Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 04:33 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,625,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyosa View Post
How can you rock climb then? Just curious.
Many people in wheelchairs are incredibly fit. They just can't use their legs or stand. I have a friend whose running buddy (they do marathons and half marathons together) is in a wheelchair. Her friend is far more dedicated a runner than she is, but she has to use her arms to maneuver the wheelchair for 13.1 miles or 26.2 miles. She has very well developed arms and torso.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 05:04 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,381,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkangel6 View Post
Ok, I'm a 48 yr old disabled Navy Veteran who is wheelchair bound. I can still move my legs somewhat and everything works, I just cannot stand or walk. Yet whenever I try to ask a woman out for a date or even just dinner, I am shot down or even told " What do I want with half a man?". I don't think I'm that bad looking, before I was disabled I never had a problem getting a date and more! So what's up ladies, isn't a man in a wheelchair worth dating? I'm very outgoing and self sufficient, so what's up?
They probably just don't want to deal with your disability. Some people don't want to deal with a partner that's not fully functional others can't mentally or physically deal with it. Sucks that they aren't willing to give it a shot, but not everyone is Florence Nightingale.
Good luck man. Have you tried doing online? Not sure if it's gonna get better. . Maybe try websites that are geared towards disabled people.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:29 AM

20,705 posts, read 19,880,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHS View Post
What about people such as myself who are born with their disability and know no other way to live and so are well adjusted to our lifestyle. Are we undateable/unmarryable what have you?

What about that?
nope, not undateable/unmarryable/whathaveyou if you are fun to be around and nice.
But if you are a whiner/complainer, you will be undateable.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:00 PM

722 posts, read 428,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
nope, not undateable/unmarryable/whathaveyou if you are fun to be around and nice.
But if you are a whiner/complainer, you will be undateable.
Well for the record, I'm always fun to be around and nice. And I don't whine or complain about my disability. Alot of us aren't. Sometimes I think you "normals" just use that as an excuse not to be with us.

Old 04-21-2017, 04:47 PM

48,445 posts, read 34,627,532 times
Quote:
Well for the record, I'm always fun to be around and nice. And I don't whine or complain about my disability. Alot of us aren't. Sometimes I think you "normals" just use that as an excuse not to be with us.

No one needs an excuse to not want to date someone, it's a personal choice.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-22-2017, 11:07 AM

722 posts, read 428,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Heh. You might think differently if you'd heard some of the beauties I have.

Old 04-22-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Heh. You might think differently if you'd heard some of the beauties I have.

I'm so sorry about that, there is no excuse for behavior like that.

Old 04-22-2017, 11:23 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,489,133 times
Quote:
I'm so sorry about that, there is no excuse for behavior like that.

Old 04-22-2017, 11:45 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,334,079 times
Quote:

You're right. Do you think it feels different, though, when a high % of people make the same personal choice? On an individual basis, no one is obligated to step outside their comfort zone to date someone. But I would understand that from the perspective of someone with a trait that very few people see as within their comfort zone, never mind attractive, those personal choices can seem to accumulate. Viewed through the frustration that might understandably grow from those people's personal choices, the person with the unpopular trait might start to feel like a victim. Feeling like a victim is no way to live, but we know this because most of us feel like a victim at least a few times in our lives. It happens. If tomorrow no one felt like a victim, we'd have a lot of unemployed therapists and shuttered liquor stores.

I guess my point is that if I don't want to date a woman who is religious, I'm sending her off to find one of many religious men who might be glad to date her. I pass on a woman who hates sports, she hasn't wasted time on me and she can pursue one of the many men who hate or at least have no special love for sports. But if I don't want to date a woman with neurofibromatosis (hopefully rare enough that no one reading has this) I'm likely joining the vast majority of men who make that same personal choice. I could understand if my "no" felt to her like a threat to her hearing a yes. That feeling might not reflect reality, or it might, but running with that unhelpful feeling is also hardly novel.

I'm making a personal choice in each case, but the consequences of my choice is similar and likely negligible in the first two instances, but not so in the third. Doesn't obligate me to choose differently in any case, but all such choices are not equal.

Life kind of sucks that way.

Old 04-22-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post

Life kind of sucks that way.

Your whole post was spot on, but it doesn't change anything. So it sucks even more.

Before you think me a heartless wench (or confirms your suspicions ), my husband was injured for the first two years of our marriage, physically limited, mentally limited by the high dose of painkillers.... it was horrible and at that time we thought maybe permanent. Finally healed and he went and broke another bone within 6 mos.

Of course I stood by him, but wouldn't have STARTED dating him in that shape.

In addition, people with disabilities can be jerks too, we don't know them in real life, it could be other reasons why they are having problems dating (lord knows there are enough able bodied complainers here).

While I sympathize, sympathy is not going to move them forward to solve their problems. There is no excuse for the rudeness they have experienced... that is sub-human.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships