Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 04:08 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,450,158 times

Advertisements

he isn't what you want and you will spend a lifetime trying to make him something he isn't if you continue.

Your choice to make, but remember whatever the choice is YOU made it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2017, 05:01 PM

241 posts, read 359,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, if being a SAHM is your vision of happiness and fulfilling life's purpose, you're with the wrong guy. How is this not obvious? Logically, since you're the one with a well-paying job and a career, he should be the SAHD.. There's nothing wrong with that. Kids need their dad, too. And as a working mom, you'd be a great role model for your kids, especially girls.

If you can't stomach that idea, move on.
This ^ also good advice.

Old 04-23-2017, 05:11 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,229,484 times
Just leave. 30 seems a bit too old for someone to develop new habits and work ethics. Not saying it's impossible but sometimes we can't change our nature.

For some reason I can't help but think the guy must be quite handsome for you to consider hanging on to him. I've read a few threads about women being interested in men who aren't the right fit for them but just hang around because they are so good-looking. I wonder if this the case.

Old 04-23-2017, 05:25 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,368,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
Staying with him doesn't mean you're being foolish or weak.

Leaving him doesn't mean you're shallow or strong.

It's simply a choice you have to make.
+1.

You two don't share compatible life and family goals. If these are important to you, which it seems like they are, it makes sense to factor them into your criteria for a long term partner. Decide whether you're willing to see if your life goals (family/parenting dynamics, financial/career outlook) can reach a point of compatibility, or if it's ultimately best to go your separate ways. I think forcing it, resigning yourself to accepting these incompatibilities, will eventually lead to resentment, frustration, disappointment, etc.

Old 04-23-2017, 05:47 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,540,646 times
He said he does not think he would be a good provider. You want a provider. It does not sound like you have compatible goals.

Old 04-23-2017, 05:53 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
You marry a person for who they are. Lots of marriages where women make more then the man.

Either you are okay with that or you are not.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-23-2017, 05:58 PM

1,158 posts, read 960,525 times
He's not the one for you. Move on. People who make bad financial decisions usually do not change. If he has no drive or ambition that is not likely to change either. What you see is what you get is a good rule to follow. Don't make the mistake of thinking someone is going to change.

Old 04-23-2017, 06:31 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,358,514 times
You'll be waiting until the cows come home. Best to move on before you're in too deep.

I had met a great guy as well and because of there was some things about him I really didn't like, I decided not to pursue it further with him.

Old 04-23-2017, 06:49 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,068,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
You should leave him for his sake. You want a provider and he's not going to become that. Don't make him miserable by trying to force him to be something he's not.
Bingo! My sister is trying to get her boyfriend to get a better job so that he can contribute the same amount or more than she is already doing. Good luck with that. He is doing the best that he can and its unlikely that he will be the bread winner that she wants. Truth be told, I like him much better than my sister so I told him to kick her to the curb and find a woman who will appreciate him for what he is. In an alternate universe, I'd snatch him up in a minute if he were gay. An all around solid guy.

Old 04-23-2017, 06:57 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,830,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, if being a SAHM is your vision of happiness and fulfilling life's purpose, you're with the wrong guy. How is this not obvious? Logically, since you're the one with a well-paying job and a career, he should be the SAHD.. There's nothing wrong with that. Kids need their dad, too. And as a working mom, you'd be a great role model for your kids, especially girls.

If you can't stomach that idea, move on.
That would be logical if he wanted to be a SAHD but in the OP, she states that he doesn't want that option. However, it is her dream that she would resent giving up. I'm pretty surprised that some posters here (not you Ruth4Truth) are calling her "shallow and self-centered" for the crime of wanting to care for her own children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships