Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 06:40 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,009,673 times

Advertisements

Well it sounds to me that those women don't want to date a man in a wheelchair.Sorry that they're not giving you a chance based on what they see.I'm sure that you will find someone who will not be deterred by the wheelchair. It sucks when people don't want to give you a chance just based on what they see first..oh the perils of trying to date..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 01:18 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,229,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Not wanting to enter a relationship with someone who will never stand or walk is not that "petty" actually.
Agreed. I see it as more of a preference or criteria. There's really nothing shallow about this at all.

But it is wrong for people to make rude and insulting comments for not dating people with disabilities.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:19 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Here you go...the bride and groom are both veterans.

https://www.yahoo.com/style/paralyze...173553887.html

Old 04-18-2017, 08:24 AM

17 posts, read 15,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Here you go...the bride and groom are both veterans.

https://www.yahoo.com/style/paralyze...173553887.html
Nice

Old 04-18-2017, 10:32 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,296,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
You'd think, at your age, there would plenty of women who aren't so superficial who are looking for a partner. Are you trying to date younger women?

That being said, when a woman first meets you, she probably has a number of concerns. Women want a helpmate and someone stronger than they are. Women are nervous about what's going on "down there". They're wondering how much assistance you'll need. You might make them feel self-conscious because you're not the typical guy, so on and so forth.

You need to find a way to allow women to get to know you in person over a period of time. Don't give up your online search, but you need to have a venue where they can safely flirt and chat, while falling in love with the person you really are.

^This. To be honest, most people wouldn't find the idea of dating a wheelchair bound person appealing if they have the options. However, don't be despair the right one for you will be open to a relationship with you, just look at Nick Vujicic.

Old 04-18-2017, 05:35 PM

1,713 posts, read 1,107,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softcrunch View Post
^This. To be honest, most people wouldn't find the idea of dating a wheelchair bound person appealing
And thank the Maker for that. I have a hard enough time taking care of myself. I dread to think how much more complicated life would be if I had someone else's needs, wants, and whims to worry about as well .

The OP, however, looks at things from a different perspective and is much braver than I. Can I ask what your dating life was like pre-disability, and if there were any women on the scene who may be more open minded to your present circumstances? If they knew you as a person before, they'd have some idea what they were getting into.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:24 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,797,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
You'd think, at your age, there would plenty of women who aren't so superficial who are looking for a partner. Are you trying to date younger women?

That being said, when a woman first meets you, she probably has a number of concerns. Women want a helpmate and someone stronger than they are. Women are nervous about what's going on "down there". They're wondering how much assistance you'll need. You might make them feel self-conscious because you're not the typical guy, so on and so forth.

You need to find a way to allow women to get to know you in person over a period of time. Don't give up your online search, but you need to have a venue where they can safely flirt and chat, while falling in love with the person you really are.
This is the best point about it I think. I did fall in love with a man in a wheelchair once when in my young twenties and I worked in a hospital where he was a patient and I couldn't wait to get to his room each evening to talk to him. He was so fascinating and quite handsome and while at first I wouldn't have even considered going out with a man in a wheelchair, within a couple of weeks I knew that I would if he asked me, but shortly after he moved two states over and didn't ask me to go along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
You asked the question why women aren't interested in guys in wheelchairs your age? Well, its the same reason you prefer not to date women in wheelchairs your age, minus the rude insults.
I think this is unfair. I know so few people in wheelchairs and all of them are special ed students I've worked with plus the one that got away. The pool is just not all that large and the OP get will old and die waiting for an appropriately aged partner that he actually has something in common with. Please go easy with this one folks.

OP, I do know that a common concern with women is whether you can still "do it" so the sooner you can address that one the better. I'm in my upper fifties now and it's not uncommon for dates to let me know that they still have an interest in that and to try to subtly (or not so subtly) find out if I do too, and this on the first date. At first it embarrassed me but now I realize it's for the best for two people to find out early on before the clothes come off whether it's going to be an issue for them or not.

Old 04-19-2017, 01:23 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,889,113 times
I'll date you! Decent looking, literate, interesting life experiences, outgoing, active. Add the ability to love and care for another and you are a great catch! A carefully crafted online profile might help, but don't try to hide the chair.

I doubt we're in the same area code so that would be a logistical challenge. ;-) But the chair would not deter me if I otherwise liked you. I've dated a few disabled guys. In my experience people who have always been disabled sometimes have trouble with social skills (which is a damm shame) but that would not apply to you.

I'll bet what you're dealing with is the question that no one can bring up...sexual function. It's tacky for her to ask and tacky for you to mention when you meet someone.

If you ever do get a date, It seems that starting off with dates where the chair wouldn't be a big deal might be a good strategy. Have her meet you at a cozy restaurant and get there early to snag a table. Maybe go to a coffee house with music so you can just chat and get to know each other. Dinner at your place. Then invite her to something active that demonstrates how you've adapted, like kayaking.

Everyone has to make compromises in relationships. The logistical challenge of maneuvering a chair through life just doesn't seem like that big a problem to me. I once dated a wonderful man with an eating disorder. THAT was a problem.

And if anyone really said "What would I want with half a man" to you, you need to find a better class of joint to hang out in!!!! I know plenty of nice women who would not treat you that way.

A friend of mine crashed into a blind man in the grocery store and ended up in an long term relationship with him. Maybe you should just start rolling over ladies' feet in the produce department.... (just kidding, don't really do that)

Old 04-19-2017, 01:28 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,889,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Then I would use online dating and even mention that everything works. Put your hobbies there and how active you are. And just like with everybody else - I recommend getting in shape. That's always an extra push.

Good luck!
He wheels a chair every day and rock climbs, I'm guessing he IS in good shape!

Old 04-19-2017, 01:38 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,062,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Hopefully, none of those people ever get into relationships or marriages with people who then become injured or ill and lose mobility.

Or, lose mobility themselves.
Exactly. You never know what is going to happen in the future, for yourself or others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships