Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 01:57 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,008,763 times

Advertisements

It depends on the illness and the person.If the person with an illness doesn't want to accept that they have an illness...then leave as fast as you can.If the person accepts responsibility for what they need to do for their own health and it's not a strain on the other partner...then it would work out fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 02:20 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,404,871 times
It is certainly possible and depends on several factors, like the severity of the illness and whether or not the person with the illness is compliant with treatment. I have BPII and no psychotic features. I can imagine that it would be difficult to deal with someone that has a more severe version and is in and out of hospitals. Just because I get tired of talking about bipolar sometimes, I want to bring up an ex that has Type 1 diabetes. He was very moody - that was an understatement. I did my research and found that it is not uncommon for someone with diabetes to become irritable depending on their glucose levels. I didn't want to break up with someone that had a chronic condition, but he would drink like a fish and not take care of himself. I got sick of the name calling and cut it off. I have an ex that got married to the person he dated right after me and he ended up with Stage 3 colon/bowel cancer. I know that the parameters are different within a marriage than with someone that you may just be starting to date, but even he was there doing what he could for himself and his wife. With the proper treatment and self care (which is something that can help everyone: exercise, eating properly, sleep hygiene, etc.) the person can begin to operate as if they had no illness at all.

Old 04-12-2017, 02:33 PM

20,756 posts, read 19,947,491 times
I will never take on a mentally ill person ever again. Not even if he is on pills and claims he is fine. Never met a person who was on pills and therefore normal. They are less crazy/depressed/whatever but will never be mentally healthy like others who weren't given that diagnosis.

Chronic pain or other illness, disability, handicap, not mental stuff - sure. No problem. Bonus point if we can park in handicapped spots

Old 04-12-2017, 04:00 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,993,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
They're basically saying you can't rely on your partner because they're too busy with their own health issues. Do you think there's any truth to this?
I don't think that's true across the board. I've known many people with illnesses who live a full life, including having a family. Does illness sometimes distract? Sure. But who doesn't have the occasional blip?

Old 04-12-2017, 04:09 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Do you think there's any truth to this? I'm not just referring to a mental illness like BP, but illness in general. If one person is ill, does that automatically tilt the relationship towards them and their needs at the expense of the other person's?
It's commendable that you do/did research on the illness.

Some people use their illness like a crutch and enjoy manipulating others. You'll have to make judgment on a case-by-case basis. That is far more likely to happen with someone with a mental illness, than not, but it does happen with people who have physical illnesses, too. Some physical illnesses are not as demanding as others. In fact, some people would prefer it not to be known that they even had an illness.
In the end, you'll just have to keep your eyes open and recognize when someone is taking advantage of you.

Old 04-12-2017, 04:11 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,465,732 times
It depends on the illness, and the personality of the person who has it. My ex was bipolar, and it was difficult to deal with even with good medication, but mostly because she lost what little sex drive she had, and her personality was abrasive and unloving.

My current wife has had a few serious illnesses and injuries, and while those also required me to do a lot extra at times to care for her and/or the house, etc., her personality and desire to do whatever she could for me made all the difference. She's been a treasure and a delight, and even more so now that she's well.

So, it depends, but I think the person makes a huge difference in how they handle adversity, even more than the illness.

Old 04-13-2017, 04:00 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Oh, bother! OP already posted about this on the Mental Health Board and his presumptions are general and stigmatizing to many as are several responses here.

Old 04-13-2017, 04:01 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
So, it depends, but I think the person makes a huge difference in how they handle adversity, even more than the illness.
Quite right!

Old 04-13-2017, 05:26 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,404,871 times
Honestly, if someone cannot handle me taking pills in the AM and PM, and going to a psych appointment and a therapist appointment once a month, then to hell with them. That's the extent of it. And practicing positive eating and sleeping habits, which would help just about every one of us. When my bf feels sick, I am at the ready with tea, soup, and whatever else he needs. If he needs to talk I am there to listen. It is an illness, but it does not have to be a barrier to a full life, or caring for others for that matter.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:35 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,636,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Oh, bother! OP already posted about this on the Mental Health Board and his presumptions are general and stigmatizing to many as are several responses here.
Oh, brother. Curmudgeon decides to troll me by following me to other forums but has yet to post the definition of stigmatize or show I'm guilty of doing that. Will you now report me to the moderator?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships