Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 09:41 AM

10,342 posts, read 5,862,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
I'm curious if you ask to see proof of education?

How would you know if someone had a graduate degree or beyond?

I have degrees but I can confidently say that I walk and talk the same way I did before any of those graduations.
I was assuming Stan4 was kidding....A lot of times someone I'm talking to will disclose something about their having degrees, and I think to myself: 'well how the hell did that happen when you can't even spell?' (or use logic, or something similar). Not because I'm always an ass, but I often wonder what some people did for 4 to 8 years to end up not presenting as very educated. I'm not talking about them being humble about their education either.

To answer the OP: No. I can't see an education or feel one when I meet someone. It's the chemistry that's the deciding factor, and for me it works either way.

Last edited by RbccL; 04-19-2017 at 10:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 09:59 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,355,167 times
I care and I'm a guy. SOme girls care and some don't. They care more about your career than degree, but a degree is required for most careers. If you are a cop, fire fighter, or electrician, they might not care if you don't have a degree. But even a lot of those jobs require a 2 year degree now. Bottom line is if you have no degree or career, then 90% of girls who have degrees and careers won't want to date you.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:05 AM

10,342 posts, read 5,862,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
I care and I'm a guy. SOme girls care and some don't. They care more about your career than degree, but a degree is required for most careers. If you are a cop, fire fighter, or electrician, they might not care if you don't have a degree. But even a lot of those jobs require a 2 year degree now. Bottom line is if you have no degree or career, then 90% of girls who have degrees and careers won't want to date you.
And where did you get this statistical information?
I'm thinking of the women I know, and it's not an important enough deciding factor to have even come up in conversation. They're all educated as well.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:26 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,367,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Attractive (literally?) may be the wrong descriptor, it doesn't correlate with college degrees (e.g. there are attractive/unattractive men and women with and without college degrees).

"Girls" may prefer more intelligence, sense of humor, financial strength which correlates with college degrees in general. And I'd think "men" would prefer women with more intelligence, sense of humor, financial strength as well. Attractive is certainly a factor, but not conferred with a college degree.
Yeah. "Attractive" isn't really the right word here. "Compatible" best fits this context. I wasn't turned on by a dude's degree or two. Lol I was, however, intrigued and curious about educational backgrounds for a variety of reasons.

Old 04-19-2017, 11:14 AM

11,865 posts, read 16,997,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Their job is usually a clue.

And people usually discuss their upbringing, family, and schooling in "get to know you" conversations.

Hell, I was recently at a dive resort with 16 guests. This was not at all a dating situation and we were all complete strangers. Within a couple of days, we all knew where everyone had gone to school. Just casual conversation. Or a hat. Or a tshirt.

And anyone can lie, but that'll out.
I guess my question is more along the lines of how you know they're telling the truth. Maybe a lie will out them, but likely not.

I've met a handful of phds who work as contract/temp employees. A high school education can get you the same job. I was the one who hired them so I saw the background checks. The economy at that time was to blame for a bit of that.

I've also met some higher ups who've just been around long enough to become executives without more than a BA. A 40-something with a certificate in programming is a CTO at a very large tech company. An executive director at my previous company is a BA holder.

Judging based on job isn't accurate at all.

Old 04-19-2017, 11:37 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,031,187 times
Well, a degree in and of itself does not make you an educated person. It's what you do with your degree that truly matters, both in career and in the ongoing broadening and enrichment of your mind.

If you're some guy who got your degree and never cracked another book after getting your diploma, then you're not much better than the high school dropout. You just happened to stick with it another four years. If, on the other hand, you take your degree and continue to be expand on your academic career, then that makes you a more interesting person.

In other words, the question is worded poorly. Women are attracted to men with not just intellect, but lively intellect. Whether you get that by going to college or being a voracious reader is beside the point.

Old 04-19-2017, 12:33 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
Having lived and worked with MANY types of people over the years, I believe that personally, romantically and sexually, a partner having a college degree is NOT a requirement for happiness nor is it a guarantee of compatibility.

I didn't think that as a younger woman, but life experience has taught me otherwise.

Old 04-19-2017, 12:38 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,355,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
And where did you get this statistical information?
I'm thinking of the women I know, and it's not an important enough deciding factor to have even come up in conversation. They're all educated as well.
Well you could look at women who are educated with careers and see how many are married to men with no education or career. I don't know any. And its just common sense when you ask a women what she wants in a man. Top two things for career girls are education and career.

You also couldn't go by any surveys, because people often don't admit the truth in surveys and attraction is sub conscious. They might say they would date these men, but in practice they wouldn't.

Old 04-19-2017, 12:45 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,344,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert473 View Post
Do they?
Not necessarily...

Old 04-19-2017, 01:49 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,112,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
At least one graduate degree.
College degree is the new high school diploma.
It's very bare minimum.
Depending what the degree is and where its from, a BS electrical engineering degree from MIT is not the same as a civil engineering degree from insert state school or an art history degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships