Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 07:14 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondiel View Post
It would be worth your money to hire a private detective to prove the affair. Solid proof would save
$$$, plus you would have a better chance of getting custody of your children. Schedule a consultation with a good attorney for laws in your state.
It depends on the state. Step #1 is the free consultation with the divorce attorney.

Personally, the first thing I'd do is shut down anything "joint". Credit cards. Bank accounts. Somebody imploding a marriage by flaunting an affair is also likely to drain savings and max out all the credit cards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 09:09 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,850 times
Her having an affair doesnt mean he will get custody. he needs a lawyer for that part, not the divorce.

My advice having walked through this:
1) either work on your marriage or divorce her. Dont wait and wait and wait or listen to her threats and false promises.
2) She wants BOTH lives, thats why she threatens you and wont leave him.
3) Fear shouldnt keep you in hell.

I worked on my marriage and my husband changed his ways. I was filing for housing, applying for a divorce when he finally ( after 8yrs) decided to change.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:12 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softcrunch View Post
OP, you admitted having faults that possibly lead to your wife's affair and both have no real desire to divorce. Out of the affair your wife might be desperately seeking to provoke the attention lacking from you, which you seemed to realise.
It may do well giving a try to work it out, but it's not the best idea to show her this thread thinking she'll come around.
This is true. I know a couple where an affair was a wake-up call for them to recommit to each other and to their marriage. It was rough for a while, but they took a good look at their relationship and they're still together.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:40 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,090,943 times
OP: Sorry to hear that you are going through this... But from what I understand and know about the divorces, you don't have a lot of good options in contested divorce proceedings. Four kids and SAHM? You will have to pay child support and alimony. After that, you might have enough to rent a studio apartment with roommates.

You can blow 20k on the expensive lawyers but the end result would probably be similar. Mother usually gets custody. If you accuse her of cheating she will accuse your of emotional neglect, etc. And in all fairness, someone has to support your wife and kids. If she does not work, that would be you by default. The judge might encourage your wife to find a job...

Your best bet would probably be to try to work this out somehow and stay married, for the sake of the kids. Especially if they are small.

If that fails, then you are probably better off trying to negotiate with your wife for what she wants. Court, judges and liars are not really conductive to reasonable negotiations. And you will hate each other even more after being through the divorce court...

Old 04-19-2017, 01:43 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,075,900 times
Get WAY out front of it. Lawyer. Assets. Kids. Make the first move and make it dramatically and convincingly. Don't hesitate or fall for the "threats" or "i'll be good". Shock and awe. Trust me. First mover in these situations has a BIG advantage and she will always be known in court as the Defendant. BIG difference.

Old 04-19-2017, 02:07 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,186,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Lawyer, CYA, leave, and then file for divorce.
This is the kind of thing caused me to advise you to get your advice from people who have been there done that. One other site is not "all over the internet". Do NOT leave the house. Unless you want to
1. Lose the house.
2. Run the risk of being part of the "fault" in the no fault divorce. Affairs are brutal to prove in court. Leaving the home is not.

Old 04-19-2017, 02:08 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
This is the kind of thing caused me to advise you to get your advice from people who have been there done that. One other site is not "all over the internet". Do NOT leave the house. Unless you want to
1. Lose the house.
2. Run the risk of being part of the "fault" in the no fault divorce. Affairs are brutal to prove in court. Leaving the home is not.

yes, I second this one.

Do NOT leave the house before you haven't talked to an attorney. I worked for a family attorney in VA. Once you are out of the house, you'll never get back in.

Old 04-19-2017, 02:12 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,448,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Do NOT leave the house before you haven't talked to an attorney. I worked for a family attorney in VA. Once you are out of the house, you'll never get back in.
THIS!
Divorce 101.
Do not leave the house unless you want to lose the house.

Old 04-19-2017, 02:28 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,096,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I'm in the middle of a similar situation and my lawyer friend also gave me this advice. You have every right to remain in the home. If you leave (esp. if children are involved), it can be used against you in court. In my case, we have children with medical needs that often require both of us. Leaving takes me out of my children's daily routine leaving my wife to fend on her own. That can be used to influence visitation, alimony, and child support decisions if (hopefully not) it heads to court. (Not that I would do that to her nor my kids)

If you take any one advice from this thread, I say keep your head and think things through.. don't act on emotion no matter how hurt or angry.

Old 04-19-2017, 02:42 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I'm in the middle of a similar situation and my lawyer friend also gave me this advice. You have every right to remain in the home. If you leave (esp. if children are involved), it can be used against you in court. In my case, we have children with medical needs that often require both of us. Leaving takes me out of my children's daily routine leaving my wife to fend on her own. That can be used to influence visitation, alimony, and child support decisions if (hopefully not) it heads to court. (Not that I would do that to her nor my kids)

If you take any one advice from this thread, I say keep your head and think things through.. don't act on emotion no matter how hurt or angry.
yes, this one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships