you gifts and you have to be reminded to clean/wash/cook????

If I was you, he would get the red carpet treatment when he comes home. He wouldn't have to ask for anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.