Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 04:48 PM

194 posts, read 194,073 times

Advertisements

As title states, is it possible for husband and wife to live in different states? Say husband/wife/kid live in a state where one of the spouses hates the state they currently live in (ie. weather with constant rain). One spouse stays, and other spouse moves to a warmer state with the kid.

Been done before? Does it work out? Disaster in the making?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 04:52 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerboy View Post
As title states, is it possible for husband and wife to live in different states?
Can these people afford the second household? Then it's possible.
Actually, it happens a fair bit. Cheaper than divorce.

Old 04-19-2017, 05:15 PM

194 posts, read 194,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Can these people afford the second household? Then it's possible.
Actually, it happens a fair bit. Cheaper than divorce.
Yes, assume finances are not a hindrance. Both spouses have professional white collar jobs...

Old 04-19-2017, 06:20 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
Sometimes it makes the marriage more better.

I wouldn't be for it. I marry someone for the companionship and partnership.
It's like getting a dog and boarding it at the kennel all week.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:37 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,467,349 times
I think it can work for some people. It would not work for me. Out of sight, out of mind - and I'd find someone else if my spouse "abandoned" me this way.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:29 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,180,565 times
I know couple that have been married for over 30 years and have 2 adult children. Both are in academics and well respected in their fields. She was presented with a very good opportunity in another state, and he wasn't yet ready to retire from a tenured position, so they have been living apart in separate cities for the past few years. They travel back and forth a lot and/or meet in various locations and see each other frequently.

I can't imagine doing this, but as their daughter mentioned to me once, "it works for them". They have a wonderful relationship and a rock solid marriage. Maybe the strength in their relationship is why they felt comfortable with such an arrangement for a few years.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:35 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
Quote:
As title states, is it possible for husband and wife to live in different states? Say husband/wife/kid live in a state where one of the spouses hates the state they currently live in (ie. weather with constant rain). One spouse stays, and other spouse moves to a warmer state with the kid.

Military families sometimes do it under various circumstances. It's called geobaching, and isn't typically a permanent situation. It also can quite commonly put significant stress on marriages and families.

I've also known of academic couples who did it (mostly people without kids). One of my music professors was married to another music professor on the faculty of a conservatory several states away. They would make a point to spend one weekend a month together, and did so for years.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:48 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,530,236 times
My wife and I lived 70 miles apart for 6 years after we married. Neither one of us could afford to leave the job we had. Plus she was taking care of her sick mother and I wanted to spend time with my sons, living in the same town with their mother.
We took turns going to each other's homes on weekends.
This deal for you two will work only if you want it to. It's hard at times but "doable"

Old 04-20-2017, 08:15 AM

888 posts, read 555,258 times
I have friends who are married, live in the same city, but in separate houses. They both just don't have the desire to share a residence 100 percent of the time, but are committed to each other. Whatever works. I also have a relative who has been with the same woman for about 20 years, but they live in different cities, see each other a few times a month for a few weeks at a time.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:24 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,384,627 times
Quote:

I understand when families have to live separately because there are little to no other options but living in separate states simply because of a like/dislike of the location and especially because there is a child involved, I think is pretty selfish (assuming all other aspects of the marriage are satisfactory).

I mean we're not talking about living across town or an hour away where you can still come to Jr's tee-ball game or help Sissy with her homework on a Tuesday night.

How do you and your spouse feel about separating your child from one of his/her parents for long lengths of time? How does the one parent feel about missing out on significant portions of the child's life?

There has to be a compromise - for the child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships