U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 11:08 PM

26,087 posts, read 39,917,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
And young men into unstable ones.
I am sorry, I do not understand that comment.

What do you mean?

Every household has a home, a father, every child has a mother.

Many hands make the work lighter [as one polygamous Christian wife once told me]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 06:24 AM

10 posts, read 28,028 times
Women pressure men to marry them for a couple of reasons. First, I notice that many women don't know how to develop a life of their own. They don't have hobbies or interests, or if they do, many times it's not a sincere interest. They are just waiting for some guy to come along. Second, I see that many women have a big void in themselves. They can be educated, beautiful, etc., but still feel like nothing if they don't have a man or a baby. Finally, I believe this is what keeps women miserable and/or hooking up and staying with loser type guys who don't appreciate them.

Old 03-25-2016, 07:57 AM

1 posts, read 208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo2lowkey View Post
Recently I had a discusion with my wife about a friend telling her that she's tired of playing house with her mate of 4 years. My wife defended her friend of couse saying that if you live together, sleep together, pay bills, and etc. you should get married. Why do women feel the need for paperwork and ring. If your happy the way things are leave it. I dont buy into that saying if your not married a person can just walk out at anytime he tired of being together. Even with a certificant ones can still walk out.
Just get a dog. Same thing.

Old 03-25-2016, 08:38 AM

4,995 posts, read 2,409,538 times
Dug up a post from 2008 just to say that?

Old 03-25-2016, 08:50 AM

7,524 posts, read 5,176,458 times
Women want to get married for the financial and legal advantages. Once she gets married, she is entitled to at least 1/2 of all the family assets, even if she didn't earn a penny of it. IN the case of a divorce, she may also get some of his future income and pension. She will almost certainly get the children, unless she is a terrible mother. IN a domestic fight, she can complain that he is hitting her or abusing the children, and the authorities will most likely believe her, even if there is no evidence. So the legal and financial advantages are all hers in most cases. Why men even agree to marriage, except for religious reasons, I can't understand. Some estimates are the there are 50,000 in jail for failure to pay child support, very few women.

Now I'm sure many people will disagree, but if the legal advantages where on the man's side, I'm sure women would be protesting in the streets, and women would be much more likely to be cautious about getting married.

Old 03-25-2016, 10:43 AM

899 posts, read 420,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Women want to get married for the financial and legal advantages. Once she gets married, she is entitled to at least 1/2 of all the family assets, even if she didn't earn a penny of it. IN the case of a divorce, she may also get some of his future income and pension. She will almost certainly get the children, unless she is a terrible mother. IN a domestic fight, she can complain that he is hitting her or abusing the children, and the authorities will most likely believe her, even if there is no evidence. So the legal and financial advantages are all hers in most cases. Why men even agree to marriage, except for religious reasons, I can't understand. Some estimates are the there are 50,000 in jail for failure to pay child support, very few women.

Now I'm sure many people will disagree, but if the legal advantages where on the man's side, I'm sure women would be protesting in the streets, and women would be much more likely to be cautious about getting married.

I agree 100% if we are talking about the US. Women here have tremendous legal advantages when filing for separation and divorce. That is probably they initiate most divorces. In case of divorce, they typically get children, child support money and in many cases alimony. And I believe most US states demand that after the divorce, wife and children have to have the same life styles as before the divorce. That just means that the men will have a much lower standard of living. In practice, this means that US law makes men pay most of what they earn and leaves them in virtual poverty struggling to pay rent for a studio apartment. Despite all the useless and insincere talk about equality US women will never give up anything from which they can benefit.

I believe that in many European countries where the divorce offers less advantages to women the marriage rate is declining. This reason might be that women don't have much to gain from divorce so they are less motivated to marry. I am sure I will not read that in the official explanation for the decline in marriage rates.

Old 03-25-2016, 11:00 AM

19,945 posts, read 18,864,946 times
I didn't. Other way around for me, both times. It was the man each time who wanted marriage and who brought the subject up in advance of actually proposing.

As for legal advantages and so on in divorce, if anyone thinks most mentally healthy women are shrugging and thinking they can get married in order to divorce and hence better their situation - magically avoiding legal ugliness and accusations, horrific child custody issues, potential loss of property due to it being "divided" or one ex-spouse not being able to maintain it individually and the PROHIBITIVE expense of the divorce attorney alone, as well as generally woefully insufficient child support and, today, generally non-existent alimony, you're crazy...full stop.

Old 03-25-2016, 11:02 AM

1,883 posts, read 647,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Dug up a post from 2008 just to say that?

He's BAAAAAaaaack!

Old 03-25-2016, 11:06 AM

7,170 posts, read 2,850,948 times
If someone needs to apply pressure or be pressured in marriage, it's red flag #1 not to marry that person. In healthy, respectful relationships, the topic of marriage comes about organically, not through manipulation.

Old 03-25-2016, 11:07 AM

1,883 posts, read 647,540 times
Anyway, despite what the two more recent comments from men allude to, it's quite the opposite, as has been discussed ad nauseam on multiple threads on this forum in the EIGHT YEARS since the OP started this thread. For every angry or bitter guy who gets on here and talks about how women want marriage to game some kind of system, I can tell you about a woman who either resisted the notion of marriage or came away from a broken one with NONE of the alleged "benefits" of divorce these guys seem to believe women come away with. Heaven knows I didn't, and neither have my sisters or my friends.

But hey, let's necro a thread to give misogynists yet another outlet to spew their vitriol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships